Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Difference in tone when recorded Logic - Helix

nickrosmolen

hi guys, I've got a question about the helix tone I get from my DAW Logic. I run my helix into my studio monitors (KRK's) and via usb into my laptop straight into logic. 

So the problem is that the tone sounds different when it's recorded and I'm playing it back. When I am recording and playing my guitar parts, the tone sounds more lively then when i play it back from Logic. I can't really explain the difference in sound but it sounds less lively (full) with les high end (?) to me when it's recorded. I really hear difference in tone and obviously prefer the tone i get while i'm playing. 

Do you guys have any tips? 

Thanks! 

Nick

If you are direct monitoring the recording/playback path is exactly the same so it can't be any difference. However there is a chance you are doing something wrong eg. monitoring direct and software monitoring at the same time. In that case the latency makes comb filter with the direct signal which you may like better.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, zolko60 said:

If you are direct monitoring the recording/playback path is exactly the same so it can't be any difference. However there is a chance you are doing something wrong eg. monitoring direct and software monitoring at the same time. In that case the latency makes comb filter with the direct signal which you may like better.

hey man, thanks for your reply. So what do you mean with monitoring direct and software monitoring at the same time? 

26 minutes ago, zolko60 said:

sample rate of your session

thanks a lot for your help, i'm going to try to change the sample rate, its now on 44,1. Tomorrow i'm going to try higher freqs. 

I just played the recorded guitar parts back, and still think its different than the sound i get while i'm playing. The recorded part sound a litte bit like it's getting sucked away or something.. I added an audi file so you can listen

Sample .mp3

Hey Nick, I'm currently dealing with a very similar situation. I'm running my guitar -> Helix LT -> XLR out into my Focusrite 2i2 -> Presonus Eris E8's (also running USB out from the Helix LT directly into my computer. Instead of Logic, I use Ableton Live, and it seems that I'm running into the same issue; when I play my guitar through my monitors, I'm very pleased with the sound, but when I record and playback the audio, it sounds like it's somehow lost its luster, so to speak. I can definitely relate to feeling like it's not as bright or full sounding compared to live playing. Currently I'm recording through the inputs on the 2i2, so I'm gonna do some messing around on Ableton to see if I can solve the issue. IIRC, the outputs for USB out are 7/8, so that might fix it, need to experiment. With regards to the monitoring solution, when I have Ableton Live loaded up I turn off monitoring in Ableton because otherwise I'd be hearing the monitoring from the 2i2 and Ableton at the same time. Monitoring my signal through Ableton sounds fine when playing live, the issue only becomes apparent after recording something. Hoping to figure this out. 

In settings > audio > general, is "Software Monitoring" checked?

In that case, when you record enable a track in Logic, (R of the channel appears in solid red), the channel fader needs to be dragged down because otherwise you'll also listen through software monitoring - shouldn't exactly sound better, though, but then, it might as well result in a thickening doubler effect.

Otherwise, I'm using Logic as well, Helix as an interface, no issues that would be similar to what you describe.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...