Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Guidance requested on running electric/piezo at the same time

Lone_Poor_Boy

So I have a Tele that has a Fishman Powerbridge with a stereo out I use to split and run Electric>FX>Amp, and Piezo>LR Baggs Para Acoustic>PA, with a mix knob between the normal two Tele knobs.  It sounded AMAZING when playing, especially with a slight mix of both, but I stopped using it live years ago because of cables, setup etc, when it wasn't my main.

Reading someone else's post today I realized 'HOLY CRAP', I think I can so much more easily do this into the Helix!  But I have no idea what to setup for acoustic/piezo and I've barely begun on Helix, so I wanted to ask if anyone could make a basic recommended setup for the two paths.  I don't need electric FX or amps, but do need;

1) Piezo chain recommendation

2) Front-end/in setup for both

3) Backend/out setup for both

4) But feel free to make any other recommendations!

Also a question or two;

1) Should I split the stereo cable and run into two 1/4" inputs (a little more cumbersome) or;

2) Just use the stereo cable into one stereo input, and split the path internally in the Helix? (one cable)

My Helix output goes into either a PC112+, a Fishman SA330x or a JBL LSR305 w/sub monitor system.  If it works for one it works for all three, I have found.

EDIT: Is there a preset that is already setup for this?  I don't mind tweaking at all.  I just need a little help to get started.

I struggled with piezo settings originally, as I recently got a piezo equipped LTD and wasn't quite sure of the easiest way of dealing with things. My computer setup sounds similar, and the way I tackled it was by using two cables - regular pickup jack on guitar to guitar in on Helix, and piezo jack on guitar to aux in on Helix.

On the preset, if you set the input block on path A to guitar in and the input block on path B to aux in, you can then use path A as a regular guitar, and path B as the piezo. I found that the key to getting a good acoustic sound was using an acoustic IR, I used a free IR that I found online. I can share this preset if you'd like.

Just wanted to thank Porky_Pie for sending me the preset and IR.

I gotta say, this is the best damn forum. Not a ton of activity, but what activity there is matters, most of the time.  The names that are always chiming in and willing to help;  R2D2, Shiny_Head, Amsterdam guy, Squirty, Phil_harmonic, and so many others!  ; )

I apologize if I left you out.  This was off the cuff, tongue in cheek, and I've only been hanging here since March.  I've been spending a lot of time here just reading people's issues and the solutions provided as I think it will serve me well as I dig deeper into the Helix.

Thanks all!

On 4/26/2020 at 10:55 AM, porky_pie said:

I struggled with piezo settings originally, as I recently got a piezo equipped LTD and wasn't quite sure of the easiest way of dealing with things. My computer setup sounds similar, and the way I tackled it was by using two cables - regular pickup jack on guitar to guitar in on Helix, and piezo jack on guitar to aux in on Helix.

On the preset, if you set the input block on path A to guitar in and the input block on path B to aux in, you can then use path A as a regular guitar, and path B as the piezo. I found that the key to getting a good acoustic sound was using an acoustic IR, I used a free IR that I found online. I can share this preset if you'd like.

I'd like to try this preset and ir too please.

I've sent them both to you via PM.

To echo Lone_Poor_Boy, he's quite right about this forum being incredibly helpful.  Spent a lot of time listening (well, reading) and learning, and occasionally getting help from people far more knowledgeable than I, so thank you all for your input. 

• Upvote 1