Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tried The Amplifi 75 And....

Tones2

I tried the AMPLIFi 75 at a local Guitar Center over the weekend. Because it's Guitar center, they of course did NOT have any iOS device there setup to test it fully, and since I'm an Android guy I wasn't carrying one either. So I was stuck testing it with just the built in presets.

Given that limitation, the amp pretty much sucked as a guitar amp. The default presets are terrible, but this is not unusual for a Line 6 amp. I usually have to create my own presets for a decent sound but I could not do it without an iOS device. Also, I could not get any of the knobs on the amp to do anything. Drive, the Tone controls and the reverb / effects knobs did NOTHING to the sound that I could hear. What am I missing?

Also, I assume the "Blend" control was the "Volume" for the amp, but even at pretty much all the way up this thing was not loud AT ALL. I compared a  10 watt solid state "Acoustic" brand practice amp in the store and the 10 watt amp was louder. Also, my solid state 75 att Spider IV is like 10 TIMES louder than this amp. What gives? Could the default channel volume be set really low? I don't understand why this thing is only as loud as like a 5 watt solid state amp.

So no sale here unless I'm really missing something. Certainly a manual would help.

• Upvote 1

So what could I be possibly missing then? This app was definitely not loud by anyone's definition. It was less loud than the 10 watt solid state amp right next to it. Definitely not loud enough to be heard over a drummer, even alone without the rest of the band.

Is there another master volume control other than "blend"? Note that I had drive fully on to the right and all tone controls at 12 o'clock.

is it true you can't stream anything unless it is physically on your phone?

you can Bluetooth stream from anywhere, you need to have the music on the IOS7 device for the AMPLIFi tonematching to work.

So what could I be possibly missing then? This app was definitely not loud by anyone's definition. It was less loud than the 10 watt solid state amp right next to it. Definitely not loud enough to be heard over a drummer, even alone without the rest of the band.

Is there another master volume control other than "blend"? Note that I had drive fully on to the right and all tone controls at 12 o'clock.

+1 to Wooly: if the "white" volume is low the overall volume for the guitar will seem weak.  The presets were originally written to be balanced with the guitar volume (white) at 40% and the red volume wherever needed, but if you are using it as a guitar amp we recommend moving the "white" volume to 75%+ to get the most volume from the "red" (overall) volume.

you can Bluetooth stream from anywhere, you need to have the music on the IOS7 device for the AMPLIFi tonematching to work.

so I have to buy the song and download it onto my phone to see what tone works with it...  if I don't own it, I can't match it,,,  another fail...

EDIT - you can't tone match streaming songs or from the cloud.  It has to be physically on your phone but you don't have to "buy" it, you can copy your CD or transfer from your computer.  That still implies that you "bought" the original material because of course, you wouldn't illegally download it would you?  This just smacks of digital rights issues and I don't get it.  It supposedly is pulling the info from a database in the cloud so what difference does it make if the song is on your phone unless there is some copyright BS involved along the way?  Probably enforced as a condition of getting the app on iTunes...

Glad I don't want it, I have enough stuff to play with as it is...

First: I suspect that in pushing stuff in and out without really knowing what does what, Tones2 turned down the guitar in the mix inadvertantly. Thus he got a "not loud at all" result. Mine, which I didn't just test in the store but brought home, is quite loud, though it didn't peel the paint off my walls or turn my eardrums to flaccid bubblegum. It's 75 watts. But only 75 watts. I compared it to a 10W, and it wasn't even close, the Amplifi blew it away.

Second: I don't know why I keep hearing that tone matching only works with tunes you buy in the iTunes store. It works on mine with everything I've recorded from my CDs. There isn't usually an exact tone for much, but there are plenty of tone matched suggestions. I don't have to buy any track to get tone matching working.

Third: I thought the presets were decent, a good range and good illustration. (I must admit, sometimes I think that the "all the presets suck, which is to be expected," is just tone-snob boasting--"Those guys don't know jack about tone, I know all about it!" I've never failed to find a strong complement of excellent presets in every pedal or amp I've ever bought, Boss, Peavey, Line 6, Zoom, Roland, etc. Sure, most contain among their hundreds lots of weird patches that really just illustrate how one particular effect works. But always lots of very usable stuff too. I find all four presets on the Amplifi 75 to not suck.)

I agree, not very loud and I have the 150. My Egnater 20-watt literally destroys the volume on this thing.

Annoyances:

1. The sound is VERY directional. Not what I expected or was hoping for, but workable.
2. iTunes Match not integrated.
3. Inability to adjust the EQ settings for bluetooth streaming on the amp.

4. Volume for patches are extremely different and it's difficult to arrive at a similar volume level for a high gain patch and a clean patch. I crank the volume on the clean amps to 100%, while keeping the high gain amps at 50% and the high gain is way louder. 
5. Blend doesn't seem to "scale" correctly, but perhaps this is lack of understanding on my part. For instance, if I want to keep it quiet so as to not disturb the family, I can set the blend and master volumes to matching levels. However, when it's time to up the master volume, the blend volume doesn't always continue to match, forcing you to re-blend. It will also distort badly when doing so, if it does match the volume as you raise it. It seems to me that this should be a percentage deal. If I have the master volume at 10% to 20%, then adjust the blend, when I re-adjust the master volume, the blend should scale right along with the master.

you dont have to buy it.. it just has to reside physically on your phone...

meaning it wont tone match streaming music... or a music library that's in the cloud...

you can get mp3's or music files from anywhere... the files just have to be on the phone for tone matching to work.

so I have to buy the song and download it onto my phone to see what tone works with it...  if I don't own it, I can't match it,,,  another fail...

I agree, not very loud and I have the 150. My Egnater 20-watt literally destroys the volume on this thing.

Annoyances:

1. The sound is VERY directional. Not what I expected or was hoping for, but workable.

2. iTunes Match not integrated.

3. Inability to adjust the EQ settings for bluetooth streaming on the amp.

4. Volume for patches are extremely different and it's difficult to arrive at a similar volume level for a high gain patch and a clean patch. I crank the volume on the clean amps to 100%, while keeping the high gain amps at 50% and the high gain is way louder. 

5. Blend doesn't seem to "scale" correctly, but perhaps this is lack of understanding on my part. For instance, if I want to keep it quiet so as to not disturb the family, I can set the blend and master volumes to matching levels. However, when it's time to up the master volume, the blend volume doesn't always continue to match, forcing you to re-blend. It will also distort badly when doing so, if it does match the volume as you raise it. It seems to me that this should be a percentage deal. If I have the master volume at 10% to 20%, then adjust the blend, when I re-adjust the master volume, the blend should scale right along with the master.

Sounds like a good list of things needing fixed before the thing ever left the gate, eh?

I purchased a 150 a few days ago and have enjoyed using it so far. I've found it simple to operate and fun to use as a practice amp. I like that it doesn't look like my other guitar amps (especially if you can't see the controls). To me, it seems like something Apple would have designed if they had applied their aesthetics to a traditional guitar amp. I never before appreciate how ugly the top strap of a guitar amp can be and that it's not an essential component if you have a recessed channel to stick your hand into for transport. I think it sounds awesome as an iPhone or iPad driven bluetooth speaker. It blows away my big Jambox and Bose Soundlink, especially on songs that feature subwoofer-type frequencies. I also have a StageSource L3T and find that the 150's sound output is comparable when playing the same recorded songs through each. I've found it easy to use with both my iPhone and iPad, as long as I've first downloaded the iTunes Match song to the device. The tones that load automatically when using the Amplifi app appear to be ones from Line6's GuitarPort (i.e., Wolf Marshall created the tone for an SRV lick or someone created the lead and rhytmn tones for a ZZ top song). Like anything, some tones sound great and some don't. As people use the app, I'd expect the tones to continually improve over time.

I don't understand how someone can accurately state that the Amplifi 150 is not loud enough to play with a live band or drummer. Possibly they don't understand how to max out the volume? On the Amplifi the same volume button controls the guitar channel volume (push down and see white LEDs) and also the master volume of the entire amp (don't push down and you only see red LEDs when you turn the knob). When both the white and red LEDs are cranked, I find the amp much too loud for any club that I've ever played in. If someone is wanting to use the amp for a larger venue, they'd typically mic the speaker output to FOH PA. At this time, I plan to continue using my dream rig for gigs, however, I used the Amplifi for rehearsal last night and stuck with one great tone throughout.

The only concern I've had to date is that the recessed channel doesn't hold my iPad or iPhone upright at an angle like I thought it would. If you don't have a cover attached to your IOS device, it slips down into the lowest part of the channel and then stands unstable at almost a 90 degree angle. Yet, with a cover for the device providing either friction or balance from the rear, the IOS device is stable and the touchscreen is at a usable angle to select songs and tweak tones.

• Upvote 1

You must play with a very quiet drummer

can someone confirm if the full guitar sound comes out all five drivers or is it like a wet-dry-wet type deal where the base tone comes out the "guitar" speaker (still not sure how you have guitar speaker be a program sub as well, but I'm no designer) and the ambience effects are in the sides?

Anyone have a chance to compare the 75 and 150 side by side?

I almost ordered the 150, but chose the 75 thinking my needs were modest.  Now I wonder if I should either exchange it for the 150 or just return it and wait for something more developed.

Admittedly, I'm a hobbyist without much time to play.  I've wanted something simple that will allow me to dive into a tone/song without much fuss, but also allow me to quickly and easily experiment as much as I'd like (and without a deep dive into a manual).  This seems to offer that, but I'm a little disappointed that my old practice amp and even my Griffin Twenty (hooked to some JBL Pro IIIs) seems to have more headroom.  Granted, I've only had it a night and haven't had much time to experiment with it.

I bought the 150 last night after thinking that is all I need. I traded in my Orange Tiny Terror combo and 3 great pedals.

My results:

Did I do the right thing? This amp has basically everything. Great sound, zillions of effects thru my IPad.

I feel the effects are very digital and have no real depth. I also find when I change effects, sometimes I do not get the right effect because it appears to be stuck on the one before. Hmmm!!!

Next I wanted to find a a super clean mellow chorus, but all I can get is some spacey, modulated mess. Frustrating!

Next, does anyone think that this amp sounds analog? Like my wonderful All tube Orange combo. I am in a classic rock band, how am I suppose to find a good suitable sound for that,....

Has anyone found a real Manual online? My search has led me here.

I am using this amp as my everything amp, ....I miss my Orange tube amp..

However I am trying to love this 150. It's too bad that you cannot try ever hung this beast can do in the store. I'd wounded hoe many people actually just bought the amp hoping the staff would be very knowledgable even thou the guy at GC where I got mine said I just took it out of the box 2 hours ago, and didn't know anything but just the presets which rant too bad at all.

Btw..if you crank the amp at 3:00...it's sounds like 80 watts but not 150. BUT it was louder than any thing at GC I have ever heard...

Let's see if you guys can talk me in too keeping this thing or returning it for a real tube amp...PS..I can smell oranges in the kitchen..lol

I was intrigued by this amp but had fairly moderate expectations of its modelling and ability. I recently sold my Zoom multi-effects as I've developed an aversion to little screens and menus. Must be eyesight as get older :D  I intended getting the Boss ME80 as most settings are refreshingly written and directly switched to, but a bit overkill for hobbyist bedroom playing.

I took the App into PMT which they appreciated as they hadn't got round to setting anything up yet, and I had pre-DL Gary Moore and Hendrix tones as I didn't have much else stored on my phone. (Have now realised you don't need tracks to get tones!  I and the salesman had wide grins as we realised how simple and effective the tone matching was. I had had no intention to buy now, just really wanted to discount Amplifi, but ended up walking away with the stocked Fi75.

How good the tones are ultimately, I'm not sure, more important to me, is they sound better than most of the ones I spent ages trying to forge myself on 3 pedals and my multi-effects unit. Nice and simple, and song playback is a big plus compared with using a guitar amp lacking high frequencies. I also like to plug into Rocksmith on Xbox and play along, sound here is very good but is a 'Mono' sound unless headphones were plugged in .... or head was up against cab!

I love my Variax JTV59 , but all of a sudden, it is so much more meaningful trying different guitars and settings to match the Amplifi's backing, merging into the track. Overall so far, well pleased.

Few queries for those who have had it longer:

When a tone is downloaded, is it best to have all amp dials at 12 o'clock? On some effects these alter things dramatically, and if say Drive was set at lowest setting before DL, you could only adjust upwards, or if it gets left full on, you could only adjust downwards. What I mean is, is downloaded tone meant to play correctly with Drive, FX, Reverb, Bass etc all set to 12 o'clock? 

Also, how do you know what effect the FX knob alters (sometimes it works, other times it doesn't do anything)

I have saved DLs to My Tones. Cant find a use for Favourites or how to use it?

• Like 1

1: When a tone is downloaded, is it best to have all amp dials at 12 o'clock? On some effects these alter things dramatically, and if say Drive was set at lowest setting before DL, you could only adjust upwards, or if it gets left full on, you could only adjust downwards. What I mean is, is downloaded tone meant to play correctly with Drive, FX, Reverb, Bass etc all set to 12 o'clock? 

2: how do you know what effect the FX knob alters (sometimes it works, other times it doesn't do anything)

3: I have saved DLs to My Tones. Cant find a use for Favourites or how to use it?

1: It doesn't matter where you have the amp knobs, once the preset is loaded to the amp you can adjust between 0-100 percent.  if the knob was physically at 90% but the preset is at 10% a touch of the knob will jump to ~90...  which has caused a bit of confusion over the years.

2: you can assign the "FX" knob in the app - just hold the effect parameter (i.e. delay mix) in the app for a couple seconds and it will show an icon for FX control.

3: "Favorites" can be used if you have a certain tone you like to work with a certain track - selecting "favorite" will pull that one to the top.   with a song like "back in black" there are LOTS of presets that may come up, once you favorite your preferred tone that will be the top tone so you don't need to search through them all each time. 

• Upvote 1

I swapped my 75 for a 150 after a week. The 75 sounds ok, but it has a bit of subwoofer vibe to it. The 150 doesn't sound as good at lower volumes, but once you start pushing the 12 it starts to really outshine the 75. You can hear the stereo separation better as well. I built a really nice sounding JC120 clean, probably as good as anything else I've heard. I dl'd and tweaked a BillyG, a Gary Moore, and Robin Ford and saved them. I also wanna nail Alvin Lee's Big Red tone with my Sheraton and the AmpliFi. And BB of course, oh and some woman tone.....ok ok i'll stop now

Thanks Andy Paredes for your answers above. For some reason quoting your post is not working. Even Copy and Paste will not work for me in this forum!

re 2) I cannot see how to assign FX knob in App. using iPhone.  Holding say Decay within Reverb  does nothing. Never see an icon for FX Control.  

Ah, have found FX knob in Mix for Analog Delay w/Mod. But it cannot be switched by holding any other parameter. It seems fixed to a certain parameter?

re 3) how do you 'favourite' your preferred tone? Can Edit but see no other button. There is an empty Favourites Tab in App underneath My Tones on Home screen.

To charlyg ...

So your experience is that at lower volumes the 75 sounds better than the 150 but at higher volumes the 150 sounds best? I've been debating returning my 75 for the 150 BUT since I mainly use my amp at home at lower volumes I'm now thinking I bought the right one for my purposes. Has anyone else done any A/B comparisons? Would love to get some other opinions/observations on this. Thanks.

Some interesting posts both positive and negative. My thoughts...

I'm a gadget freak so when I saw this amp I thought,'got to have one'. I was going to get the 150 - being led by the usual Line 6 hyperbole about it being a real gigging amp etc. - but instead went for the 75 as I had just got rid of my Yamaha THR10 (about which I also believed the marketing boasts!) and thought it would at least make a good practice amp with the bonus of the built-in music player.

I dutifully downloaded the app, updated the firmware, plugged in and...pleasantly surprised. Good, usable clean tones and the app seemed to respond well. Simple to connect and once you get the way the volume/level balance works, plenty loud enough for a home amp. But as a gigging amp, I don't think so.

First off, 75 tranny watts are definitiely NOT 75 tube watts and my AC15 would have the Line 6 cowering in a corner. I also would advise any potential buyer not to expect tube-like tones. You will get Line 6's versions of tube tones, but as we all know, these are approximations at best. However, I stuck a Shure SM57 in front of it, recorded a few pieces using the Amplifi and the Vox and I have to say, most of the people I asked were pretty evenly split about which they thought was the true tube amp and the modeled versions. Not sure if that says more about the people I know or the amps, buy there ya go!

So, trying to get things into perspective, my hand-wired Vox AC15 cost me £800 ($1200) and has one - possibly two - amazing, very loud sounds. The Amplifi 75 cost me £250 ($375) and has an almost infinite range of sounds, virtually every stomp box you can imagine, is plenty loud enough for home use, has a decent built-in music player, works with my FBV foot pedal and looks pretty cool too.

Not for everyone, but does what it does very well indeed.

Andrew H13 said...

I cannot see how to assign FX knob in App. using iPhone.  Holding say Decay within Reverb  does nothing. Never see an icon for FX Control.  

Ah, have found FX knob in Mix for Analog Delay w/Mod. But it cannot be switched by holding any other parameter. It seems fixed to a certain parameter?

--------------------------

Hi Andrew.  OPERATING TIP: I just saw this posting by Andy Paredes (thanks Andy!)  and I was wondering about the FX knob too.  I had a chance to try a few things and I think I've figured it out.  You might have figured it out by now, but in case you haven't this might help -- and maybe help the next person trying to figure this out.  

For starters, let me say -- I have a Amplifi 150 and use an iPhone 4S.

I wasn't exactly sure what Andy meant by "holding the effects parameter" so I tried a few things and found one that worked.  I will give a very direct step-by-step example so you can see what I'm saying: 

I selected a tone (Stir It Up Solo) which I downloaded to one of the four patches on my amp. I opened AMPLIFIED 150 from the main page of the app which shows the four patches. I selected the Stir It Up Solo patch ( via the right arrow in the cicle) and this took me to the "editor" page.  From there, I selected the "Mod" icon in the "guitar-to-speaker" chain at the top of the page.

This then displayed three parameters for the Mod Phaser.  These are horizontal (blue) sliders similar to the ones on the "editor" page. They are labled "Speed", "Mix" and "Feedback".

I held my finger down on the "Mix" slider and in a few seconds a message opened on the screen that said "Tweek Assign". I selected "OK" and it went back to the sliders, now showing the FX knob on the "Mix" slider.

I clicked on "Save Info", and saved it back to my AMPLIFI 150.

Now here's the thing -- these changes won't work while you're using the app!  You need to get out of the app, close it up and go to the amp.  From the amp you need to select the tone letter (ABC or D) assigned to the patch. From there, you can adjust the parameter using the amp's FX knob.

Sorry for this wordy explanation but I want to be as specific as I can so others can decode this process.

Of course, if Line 6 would just issue a proper manual -- this type of explanation wouldn't be needed!   AE

• Upvote 1

Thanks Eddy, not likely to find that by chance!  So it only works on a Saved-to Amp tone?

Again, cant quote your post, no trouble on many other Forums!  After pressing Quote button, shouldn't post be shown in Reply box? What am I doing wrong?

Hi Andrew. I'm new to Line 6 products so I can't be certain, but it seems to me it only works on saved-to amp tones. 

Not sure about your quote question either.  I did the same as you (pressed the quote button), and your comments showed up in the box above.  Things that make you go hmmm...

• 4 weeks later...

I can't figure out how to start a new string, so I'm posting in this one. 

I've got an AMPLIFI 75 that just died. It was working fine until I plugged a FBV Express MkII into it. After that, when I turned on the power, the pedal lights flashed on and off briefly, but the amp didn't work. The four preset LEDs were dimly lit up, but the bluetooth light didn't come on, and the volume LEDs around the main knob were unlit. 

I unplugged the foot pedal, recycled the power, and got the same thing. Just the four tone LEDs weakly flashing. No sound, no lights around the volume knob.

I did some reading on Line 6 web site and found I could reset factory presets by holding down the volume knob and tone buttons simultaneously while powering up. No help. The amp seems dead. It does make a slight speaker pop when I turn it off, so I know there is power, but nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any ideas about what I might try before I return the amp (it's only been used for a week)?

• 1 month later...

Just brought my 150 home last Saturday. iPad is on order, but I'm using my wife's in the interim. It is loud enough to hurt. I've had a couple of tube amps in the past, 100W JCM 800 with 4x12 cab, 50W JCM 900 2x12 combo, Egnater Rebel 20.

I will say that the 150W of the Line 6 does not seem as loud as the JCM 800 through a 4x12. I sold the 800 way back in 1987 so my memory is taxed.

So far, I like it. The database of settings is a little light, but that should improve over time. I like the fact that I can get rid of some pedals (reverb, stomp, and the tuner . . . keeping the POG2).

Andrew H13 said...

I cannot see how to assign FX knob in App. using iPhone.  Holding say Decay within Reverb  does nothing. Never see an icon for FX Control.  

--------------------------

Hi Andrew.  OPERATING TIP: I just saw this posting by Andy Paredes (thanks Andy!)  and I was wondering about the FX knob too.  I had a chance to try a few things and I think I've figured it out.  You might have figured it out by now, but in case you haven't this might help -- and maybe help the next person trying to figure this out.  

For starters, let me say -- I have a Amplifi 150 and use an iPhone 4S.

I wasn't exactly sure what Andy meant by "holding the effects parameter" so I tried a few things and found one that worked.  I will give a very direct step-by-step example so you can see what I'm saying: 

I selected a tone (Stir It Up Solo) which I downloaded to one of the four patches on my amp. I opened AMPLIFIED 150 from the main page of the app which shows the four patches. I selected the Stir It Up Solo patch ( via the right arrow in the cicle) and this took me to the "editor" page.  From there, I selected the "Mod" icon in the "guitar-to-speaker" chain at the top of the page.

This then displayed three parameters for the Mod Phaser.  These are horizontal (blue) sliders similar to the ones on the "editor" page. They are labled "Speed", "Mix" and "Feedback".

I held my finger down on the "Mix" slider and in a few seconds a message opened on the screen that said "Tweek Assign". I selected "OK" and it went back to the sliders, now showing the FX knob on the "Mix" slider.

I clicked on "Save Info", and saved it back to my AMPLIFI 150.

Now here's the thing -- these changes won't work while you're using the app!  You need to get out of the app, close it up and go to the amp.  From the amp you need to select the tone letter (ABC or D) assigned to the patch. From there, you can adjust the parameter using the amp's FX knob.

Sorry for this wordy explanation but I want to be as specific as I can so others can decode this process.

Of course, if Line 6 would just issue a proper manual -- this type of explanation wouldn't be needed!   AE

This only seems to work on a few parameters. Not sure why. IMHO it should always be allowed on FX's mix or depth parameter, even if shared by multiple effects simultaneously.

• 2 years later...

I can't figure out how to start a new string, so I'm posting in this one. 

I've got an AMPLIFI 75 that just died. It was working fine until I plugged a FBV Express MkII into it. After that, when I turned on the power, the pedal lights flashed on and off briefly, but the amp didn't work. The four preset LEDs were dimly lit up, but the bluetooth light didn't come on, and the volume LEDs around the main knob were unlit. 

I unplugged the foot pedal, recycled the power, and got the same thing. Just the four tone LEDs weakly flashing. No sound, no lights around the volume knob.

I did some reading on Line 6 web site and found I could reset factory presets by holding down the volume knob and tone buttons simultaneously while powering up. No help. The amp seems dead. It does make a slight speaker pop when I turn it off, so I know there is power, but nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any ideas about what I might try before I return the amp (it's only been used for a week)?

same for me with my amplifi 150. I am so bummed.

• 1 year later...

is it true you can't stream anything unless it is physically on your phone?

No. I stream songs from YouTube Red all the time so I can go back to the remote app and change something if I want to. The automatic tonematch only works with files that you have in your phone. Having said this, you can go to "Tones/cloud" and search manually by song or band name and get a bunch of hits unless it's a band no one knows. In that case I recommend you go to "Tones/amplifi" and browse the 100 preset tones you have on the amp. You can further modify these tones in the editor, add/change effects, cabinets, parameters and then save to the app or the amp. You can access these tones also with a fbv foot controller and bank down or up and then have of abcd in that bank.

Regarding the volume it's plenty loud and I have used it for practice and gigs. Loud drummer, other guitarist and base......and I didn't need to even go to 25% of the volume. Even in gigs I have done it through a PA and without plugged in a PA and it was plenty loud.

Sounds are terrific. If you want versatile in one place this does the job. Now.....I do have to say that playing pleasure of a cranked out tube amp is heaven and not comparable but the sound for a gig or practice is negligible. I can match any song perfectly or very closely.

People that swear there is a huge sound difference are the same ones that say they can tell the difference from different brands of vodka. Got news for you.....it's impossible. Unless you are Russian and have been fed vodka since you were a baby you can't tell. Same as with tones. The 0.5% of people that can tell the difference are not in a bar saying that guitar would sound better through a tube amp. Nope. 99.5% of the people at the bar want you to sound rocking in order to have a good time. This accomplishes that easily.

You mentioned accessing the tones with the foot controller... which one? What difference in functionality to the different foot pedals provide?

Im referring specifically to the FBV MKII shortboard foot controller from Line 6.  Everything you can do with the foot controller can be done with the iOS app.  The only thing is with the iOS app you've got to stop playing to operate it and the foot controller you just step on it.  In the app you can turn on and off effects for a specific patch but with the foot controller you always have the stomp, modulate, delay and reverb buttons you can turn on and off even if its in the specific tone or not.  I like using this since with one specific tone I can press delay or stomp or modulate as the song needs it.  If the delay for example or the modulator effect is not how I want it I can edit it with the app and then save it.  In a live situation its easier for me to bank down and up, press ABCD depending on the tone I want for a specific song and then add delay or take it away for example or go from clean to stomp with a press of the pedal.  

I haven't used its capabilities with garageband yet, but Ive read you can control recordings with the foot pedal.  All in all, the foot pedal just makes it easier to change effects and tones depending on a song or a part of the song.  There is a youtube video about it.  

Well it hasn't arrived yet, so i gave them a call and it turns out there was a mix up with shipping blah blah. Long story short, it was sent today :(

On the plus side, they threw in a free set of Elixer Nanoweb strings, so there's that.

Will post again when i try it out :)

Well it hasn't arrived yet, so i gave them a call and it turns out there was a mix up with shipping blah blah. Long story short, it was sent today :(

On the plus side, they threw in a free set of Elixer Nanoweb strings, so there's that.

Will post again when i try it out :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at getting in the future an L2T and pair it up with An HD500x

Wow that would be a monstrous combo. Would love to hear how it pans out.

So i got my amplifi 150, and have tweaked it a fair bit. Gotta say, i'm luvin this thing. I don't have a great deal of spare time (what with kids n all) to play around with presets, so being able to download other people's presets that sound like the songs i'm playing is a huge bonus for me. It has a great sound for a digi amp, and as long as you don't go in expecting a tube sound i can't see how you can be disappointed with it.

Updating and connecting with an android device proved a little troublesome, but thanks to these forums i got there in the end.

I've been able to save about 8 different effects into the user banks, and access them all with the FBV3, no difficulties at all. 

For my purposes, i wouldn't go less than the 150, but people just have to go in knowing what they want i guess.

Very happy with it :)