Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT Update to 2.9 - Boot Failure / "Connection Interrupted"

crawdad689

Hi,

I just updated to HX Edit 2.9, which went smooth. Then I updated from 2.6 to 2.9 Helix LT firmware. I got an error message saying to power the device off, reconnect the USB cable, etc. so I did. I noticed I had a USB extension cable attached, so I bypassed that in case it was the culprit.

After powering off and on my Helix LT mid-update, I now get a "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!" error message on the screen. When I start HX Edit with the LT connected and powered on, at the bottom center of my my computer display, it shows "Connecting...", and this message hangs for up to 30-45 seconds before changing to "No device connected" or sometimes "Connection Interruption".

What's the best course of action at this point? One of the hard reset options discussed in the second post of this thread? https://line6.com/support/topic/48425-solved-installed-28-helix-rack-bricked-cant-roll-back-boot-mode-does-fail/

15 hours ago, crawdad689 said:

One of the hard reset options

I would try buttons 6 & 12 while turning on the power to your LT. This should boot into “Safe Mode” and hopefully let you reconnect to perform the update once more. Make sure that you are not using a USB hub to connect (some PC towers have ports on the front that work like a hub) and turn off or disconnect anything else that may interfere with the link. Launch HX Edit 2.9 and it should automatically detect your hardware and inform you that a software update is available (firmware 2.91). Select the option to update and let HX Edit do its stuff. 

If all goes well, your Helix LT will reboot and start to rebuild the presets. When that is finished load your previous backup of your LT’s presets, Globals and IRs then restart your hardware once more and let it do the rebuild once more, then it should be done.

Good luck

Thank you for the reply. When I hold down 6 & 12 (top right and bottom right- most buttons), the LT display shows only "Entered Update Mode!", but I'm still not able to connect in HX Edit. I get the same error every time I try to reconnect. I tried using my MacBook Air's other USB port, and also tried a new USB cable with the same result. Super frustrating. I emailed Line 6 yesterday and haven't heard back yet.

Just spoke with customer service, and they were quite helpful - I had old Updater software. After installing the latest version and booting in safe mode, it was able to get me right back to where my update left off, and everything was fully updated within a couple of minutes with no need to restore anything from back-up. Yay!

24 minutes ago, crawdad689 said:

Just spoke with customer service, and they were quite helpful - I had old Updater software. After installing the latest version and booting in safe mode, it was able to get me right back to where my update left off, and everything was fully updated within a couple of minutes with no need to restore anything from back-up. Yay!

Sorry for the delayed response, but it’s the way of the world right now.

Good to know you managed to get your LT fixed and updated.

I would have made exactly the same suggestion of reverting to an earlier version and try again. It really is amazing how many people post on here saying that the firmware has “bricked” their Helix. Erm... no! These things a built like tanks and all that’s happening is software is getting screwed up. Unless you have smoke coming out of the hardware it should be salvageable.

Yay! Have fun with the toy and stay safe!

I'm still stuck on Entered Update Mode! and not Line 6 updater nor HX Edit seems to kick my Helix floor out of Boot Failure Entered Update Mode. All I was trying to do was update from 2.90 to 2.91 and my HX Edit crashed midway. 

2 hours ago, ferzad said:

I'm still stuck on Entered Update Mode! and not Line 6 updater nor HX Edit seems to kick my Helix floor out of Boot Failure Entered Update Mode. All I was trying to do was update from 2.90 to 2.91 and my HX Edit crashed midway. 

Hi ferzad,

You could run through the Factory reset procedures to get to the stage where you can try again:

Here we go - one more time:-

Reset Options

Helix Floor/LT

Button Combination Description
2 LED light Fun
3 & 4 Test Mode
5 & 6 Global reset
7 & 8 Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs
8 & 9 Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs
9 & 10 Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs
10 & 11 Upgrades existing presets to latest format
11 & 12 Clear current preset
5 & 12 Clear setlists, clear IRs, Return system settings to default
6 & 12 Safe boot mode

To use Reset Options:

• Power off the Helix
  • Hold the desired button combination
  • Power on the Helix
  • Release the button combination

Please note: Buttons are numbered from top left to bottom right.

You could try "Safe Boot Mode" using FS 6 & 12 

Then download and run the hot fix 2.91 update once more using Line 6 Updater:

So in my case neither HX edit nor the updater saw the device. We ended up going to a previous version of the updater as 2.82 which we got by downloading that version of hx edit. still didnt see the device but then we restarted the helix by pressing 9 + 10 and then the updater saw the device and we were able to update no problem, hope this helps anyone. I don't know off the top of my head what 9 + 10 resests so make sure you have a backup of your helix as you should before any update. Good luck to anyone reading this and i understand your pain as it had me aggravated for a whole 24 hours.

12 hours ago, MelvinElias said:

I don't know off the top of my head what 9 + 10 resets

Mmm... well it’s listed in the post above the one you just made, along with all the others.
How’d ya miss that one Melvin?

Doh!  ;-)