Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Les Paul classic rock sound

Jenneane

The new Split Dynamics feature of firmware 2.90 brings lots of flexibility to have your signal automatically branch to a set of Blocks as your signal's level increases. So, you can set up your Amp and FX Blocks such that when you play below the Threshold setting the signal follows one path, and when you dig in harder or increase your guitar's volume pot the Split Dynamics feature will re-route the signal to the Spilt Path for any Amp, or FX blocks you opt to use on such alternate path.

This is just one method to explore for what you are seeking to achieve with the tone variations you want.  

The general way people have been doing this in the past is to simply use 3 snapshots which make the appropriate changes to the controls on the amp model or engage/disengage some sort of drive in front of the amp, or even engage/disengage a different amp model.  Pretty straightforward stuff.

Plenty of examples of this over on Jason Sadites YouTube channel for the Helix.

As far as classic rock it really depends on what kind of classic rock you're talking about.  Led Zep classic rock is very different from Queen classic rock, Rolling Stones classic rock or Doobie Bros classic rock each of which would use different amp models for the right sound.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

As far as classic rock it really depends on what kind of classic rock you're talking about.  Led Zep classic rock is very different from Queen classic rock, Rolling Stones classic rock or Doobie Bros classic rock each of which would use different amp models for the right sound.

Excellent point.  And one that should be obvious, though you're assessment never even popped in my head when I read the original post, because I just thought of 'classic rock' in my head.  Note: it sounded like Ted Nugent circa 1975.  Yeah, I know.  He played a Byrdland.

I might still forget, but out of respect for those willing to invest their time helping you, everyone should learn to elaborate with a few more specifics when asking for help, and that is always the case no matter the subject, without creating a word salad.

All depends what you are looking for, but a nice start may be the PlexiBrt amp model. Depending on the sound you're after and which cab you selected you may start with all setting around 5. For more gain increase the drive and/or master and for a tighter low end and some more distortion add a tubescreamer with low gain settings. I'm using this amp together with an Ownhammer IR (Marshall 412) and it works great, but the 412 baked into the Helix should give you a  good sound as well. Use high/low cuts, EQ and mic type to taste.

• Like 1

One of the key amp models I use in a lot of mid-crunch classic rock such as Rolling Stones, Who, Doobie Bros, Joe Walsh, Post Cream Eric Clapton, etc. is the WhoWatt or HiWatt which was a very popular amp during that era and was used at one time or another by most of the big bands.  The particular value of the HiWatt was it gave a nice clean but could easily be dirtied up with with gain, but it also took pedals VERY well and worked well with compressors to get that "struggling" crunch often used by the Doobies, Stones, and the Who.  Probably something for you to explore.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

One of the key amp models I use in a lot of mid-crunch classic rock such as Rolling Stones, Who, Doobie Bros, Joe Walsh, Post Cream Eric Clapton, etc. is the WhoWatt or HiWatt which was a very popular amp during that era and was used at one time or another by most of the big bands.  The particular value of the HiWatt was it gave a nice clean but could easily be dirtied up with with gain, but it also took pedals VERY well and worked well with compressors to get that "struggling" crunch often used by the Doobies, Stones, and the Who.  Probably something for you to explore.

Very true, I have also rediscovered this model lately. Plays nice clean, crunch and works well with fuzz.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, emagli said:

Very true, I have also rediscovered this model lately. Plays nice clean, crunch and works well with fuzz.

Yes...the main reason for the HiWatt's popularity back in the day is that it was specifically designed to work well with pedals.

• Like 1

Joe Walsh used a Fender Champ for Funk 49 but it was with a Telecaster. Doobies used a Fender Bassman for China Grove. Page used a Supro for much of his stuff also with a Telecaster. Montrose used a Fender Bandmaster with a distortion pedal (the first album) i believe it was a Big Muff. These are just a few of the not so obvious choices people have made for their "classic" Les Paul sound, even though some didn't actually use a Les Paul for the recording but often did live.

• Like 1