Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pulling my hair out

spg244

I have spent 4 days and 12 hours watching YouTube videos and reading charts about the 4 cable method and my tube amp. I have squeached, and squelched and nearly ruined my amp.  I have meticulously connected cables as instructed.   The PodGo sounds amazing through headphones.  I have a Peavey Classic 50 with an effects send and return.  I would simply like the sound created by PodGo amplified by my amp. What am I missing?  Any adjustments I need to make on Pod? Effects loop? where in the chain? Global settings? Change levels? Thanks 

Get rid of the 4CM...You do not need that unless you want to use the preamp in your amp...

GTR->PodGo GTR Input

AMP OUT->Peavey FX Return

Should be good to go by default...Set the AMP Source out to Pre Cab...This will take cab and mic modeling off that you don't want on a conventional amp...You retain the same great direct tone on the main outs. Keep in mind that you amp will not be able to do the sound of a mic on a cab, so it will be close. If you want the sound of the PodGo in cans, you need FRFR monitor...conventional amps will not do that.

If the amp has a lot of power amp color, you could try switching to the PRE version of the amp model...A lot of times that will help clear it up...Doubling up the power amp color doesn't always work that great...

25 minutes ago, spg244 said:

Thank you!  Tried it just now...no go.  Loud clean sound only.  

Pre is the just the Global setting now....Something has got to be off...Are you sure that you aren't running the POD FX Send to your amp's FX Return?

Most of the patches have the FX Loop before the amp block...If you do that, it would always be clean.

Should be running the AMP OUT on the PODGo....The other thing you could do is just use the MAIN LEFT OUT....disable the cab IR...basically, that is same thing....if you have pics it would help

spaceatl, can't thank you enough!  Main out left into the amps return did the trick. Not hearing the same as my headphones but I can tweak the tone. Signal is super hot though...had to turn master volume way down.  I appreciate your help!

12 hours ago, spg244 said:

spaceatl, can't thank you enough!  Main out left into the amps return did the trick. Not hearing the same as my headphones but I can tweak the tone. Signal is super hot though...had to turn master volume way down.  I appreciate your help!

Cool...glad you got it going.

On 4/28/2020 at 5:49 PM, spg244 said:

Assuming your amp's effects loop is instrument level, make sure Global Settings > Ins/Outs > Main Out Level and FX Loop Level are both set to "Instrument." Shouldn't be as loud then.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 1:42 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

Assuming your amp's effects loop is instrument level, make sure Global Settings > Ins/Outs > Main Out Level and FX Loop Level are both set to "Instrument." Shouldn't be as loud then.

I've spent a large amount of time trying to find good info about running direct to the FX Loop Return.  It is hard to find, not a lot out there, and what is out there is scattered far and wide; here, Youtube, TGP, etc.  Researching is like cramming for final exam while waiting on my PodGo to be delivered.  If I had ANY experience with modelers, I'd gather and organize all the information and start a thread on Tricks and Tips for PodGo in the FX Loop Return but...  PodGo is my first modeler ever.  With PodGo's success, I'll bet there's a lot of buyers and future buyers with little or no experience in modeling who would like to just plug into their amp and get some world-class tones quick.  I've read about all the PodGo pages at TGP, wow, what a wealth of knowledge.  Appreciate all you've done Digital_Igloo, and Frank Ritchotte too.