Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx Stomp 2.91 Glitch?

Smj7

I was deep diving into some Mc6/Stomp midi programming.  I think I discovered some potential positive hacks (more testing later).... but I might have stumbled onto a glitch.  A small one... but not that small.  It might be specific to 2.91 or it might have been there all along.  I haven't reverted back yet.

Supposing I want to assign a Midi controller to the Pre Delay of a Plate reverb.  I want to toggle between 0ms and 200ms (the lowest and highest values possible in that parameter.

I assign a CC value of 0 and 127 on my MC6 to positions 1 and 2.  Both with CC# 4 as it's available.

1) Set min value to 0ms and max to 200ms on Stomp

2) Press learn and hit the button on the Mc6.

3) checking the result... the stomp toggles between 0ms and 200ms correctly

Now suppose I want a min value of 20ms and a max value of 50ms.

Procedure 1

1) Set min value to 20ms and max value to 50ms

2) press "learn" and hit the mc6.

3) The result:  The Stomp still defaults to 0ms and 200ms.  The min and max values didn't keep when I check them in the menu.

Procedure 2

Same as procedure 1 but save the preset with the Controller Change values, and then hit learn.

The result.... the Stomp still toggles between 0ms and 200ms.... and the max/min values still didn't keep when I check the menu.

Procedure 3

Same as procedure 2... but once I've hit "learn", hit the mc6.... I will leave the preset to a different preset.  Then come back to the preset with the Controller Assignment.

It toggles between 20ms and 50ms successfully.

Procedure 5:  

I will repeat procedure 1.... however.... in the midi editor of the mc6... rather than values of 0 and 127.  I will calculate the percentages of the extremes.

20ms out of a possible 200ms is 10%.  10% of 127 is a CC value of 12.7.  I'll round up to 13

50 ms out of a possible 200ms is 25%.  25% of 127 is a CC value of 31.75.  I'll round up to 32.

The result:  The Stomp toggles between 20 ms and 50ms.  The min/max values of the Stomp have still defaulted back to the extremes even though I saved my values.  This is a bit of a hack...but it gets the result I want right away.

It doesn't seem to matter what parameter I'm trying to assign a Controller to on the Stomp.  The stomp's min/max values always default to the extreme lowest/highest values AFTER I hit "learn" and then hit the MC6.  If I save my values but don't hit "Learn" when I come back to check the values.... they are as I intended.  

1) save the Controller values I've entered

2) leave the preset and come back to the preset.  The min/max values I've keyed in will now show in the way I entered them to be.

Maybe it's supposed to work like that???

Sean Meredith-Jones

www.seanmeredithjones.com

I don't have an MC6, and I'm not going to read the manual to figure out what you're doing wrong.

I have an FCB1010/UNO.

I have a button configured to send a Toggling CC. It's set to 127/0 - ON/OFF.

Assign MIDI CC to TIME. Assign (random picks) 215 MIN, 877 MAX.

SAVE Preset.

Works perfectly every time.

The instructions below are how to do it the hard way (on the Stomp). They're copied from the manual, edited to fit your situation.

I initially, used HX Edit, then I deleted the assignment and did it from the Stomp, following these directions. Works fine either way.

1. Press <PAGE and PAGE> together to open the Menu.

2. Press Knob 2 (Controller Assign).

3. Press PAGE> and then press Knob 3 (Learn). Send a MIDI CC message from your foot controller, keyboard, etc.

Display returns to Controller Assign  View.
The CC number appears above Knob 1 (MIDI In).
Incoming CC values 0-63 turn the block off; values 64-127 turn the block on.

4. Press PAGE> and turn Knob 1 (Min Value) and Knob 2 (Max Value) to set the range you wish to control.
TIP: To reverse controller behavior, swap the min and max values.

4. Press VIEW when finished. 

Remember to save your preset to retain
all assignments!

2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

4. Press PAGE> and turn Knob 1 (Min Value) and Knob 2 (Max Value) to set the range you wish to control.
TIP: To reverse controller behavior, swap the min and max values.

4. Press VIEW when finished. 

Remember to save your preset to retain
all assignments!

Oh for flip sake... I was doing it in the wrong order.  Hit learn.... then key in the min/max values.  This was keeping me up til 4am and driving me nuts!  Contemplating the meaning of life and forgoing making music to fix this issue.  You sayin' all I had to do was read the manual????  That would be tooooo easy!

I haven't tried assigning midi controllers in Hx Edit.  I'll try that later tonight.  Stay tuned for that!....;)

Sean Meredith-Jones

www.seanmeredithjones.com