Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

LEGACY VS MONO/STEREO EFFECTS ON HELIX

JLondon

So what's the difference between the duplicated effects that are included in both Legacy and Mono/Stereo sub-menus?  I appreciate 'additional' effects, but If there's NOT a difference in the duplicates - why are they there twice?

Anything categorized as legacy was built on the HD platform and then ported to Helix. Mono/stereo models were made using the HX platform. At one point Line 6 just decided to port all of the HD models to Helix, creating possible duplicates.

7 minutes ago, duncann said:

First one that comes to my mind is the script phase.

Another is the la2a comp. Tube drive - legacy, valve driver - hx.

Well, perhaps they're meant to be modeled after the same original, but they're sounding very different (at least partially).

30 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Sure, I'm aware of that - but as they're sonically different, they don't exactly qualify as duplicates in my book.

They’re models of the same real-world hardware. The fidelity of the modeling is different. Same hardware. Different accuracy to real hardware. Same. Different.

27 minutes ago, qwerty42 said:

They’re models of the same real-world hardware. The fidelity of the modeling is different. Same hardware. Different accuracy to real hardware. Same. Different.

Well, for me it's really not too relevant whether they were modeled after the same hardware, I only care about the sonic differences. For instance, the legacy script phase is quite a bit more bassy than the genuine HX one, so I use them for different purposes. And fwiw, all my reverbs are legacy ones. I'm used to them from my M13 days and getting along just fine.

41 minutes ago, JLondon said:

What I want to know is what is the difference that would justify including mods that were already in the Helix.

It’s not a question of the difference that justifies their inclusion in the Helix family of products. IIRC lots of users were bemoaning the fact that Helix didn’t include many of the FX they had enjoyed in the HD and M Series of products. It seems, rather than alienate some users, they ported all the old effects across. One particular old favourite of mine is the Dimension D model. Plus, strangely enough, some people actually preferred some of the old models.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

3 minutes ago, datacommando said:

It’s not a question of the difference that justifies their inclusion in the Helix family of products. IIRC lots of users were bemoaning the fact that Helix didn’t include many of the FX they had enjoyed in the HD and M Series of products. It seems, rather than alienate some users, they ported all the old effects across. One particular old favourite of mine is the Dimension D model. Plus, strangely enough, some people actually preferred some of the old models.

I was one that was glad they did this. Before it was in HX, I also missed the Dimension chorus. And the octo reverb on the HD sounded better to me than on Helix.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Just a question about dynamics effects available in HX Legacy library : are they mono or stereo ?

On M series they were mono, and would reduce a stereo chain to mono.

I guess it's the same ?

More generally, is inserting a mono block on HX processors would reduce a stereo signal to mono ?

Thanks for your help.

33 minutes ago, LeBoun said:

Hi,

Just a question about dynamics effects available in HX Legacy library : are they mono or stereo ?

On M series they were mono, and would reduce a stereo chain to mono.

I guess it's the same ?

More generally, is inserting a mono block on HX processors would reduce a stereo signal to mono ?

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

AFAIK, the ported legacy FX behave exactly as they did in the earlier products. Also, as you thought, if you place a mono effect block after a stereo one it will collapse the signal down to mono.

All the dynamic legacy models are variations of compressor models. I tend to assign compression early in the chain prior to anything which takes advantage of stereo imaging, i.e. - delays and reverb. One exception would be the stereo LA Studio Comp which can be nearer the end to add a little gloss.

You might find a little more detailed info here:

https://helixhelp.com/models

• Like 1