Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.92 update problems

stuartt252

Hi everyone.

Over the weekend I successfully updated my Helix LT to firmware version 2.90. This morning, I attempted the 2.92 update to resolve some of the issues with the tuner.

The update crashed part way through and initially the unit was stuck in update mode. After rebooting and attempting another update as prompted, the whole system has crashed.

when the unit is switched on, no text appears on the screen. I get 3 small boxes of interference initially whilst the loading bar travels across the screen shortly followed by a flashing square of interference in the middle of the screen. 

I have left the unit plugged in for an hour to see if it re-boots but it is frozen in this state.

I have tried pressing buttons 6 & 12 simultaneously and starting the unit up, this results in a frozen blank screen.

I have updated both Line 6 updater and HX Edit but the unit is unable to communicate with them on account of its frozen status.

Any help and advise would be appreciated before I decend into the pits of lockdown lunacy!

Thanks 

Stuart

FFFFB671-1B9B-4D93-BBF2-CCDE71F1FD22.jpeg

CBC4D2D0-B930-4FB1-AF8D-C9C0700ABCDF.jpeg

Edited by stuartt252
Include images

50 minutes ago, underwoodblog said:

I've a HX Stomp and it can be switched to DFU mode when holding a key at power up. DFU mode shows nothing on screen but I can update firmware with the updater.

I'm gonna guess that you are the same "underwood" posting a very similar thing on Reddit, along with.

"Never had any gear that had a so crappy update process. Btw. the included USB cable is trash. Using a short high quality USB cable can save you some trouble!"

Well, what you're saying about the Factory Reset is no surprise, it's not a secret backdoor. There are a whole bunch of reset procedures that can be done during the power up sequence for all the HX family of products. I won't bother posting the entire list again as it gets tedious. In the bottom left corner of this page is a question mark in a circle, if you click on it, under the FAQ section you can find a list of some of the hardware reset options.

Here is a link to a place you can find all of the reset options - they are located under the menu item named "Tips":   https://helixhelp.com

Oh, yeah, the USB cable thing has been a much discussed thing for a long time - see this post from way back in late 2006.

Furthermore, if you trawl through the posts on here you will find that - yes, some people do have issues with updating firmware - although many times it is a simple fact of human error. You know the sort of thing, "Manuals, I don't need no ****ing manual" or even "Installation notes?... Nah! TLDR". Well you consider how many of these units have been sold, it seems most manage the updates with little or no help.

Stay safe indoors.

7 hours ago, stuartt252 said:

Hi everyone.

Over the weekend I successfully updated my Helix LT to firmware version 2.90. This morning, I attempted the 2.92 update to resolve some of the issues with the tuner.

The update crashed part way through and initially the unit was stuck in update mode. After rebooting and attempting another update as prompted, the whole system has crashed.

when the unit is switched on, no text appears on the screen. I get 3 small boxes of interference initially whilst the loading bar travels across the screen shortly followed by a flashing square of interference in the middle of the screen. 

I have left the unit plugged in for an hour to see if it re-boots but it is frozen in this state.

I have tried pressing buttons 6 & 12 simultaneously and starting the unit up, this results in a frozen blank screen.

I have updated both Line 6 updater and HX Edit but the unit is unable to communicate with them on account of its frozen status.

Any help and advise would be appreciated before I decend into the pits of lockdown lunacy!

Thanks 

Stuart

FFFFB671-1B9B-4D93-BBF2-CCDE71F1FD22.jpeg

CBC4D2D0-B930-4FB1-AF8D-C9C0700ABCDF.jpeg

37 minutes ago, klangmaler said:

There is no 2.92 firmware update. Sorry, I'm a smart-lollipop today ;-)

Klangmaler is correct, there is no 2.92 firmware (yet).  You can edit the title of your topic by going to your original post and hitting edit. This will allow you to edit the title as well as the content of your post. This is one of those cases where it would be helpful to change it to "...2.91..." as there may yet be a 2.92 release and this topics's title might cause some confusion.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, datacommando said:

I'm gonna guess that you are the same "underwood" posting a very similar thing on Reddit, along with.

"Never had any gear that had a so crappy update process. Btw. the included USB cable is trash. Using a short high quality USB cable can save you some trouble!"

Well, what you're saying about the Factory Reset is no surprise, it's not a secret backdoor. There are a whole bunch of reset procedures that can be done during the power up sequence for all the HX family of products. I won't bother posting the entire list again as it gets tedious. In the bottom left corner of this page is a question mark in a circle, if you click on it, under the FAQ section you can find a list of some of the hardware reset options.

Here is a link to a place you can find all of the reset options - they are located under the menu item named "Tips":   https://helixhelp.com

Oh, yeah, the USB cable thing has been a much discussed thing for a long time - see this post from way back in late 2006.

Furthermore, if you trawl through the posts on here you will find that - yes, some people do have issues with updating firmware - although many times it is a simple fact of human error. You know the sort of thing, "Manuals, I don't need no ****ing manual" or even "Installation notes?... Nah! TLDR". Well you consider how many of these units have been sold, it seems most manage the updates with little or no help.

Stay safe indoors.

Your posting will help the OP zero with his problem. DFU mode is no factory reset, is a state of the bootloader, when a normal update process failed, so a tool will still be able to write a FW or update routine. I've RTFM and no update process worked like described in the manual but I was able to update it via the DFU mode. The black screen of the OPs device may indicate that the device is in DFU mode and he can update via the Updater and not Editor. And sorry that I assumed that a expensive unit like this, has included a working usb cable. 

• Thanks 1