Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - Presets with unbalanced volume?

Valgua

Hi!

I finally bought an HX Stomp and I am so far very impressed with the unit. However, when listening through headphones (AKG 240) I encountered a phenomenon that I would like to understand. Certain DIR presets (such as $ for Nada) feel unbalanced, so to speak. Almost all sound comes  from one side of the phones. I can change this by switching to a different mic in the cab settings. Why is this the case? Why do some mics influence the volume balance in the headphones? 

I've had a Helix Floor for years, so the first thing I did when I got the Stomp was to back up and then wipe out all of the factory presets.

While waiting for you to do what i suggested, I backed up my current presets and restored the factory peresets.

I went straight to $ for Nothing.

There's no imbalance there.

Something is wrong in your system. Where are your headphones plugged in? Are you sure that they're working right?

Have you other headphones to test?

Thanks! I've tried to replicate the problem by selecting the same amp and cab as in $ for Nada in a new preset but with no result. The sound comes out fine. Even in the factory preset, I can hear sound coming from both sides but it's sound unbalanced to my ears. I start wondering if it's just a subjective impression given by combination of a particular tone, cab and mic coming out of my phones. I'll try tweaking every parameter besides the mic to see if I can change the impression I get. The phones are connected to the phones output and are working fine in any other situation. It's a mistery.  

:-) The ”problem” in any case is very subtle. If I switch mic from 57 dynamic to 4038 ribbon it goes away completely. I find it hard to believe that that would be the case if there was an issue with the hardware. 

The 57 is a very bright mic, whereas the 4038 is very dark. When I switch those mics on that preset with headphones, it kinda feels like a subtle shift from slightly left more towards center. When I put the signal through Reaper, the meters don't indicate a change. Those aren't the most accurate meters, so all that really says is that it's subtle. It could just be the way the downstream effects handle different frequencies? All I can think of......

So, you're not crazy. It's a mistery!