Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Favorite Daw With Pod Hd?

radatats

48 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite DAW?

• Pro Tools
    • CuBase
    • Reaper
    • Logic
    • Studio One
    • Tracktion
    • Reason
    • Sonar
    • Samplitude
    • Other
    • Ableton Live
    • Mixcraft
    • Audacity
    • Nuendo
    • Audition
    • Reason
    • Kristal
    • Garageband
    • Digital Performer

well I have used a lot of different DAWs and really like Studio One 2 and Ableton Live 9  but they just released a new version of my absolute favorite, Tracktion 5 with a host of new features.  This has the absolute easiest workflow and setup, handles all my VST's with ease and the new midi editing is a real step up,  32 and 64  bit versions, free demo, $60 for the full monte.

http://www.tracktion.com/

What do you use/like best?

i used to love tracktion 3 that everyone hated... then it got bought and went into purgotory... got re-acquired by the original guys and got a modest update at 4... and this is the first i'm hearing about 5... have to check it out...

loving logic x these days!

Had to choose other since I use Sonar X3.  Started with Sonar in 2003, so it just feels like home to me. 

I started with Cubase very early in the 90:s but i also tried Cakewalk as Sonar was called back then it had tons of windows menus and looked like an office program "god damn it"

So it was a nightmare to go thrue all the menus in the gui interface.

But i remember a DAW called digital orchestration plus simply called D.O.P i used in the middle of the 90:s it was very easy to use wonder what happened to that program.

reaper is the same price as tracktion 60$ and mixcraft comes in only a hair higher than that at 75$

all 3 are priced nicely... i used to be a big ableton fan... but was getting buried in the upgrade costs...

because like you, i thought it was getting crazy... like 400$ for the software... ouch.

I've only ever used Reaper so that's the one for me. Other solutions seem ridiculously priced to me.

Wasn't aware of those two you mention. They both look interesting, but being familiar with reaper, looks like I'll stick with that. Not too big on VSTs either. I find that reaper comes with pretty much everything you'd need. The only thing I use is onesmallclue's Poise for drums.

reaper is a good one...

i'd still recommend trying the mixcraft demo... because its so easy... made my workflow a little faster.

tracktion is nice, but its a completely different workflow. (and great if you learn it!)

Wasn't aware of those two you mention. They both look interesting, but being familiar with reaper, looks like I'll stick with that. Not too big on VSTs either. I find that reaper comes with pretty much everything you'd need. The only thing I use is onesmallclue's Poise for drums.

I am surprised that Ableton Live is not even on a list - and it's a great DAW, especially for musicians, straight-forward sampler interface and miryads of connectivity options which other DAW's do not possess (feeding audio to trigger midi, simple sidechaining, grouping, etc)

I use Reaper... because it's free! Also from what I can see, it has everything I could ever need

I am surprised that Ableton Live is not even on a list - and it's a great DAW, especially for musicians, straight-forward sampler interface and miryads of connectivity options which other DAW's do not possess (feeding audio to trigger midi, simple sidechaining, grouping, etc)

I haven't tried it yet (I have a version on the Scarlett cd). It may be good but I really don't like that Windows 3.1 like GUI, or Linux Xlib like. It's really a punch in the face...

I use Reaper... because it's free! Also from what I can see, it has everything I could ever need

I haven't tried it yet (I have a version on the Scarlett cd). It may be good but I really don't like that Windows 3.1 like GUI, or Linux Xlib like. It's really a punch in the face...

...Reaper is not free bro...

Reaper is awesome, by the way, I use it as alternative to crumblesome and generally stupid Cubase.

As a person, who was struggling with creativity block on Cubase for two years, Ableton opened a whole new horison of possibilities. I was finally able to concentrate on music instead of tech programming and watching tutorials on internet. Drag and drop is a genius thing, which Steinberg don't seem to grasp, as well as simplicity on the surface, and great depth of options to explore, easy installation, (unlike ProTools), good and simple controls ( unlike Reaper), ability to use keyboard as midi controller (both piano and grid)... GUI is actually simplistic for a reason - less CPU loads, and frankly, Cubase 5 looks as bad to me.

I like Reaper because pretty much everything is in there, sometimes you just have to look a little harder for it. I was looking at Mixcraft but had heard some unkind things about it with MIDI/VSTi support. I like the idea of Ableton Live, but I could never get along with it..seems like an awesome live music tool for people who want to do live looping or live dance music, though.

I used Samplitude for a long time. Every now and then I would try some others but allways ended up staying with Samplitude.

The only thing i really didn't like about it was the way it handles the inputs and outputs. I was often getting unexpected results and it didn't seem consistent somehow.

Now I have switched to Reaper which I really like a lot. The interface isn't as fancy all the time but I got used to it. No inconsistencies and it does exactly what I expect it to!

I also liked Sonor but still came back to Samplitude from that one.

if we had a poll of the worst.... this would be my number 3.... right behind audacity and kristal

but its all about what you learn first... for the most part.

Well I use Cubase since Pro24 so maybe that's true. I remember the early C-Lab Notator (later Logic) stuff and it was horrible compared to Cubase. Also Logic was dropped for PC, so no go for a lot of people after that.

You always enjoy a dig at Cubase for some reason (sic). Did Mr Steinberg take your firstborn or something? :)

I've tried nearly all of them at one time or another... landed on Cool Edit Pro (AKA adobe audition)

for a long time, until i outgrew the limited midi.. and of course adobe bought the, and they simply didn't update forever...

anyway had to move along... still gravitate towards the ones that offer a similar feel... which is alot of them.

Well my latest experience with cubase was version 6.

still the same clunky interface, and a horrific setup just to get started...

i have to dig for everything... because unless you're familiar, the buttons aren't always obvious or marked.

i get that this is the company that put together ASIO and VST which are in pretty much all of them...

but damn their interface is frustrating and they don't seem to bring any extras to the table to make it worth that frustration for me.

especially with so many other options available.

Well I use Cubase since Pro24 so maybe that's true. I remember the early C-Lab Notator (later Logic) stuff and it was horrible compared to Cubase. Also Logic was dropped for PC, so no go for a lot of people after that.

You always enjoy a dig at Cubase for some reason (sic). Did Mr Steinberg take your firstborn or something? :)

Well my latest experience with cubase was version 6.

still the same clunky interface, and a horrific setup just to get started...

i have to dig for everything... because unless you're familiar, the buttons aren't always obvious or marked.

Well you could say that about any DAW really. I tried Reaper and found I was digging around for really simple things. Gave up. I tried Ableton and I literally did not know what was happening. I think this was when they only had the 'looper-style' interface - or maybe there was an arrange window but I never saw it! Actually I quite enjoyed Traktion too. Samplitude I tried and again very basic things seemed convoluted to me. Logic I don't know as I don't do Macs these days.

No mention of DP. Never see it in the UK but I thought it was quite popular in the USA?

I'm no Steiny fanboy though. They lost me from Cubase SX1 to Cubase 4. I think things have improved since those dark ages. I'm looking forward to trying something new though, like Bitwig or ParseQ.

I've used most all of these at one time or another.  Never liked Cubase;  Samplitude and Studio ONe were good, Reaper too.  Still, I found workflow to be the main issue for me.  I loved Tracktion when it first came out but it died on the vine and version 4 was no big improvement.  The new version 5, 64 bit is my new favorite.  This loads faster than anything else I have and so far is stable as a rock.  I love the way the work flow displays, left to right and so intuitive.  Just drop your VST where you want it and go.  Tracks can be audio or midi just like Reaper.  Now the added rack support and the midi editing is much better, (in line with your audio).  I haven't dropped the $60 yet but if I don't find any show stopping bugs in the demo I definitely will.

PS. all my plugins are 64 bit so I don't even look at a DAW if it isn't fully 64 bit compliant.

Thanks for updating the poll with new additions.  If you want something listed, add it!  Might start a new one for favorite plugins...  :D

Where does one find information on ParseQ? Bitwig looks interesting, but not at $400....

Didn't see a price for Bitwig - works out at about £250. If it's good I'd pay that but I'd have to really demo it and be convinced.

ParseQ is going to be a sequencer for the Scope system so unless you have that then it won't be of much interest to most folks. For me it would be the perfect integration for my Sharc-powered XITE-1. I'd happily leave Cubase and all those others behind.

I see, since I have no idea what Scope is, I will not bother....

I really, really have a hard time with a lot of software prices...I get some of the ones like SD and stuff where they pay a lot of money to an engineer and a studio, but stuff like new versions of Cubase/Nuendo, Pro Tools, etc....most of the code is already in place, why keep charging prices like you just developed the whole thing yesterday? 

$60 for Tracktion 5 seems like as good a deal as Reaper, though!

Anyone care to comment on how the VSTi implementation in MixCraft works? I've known some instruments to not work so well on some DAWs, and some are really hard to program/arrange for.

I've not had any issues running VSTi's

I've not ranny anything notable though... mostly just the out of the box stuff that's included in the pro studio package.

as well as ezdrummer/superiordrummer.

Anyone care to comment on how the VSTi implementation in MixCraft works? I've known some instruments to not work so well on some DAWs, and some are really hard to program/arrange for.