Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native crashing Studio One when adding preset to Library

sboggs71

Attempting to load presets works ok. Attempting to save presets to my Library results in a crash.

I had been using using Helix Native with Studio One for a few months before this problem started (I think after I updated both Studio One and Helix Native around the same time, April 2020). Everything works fine, until I try to save a preset to my library. At first (like 5-8 times?) Studio One would crash instantly. Sometimes now, I get a Windows Alert message that says "An unexpected Error occurred in his Application or one of its Plugins! A crash dump has been created at ...". 

I have tried switching interfaces, from my Helix Floor, to my Focusrite interface. I get identical behavior from both. 

This does not happen in all projects. I have two projects (songs) with lots of tracks. One has about 45 tracks, another has around 100. On that one, only 7 tracks have an active instance of Helix Native. There are 7 tracks with the plugin disabled. I tried a couple of tiny 1 or 5 track projects, and was able to add presets to my Library. However, I had been able to save presets to my Library in the larger project previously, and I have reduced its size since then.

I have a WIN10 i7-9750H 2.6GHz, 32GB 2019 Omen laptop. I am not using 50% of the RAM. Studio One 4.6 (latest), Helix Native 1.91. I don't think this is a hardware limitation. If this continues for a few more days, I am going to have to find another alternative. I need to be able to use the same presets between tracks and between songs.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Helix Native-StudioOne crash 2020-04-28 230837.png

More info, Presonus was kind enough to send me this from the .dmp file that Studio One created during a crash, followed by some advice:

SYMBOL_NAME:  Helix_Native__x64_+5d81eb
MODULE_NAME: Helix_Native__x64_
IMAGE_NAME:  Helix_Native_(x64).vst3
STACK_COMMAND:  ~0s ; .ecxr ; kb
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  INVALID_POINTER_WRITE_c0000005_Helix_Native_(x64).vst3!Unknown
OS_VERSION:  10.0.18362.1
BUILDLAB_STR:  19h1_release
OSPLATFORM_TYPE:  x64
OSNAME:  Windows 10
FAILURE_ID_HASH:  {dd8b278c-2608-b0e4-1a2a-4f6e89532dba}
Followup:     MachineOwner

Looks like you are correct in that it is Helix Native.  If this is an ongoing issue or is reproducible, you will want to contact Line 6.  We have seen a few issues with Helix in recent days.  See if they have an updated driver/software for the device.  
For general troubleshooting in S1, you can try re-installing the program as well as clearing your settings files.

1. Go to Help>Open Settings folder.

2. Copy the contents of the folder over to a folder on your desktop.

3. Close S1 and delete the contents of the settings folder with the exception of the user.license file as well as the "Extensions" folder.

4. Open S1 and go to Studio One>Options (Preferences on a Mac) to reconfigure your settings.

5. Test to see if the problem is resolved. If it is not, please feel free to copy your settings files back over from the backup that you created in step 2.

That was all from Presonus. 

This weekend, I will try exporting all my tracks, creating a new song, and dragging the tracks in (then re-organize them back into their folders/groups/VCO's/busses etc). 

Update: I have removed from one song many of the instances of Helix Native. This seems to have helped or eliminated the issue, though I have not fully tested this to have a sturdy confidence level. However, confidence is high. Will advise more, once I have had a change to really try to pressure test this a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

@SmackedActor Short answer: No. For some of my songs (the ones most "complete" aka "having more tracks"), Helix Native still causes an immediate crash when I attempt to import a preset.

So far, the only "non-solution" that I have found: reduce the number of tracks with instances of Helix Native.

But that doesn't help if you just want to transfer and use a preset from your file system (whether exported from Native, or your Helix Floor unit via HX Edit), so this is not a solution for the original issue: 

Attempting to load presets works ok. Attempting to save presets to my Library results in a crash.

It (for me) is an easy problem to reproduce. Hopefully Line 6 will reproduce this, and address the problem.

Please let us know if you find a more graceful way to handle this problem, or what works for you.

So I tried an empty song tonight, got it up to 13 instances of Helix Native and no problems at all saving and importing. Got bored..

So I went back to my current project and there it is again, cannot save or import, just before confirmation dialog, I'm back at desktop.

So I thought maybe it's the way Studio 1 handles graphics and I looked in the options menu. Found "Enable High DPI Mode'' at the general tab and unchecked it.

Voila, it doesn't crash anymore. I created a new track and bus and inserted Native. Imported preset and no problems...

I'm happy it works now and I don't think I need high dpi mode at the moment so I hope it stays good this way but for now, this seemed the solution.

Wether it's a bug in Native or Studio 1 I can't tell.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 3:29 PM, SmackedActor said:

Found "Enable High DPI Mode'' at the general tab and unchecked it.

This didn't work for me, unfortunately. 

These are the steps I tried:

I changed the setting (Studio One > Options > General > Enable High DPI Mode), which required a restart of Studio One to take effect, then immediately attempted to import a preset into Helix Native. Studio One closed immediately.

The next thing I might try: use my Focusrite as an audio interface, instead my Helix Floor. Maybe using the Floor and Native at the same time causes some problem. I have a total of 9 tracks with an instance of Helix Native as an insert. CPU ranges from 67%-70%. Maybe importing a preset into Native causes a spike in the CPU to cause a crash? I am really not sure what the cause is.

Any luck resolving this?  I opened a ticket on this with L6 and am waiting to hear back.  

For me, Studio One 4 closes without any message when I copy a preset from my desktop or from another preset in Native to a new location in Native.

The only thing that “fixes” this is to reduce the number on instances of Native in Studio One.  I typically render my tracks fairly quickly since I have a lot of tracks per song and use Native on almost all tracks and it uses up the CPU quickly, so that’s my work around.  But there’s obviously a problem and I’m hoping for a fix!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Doug6String said:

Any luck resolving this?  I opened a ticket on this with L6 and am waiting to hear back.  

No solution, or workaround, yet. 

I have ruled out the possibility of this being caused by using Helix Floor/HX Edit at the same time as Helix Native, by using a different audio interface, opening the song, creating an empty dummy track, adding Helix Native to the new track, and trying to import a preset from "disk". Sometimes S1 will crash immediately at that point, but sometimes it will present the popup message telling you where the crash dump file is, which is what happened this time.

Perhaps it is as simple as hitting a global memory limit for Helix Native (total guess, unsubstantiated). I have a plenty of memory, it would be nice to change this in settings, if this were the case.

I am sure we are not the only ones this is happening to. Please let us know if you have any progress {:-). That would be fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/1/2020 at 7:45 AM, sboggs71 said:

I had been using using Helix Native with Studio One for a few months before this problem started (I think after I updated both Studio One and Helix Native around the same time, April 2020). Everything works fine, until I try to save a preset to my library. At first (like 5-8 times?) Studio One would crash instantly. Sometimes now, I get a Windows Alert message that says "An unexpected Error occurred in his Application or one of its Plugins! A crash dump has been created at ...". 

I have tried switching interfaces, from my Helix Floor, to my Focusrite interface. I get identical behavior from both. 

This does not happen in all projects. I have two projects (songs) with lots of tracks. One has about 45 tracks, another has around 100. On that one, only 7 tracks have an active instance of Helix Native. There are 7 tracks with the plugin disabled. I tried a couple of tiny 1 or 5 track projects, and was able to add presets to my Library. However, I had been able to save presets to my Library in the larger project previously, and I have reduced its size since then.

I have a WIN10 i7-9750H 2.6GHz, 32GB 2019 Omen laptop. I am not using 50% of the RAM. Studio One 4.6 (latest), Helix Native 1.91. I don't think this is a hardware limitation. If this continues for a few more days, I am going to have to find another alternative. I need to be able to use the same presets between tracks and between songs.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Helix Native-StudioOne crash 2020-04-28 230837.png

When using this library, I also had problems, but I could not solve them, so I stopped using the library. I was then writing an application for my student project that was supposed to popularize my free essays on DACA https://graduateway.com/essay-examples/daca/ After the change in migration policy, this topic was very popular and I wanted to make my paperwork popular. But due to problems with this library, I had to look for a replacement and use another option.