Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Batteries for JTV

Lockdown fever hit me hard when three days into the 5 weeks (so far) I realised I was a long way from my music gear.

I searched around and found a shiny new JTV 59,  a POD HD500X, a StageSource L2M and this afternoon my DT25 will arrive to complete the Dream Rig (yeah, I'm 8 years late to the party).

All that was missing was a battery on the JTV. The dealer let me know it was missing and the price was lowered accordingly.

After reading all the useful threads on here I ordered a Line6 battery from Thommen (and a week later a spare from Andertons) but I still wanted a couple more as they are a useful size for some LED camera lights I run.

I searched the web for JTV Variax compatible batteries and bought two from different suppliers.

One will simply not charge on the Variax charger and when charged elsewhere will not be recognised by the Variax.

The other has charged happily from a third party charger AND the Variax recognises it. I'm using a third party charger as my Variax one just lights up with a constant red LED on power up without a battery so I have a new one on order.

Both batteries are branded Cameron Sino. The one that works has the model number CS-AML710BL (part no 180-7100) It is rated at 2200mAh and is 16.28Wh just like the Line 6 battery, although the case is quite different in its detailing.

The one that doesn't work in the Variax is Model No: CS-LNE100SL (Part no: BA12) It is rated at 2600mAh and 19.24Wh.

I'll be keeping both as light/camera batteries and using on as a crisis spare but as far as possible using my approved batteries when every I'm not running the POD.

The battery that did work came from batteryupgrade.co.uk.

Thommen and Andertons.co.uk are currently ( May 1st, 2020) both showing Line6 batteries in stock.

Obviously I can't guarantee the performance or safety of these batteries but the Variax seems happy to accept it.

Sorry my first post is such a long waffling one. Lockdown.....

• Like 1

ONLY USE Line 6 batteries in these guitars. Li-Ion is not something to mess with.

Part# 98-034-0009,... use Only these batteries, it's a known quality and quantity.

Anything else is nothing but problems and failure hazards.

When transporting or shipping these guitars, REMOVE the battery from the guitar

and send it along in a side pouch or something in the shipping box.

• 6 months later...

I have a JTV-59 US and Korean and several Official L6 LiOn Batteries (two are relatively new rarely used batteries).  All the batteries are fully charged and work in the USA but none work in the Korean.  The Korean does work when using a TSR into the Line6 power supply box.  Any ideas why or any potential fix?  Is there a reset for the battery?

The guitar works and the batteries work in the identical electronic in the USA JTV so I can only imagine it is a problem with the battery box in the Korean guitar. Did it ever work with the batteries? Have you tried carefully applying contact cleaner to the connector pins in the battery box?

"Have you tried carefully applying contact cleaner to the connector pins in the battery box? " --- That won't work.

1) Chances are, it's probably the power management circuit in the battery box, glitch in the program or intermittent

solder point, resulting in a false low signal to the main board.

2) The Korean 59 is an early serial number from 10 years ago and general servicing on it is long overdue,... the guitar

version of a car's 50,000 mile tune-up.

To Mr. Psarkisian: you mention in this thread, and elsewhere, that in due course a Variax should visit your shop for an overall general maintenance procedure. If I may ask, in that my 2012 JTV69s is planned for a trip to the local line 6 authorized repair location for replacement of a faulty input jack assembly, would they also be equally capable of performing the general maintenance you refer to, or should the JTV be shipped to you at line 6 for this job?

Also, are you referring to a focus chiefly on electronics, or the physical aspects of the JTV too, as I am in good shape with all other typical adjustments. With thanks in advance for your reply.

1) Your local authorized service center should be able to handle that.

https://line6.com/find/service_center/

There's a pull down sub menu for specifics (dealer, service, guitar service), choose the one

in your area for guitar service for the one closest to you. I'm always available to them for queries 

should they want to pick my brain. Usually it's for something they already know and just want

confirmation from me. They're pretty good. We wouldn't accept anything less.

2) I do electronics, and also trained in lutherie as well. Been getting paid do this in all things tech of audio/visual world,

for some 45 years now when I first became crew member for the group Iron Butterfly (1975). Lots of time at this.

3) Set-up on these is not quite the same as a passive electronics guitar. Certain quirks to deal with, so it's best to

have an authorized service center do it. Interactions between magnetics and piezos makes it touchy that way.

Thanks for your quick response, Mr Psarkissian.

Indeed, I see from the list you linked that the local authorized repairman - Coupe Communications, Ambler, PA - is where I'd planned to take it to.

On behalf of others in the forum, thank you for your highly valued advice and comments.

Best regards.

• 3 months later...
On 5/2/2020 at 10:32 PM, psarkissian said:

ONLY USE Line 6 batteries in these guitars. Li-Ion is not something to mess with.

Part# 98-034-0009,... use Only these batteries, it's a known quality and quantity.

Anything else is nothing but problems and failure hazards.

When transporting or shipping these guitars, REMOVE the battery from the guitar

and send it along in a side pouch or something in the shipping box.

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2020 at 12:45 PM, fairleas said:

All that was missing was a battery on the JTV. The dealer let me know it was missing and the price was lowered accordingly.

Do you check the front part of the guitar bag? My battery was there with the manual in a plastic bag

Regarding that video,...

Those are Li-Ion batteries,... DO NOT mess with them.

Line 6 does not support modifications to its products.

This is a safety issue. The product can get damaged or injury to you can occur.

DO NOT DO THAT!

It's a safety issue. If you damage something, Line 6 will not support it because of the modification.

If you get injured, it's becomes your responsibility. Li-Ion batteries are not something to be messed with.

Charge/discharge specs have to be correct. There are variations between manufacturers that can cause issues.

Use the correct and official battery. In this case, taking the cheap route can be dangerous.

• 4 months later...
On 5/1/2020 at 12:45 PM, fairleas said:

Lockdown fever hit me hard when three days into the 5 weeks (so far) I realised I was a long way from my music gear.

I searched around and found a shiny new JTV 59,  a POD HD500X, a StageSource L2M and this afternoon my DT25 will arrive to complete the Dream Rig (yeah, I'm 8 years late to the party).

After reading all the useful threads on here I ordered a Line6 battery from Thommen (and a week later a spare from Andertons) but I still wanted a couple more as they are a useful size for some LED camera lights I run.

I searched the web for JTV Variax compatible batteries and bought two from different suppliers.

One will simply not charge on the Variax charger and when charged elsewhere will not be recognised by the Variax.

The other has charged happily from a third party charger AND the Variax recognises it. I'm using a third party charger as my Variax one just lights up with a constant red LED on power up without a battery so I have a new one on order.

Both batteries are branded Cameron Sino. The one that works has the model number CS-AML710BL (part no 180-7100) It is rated at 2200mAh and is 16.28Wh just like the Line 6 battery, although the case is quite different in its detailing.

The one that doesn't work in the Variax is Model No: CS-LNE100SL (Part no: BA12) It is rated at 2600mAh and 19.24Wh.

I'll be keeping both as light/camera batteries and using on as a crisis spare but as far as possible using my approved batteries when every I'm not running the POD.

The battery that did work came from batteryupgrade.co.uk.

Thommen and Andertons.co.uk are currently ( May 1st, 2020) both showing Line6 batteries in stock.

Obviously I can't guarantee the performance or safety of these batteries but the Variax seems happy to accept it.

Sorry my first post is such a long waffling one. Lockdown.....

Both my Line 6 batteries stopped recharging, I can't find replacements, all are out of stock or no longer part of portfolio. Any alternatives?

On 3/4/2021 at 7:18 PM, psarkissian said:

It's a safety issue. If you damage something, Line 6 will not support it because of the modification.

If you get injured, it's becomes your responsibility. Li-Ion batteries are not something to be messed with.

Charge/discharge specs have to be correct. There are variations between manufacturers that can cause issues.

Use the correct and official battery. In this case, taking the cheap route can be dangerous.

Where can I order these batteries as no music shop in NL has them anymore.

My first post has details in there but only one is recognised by the Variax despite both being recommended by the vendors only one works. And as said by the Line6 staffer on this thread you could damage your guitar and void your warranty.

• 1 month later...

So... where can we find real L6 replacement batteries? Mine is dying, it does not hold charge for long in guitar. I need a replacement pronto. I do not want to have to use the box in some situations where floor space is limited.

Also, are there any internal leakage paths when battery is in guitar that will drain minute amount of current? Maybe better to store out of guitar when not being used?

Soooo. When Line 6 stops supporting the current Variax technology (which I'm sure they will eventually), does that mean there is no alternative to the Lne 6 battery? Is that true? If it is, it will definitely influence my decision to buy the newer iteration of Variax, if there is one.

On 8/21/2021 at 5:51 PM, ucnick said:

Also, are there any internal leakage paths when battery is in guitar that will drain minute amount of current? Maybe better to store out of guitar when not being used?

You can take it out when not in use if it makes you feel better, but it won't make any difference. The only way the battery gets actively drained is if you leave the guitar sitting around with the 1/4" cable plugged in... the jack is effectively an "on" button.

Apple and MS are no longer supporting 32-bit processing, that doesn't mean you stop using a computer.

Audio tape is no longer supported, all those cassettes laying around, that doesn't mean you stop listening to music.

Batteries,... yes, removing when not in use is a good habit with any electronics.

Apple and MS are no longer supporting 32-bit processing, that doesn't mean you stop using a computer.

Audio tape is no longer supported, all those cassettes laying around, that doesn't mean you stop listening to music.

I understand what you are saying, but I can still use those computer systems if I want to. I can also still use the cassette tapes if I want to. There are cassette players out there (I have one). But if my JTV battery is unavailable, I can't play it like I can my unsupported 1976 Gibson SG. I can even still play my original unsupported Variax using a 1/4" cable with store bought batteries. But with the JTV, once the batteries are gone, so is my JTV. Yes I can still play it using the Helix (or whatever VDI supporting Line 6 device) or the power supplies, which are getting harder and harder to find. But if i want to play the JTV through something else using just a 1/4" cable, I'm going to run out of options the harder the Variax power supplies get to find. Basically, as long as they are treated well enough, I expect guitars to last a very long time. I can already hear the "you need to change your perspective" comments but that's how I feel. I don't mind guitars not being supported as long as i can still use them until I break them. Not so with the JTV. I'll consider the next iteration of Variax, if there is one, but I've had the last two, and if it can't work with a "regular" 1/4" guitar cable with things (like batteries) that are easily obtained, I will have to think hard about getting one. For those of you that want to buy a $1200 guitar that you know will become unusable in few years. Go ahead. Just my opinion. I won't judge.

As far as I know, JTV batteries will still be out there for some time.

$1,200,... the price of an inexpensive laptop, that becomes obsolete and out-of-date every two years.

Had my Variaxes for seven times as long. And if in some distant future I can't get parts, being a tech,

I can always turn it into some other kind of guitar with my own electronics.

Future changes, options abound,... it's what we do with them that makes a difference.

Don't mean to sound like Alan Watts.

As a happy JTV59 owner and this thread starter my only comment is that when (and I do mean WHEN) Line6 stop supporting the Variax they issue a final software patch that takes away the battery lock out so we can make the choice as to what we decide to put in there at our own risk.

If they don't do that and lock us out of the toys we bought in good faith then I would think very badly of them.

17 hours ago, fairleas said:

As a happy JTV59 owner and this thread starter my only comment is that when (and I do mean WHEN) Line6 stop supporting the Variax they issue a final software patch that takes away the battery lock out so we can make the choice as to what we decide to put in there at our own risk.

If they don't do that and lock us out of the toys we bought in good faith then I would think very badly of them.

i don't know about a "battery lock" but I believe the Variax batteries have some kind of tiny regulator circuit for the current or voltage that protects the guitar. That's the reason you can't use other batteries. They may work but the potential for damage is there. Keep in mind this is from my memory which could sure use a tune up.

18 hours ago, psarkissian said:

As far as I know, JTV batteries will still be out there for some time.

$1,200,... the price of an inexpensive laptop, that becomes obsolete and out-of-date every two years.

Had my Variaxes for seven times as long. And if in some distant future I can't get parts, being a tech,

I can always turn it into some other kind of guitar with my own electronics.

Future changes, options abound,... it's what we do with them that makes a difference.

Don't mean to sound like Alan Watts.

Very glad to hear about the batteries. I do hang on to my laptops for a bit more than two years. And I am still able to use them if I want to (and i do, I have a Vetta for one thing) with easily available power supplies. No easily available power supply for the Variax. Not even available really. I can still plug in and use my Atari 5200 if I want to. I don't...but I could (haha). (I need to dump that thing). I'm not a tech so the using my own electronics option may exist for you but does not exist for me. It does speak to a thought that it would be cool to find some way to retrofiit the Variax's I have with new electronics. I can do that. Yes, I am aware of the huge issues that would very likely come with that but that's probably the kind of thing people said when the Variax was first thought of. Just too many possible problems. Where would we be if the conversation never went further than that?

I do get your point and I don't think it's a character flaw or there's anything wrong with you for having it. I just feel differently and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. I would say both points have equal merits. I do think it's something that Line 6 might take into consideration if and when any kind of new Variax hardware is created. I'm guessing at the very least it would help sales.