Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording drums....??

themetallikid

So in my head this works out right....but not sure....

Been recording some covers myself with prerecorded drum tracks.  However if we wanted to record with our drummer (simple 4 piece kit, plus cymbals)  I could run that through our Xair18 mixer and then take a monitor send out into my helix to put into my laptop/reaper right? 

I know I'd have to get the levels right, but being that its sending line level into the Mic input, i'd just keep it as a clean signal patch, maybe LA Comp at the end to smooth it out? 

I know there is a way to record from the XAIR out to laptop directly, but that seems move involved and just haven't researched it yet.  

Not sure how you would be recording into the mixer (4 mics? 1 mic?) but I expect the mixer has audio outputs. I would route them (L/R) into a Helix Return pair so that you could use multiple mics for the drums and mix a stereo signal into Helix. Then, as you say, into Reaper via USB from Helix.

If you have an XR 18, use that as your USB audio interface and connect everything to that. You can track everything to its own channel without any workarounds. I have the XR18 in both of my bands' racks for IEM mixers and they make excellent audio interfaces. It's no more complicated than using the Helix except your get 16 channels of XLR and you don't have to do anything weird to get it to sound right or do any routing adjustments or anything.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Agree completely with GunPM - the Xair will give you full separations for all the drum tracks - each mic recorded separately - which is invaluable when mixing down.

I recently got an XAir and have been using it as the interface instead of the Helix - with the Helix coming in through XLRs. It was just easier once the XAir was set-up with my computer and DAW, and knowing I can use the Helix as via USB should I need to. 

17 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

If you have an XR 18, use that as your USB audio interface and connect everything to that. You can track everything to its own channel without any workarounds. I have the XR18 in both of my bands' racks for IEM mixers and they make excellent audio interfaces. It's no more complicated than using the Helix except your get 16 channels of XLR and you don't have to do anything weird to get it to sound right or do any routing adjustments or anything.

Hmm, Ill have to try that.  I strayed from that as somone mentioned there was something complicated about getting it setup that way.  That would certainly make things a little easier on my end to do that as well.  

Thanks for the advice.

18 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

If you have an XR 18, use that as your USB audio interface and connect everything to that.

Every bit this. When I had to deal with recording from an X32 for the first time, it's been absolutely plug and play (ok, under macOS, under Windows you'll need to install a driver). Should be every bit the same with the XR18, especially as apparently it's set up for drums already.

I'm not sure the XR has the same facility, but I'm pretty sure it does.  On my QSC Touchmix I just record the whole band to a USB memory stick which captures all the instruments in individual WAV files which can then be individually imported in your DAW to create a standard multitrack recording so it can be mixed, edited and output to a stereo track (minus the guitar track if you choose) from your DAW.  It's pretty simple process and I think I heard it's pretty much the same process on the XR.  This allows you to capture autonomously from the DAW so it simplifies the capture process.

15 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

I'm not sure the XR has the same facility, but I'm pretty sure it does.  On my QSC Touchmix I just record the whole band to a USB memory stick which captures all the instruments in individual WAV files which can then be individually imported in your DAW to create a standard multitrack recording so it can be mixed, edited and output to a stereo track (minus the guitar track if you choose) from your DAW.  It's pretty simple process and I think I heard it's pretty much the same process on the XR.  This allows you to capture autonomously from the DAW so it simplifies the capture process.

Xr16 and Xr12 have the usb drive recording. Xr18 connects to a daw for multitrack recording. 

@themetallikid - the only “complicated”part is assigned usb 1/2 to mixer channels 17/18 for playback from the daw and installing the driver. 

4 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

Xr16 and Xr12 have the usb drive recording. Xr18 connects to a daw for multitrack recording. 

@themetallikid - the only “complicated”part is assigned usb 1/2 to mixer channels 17/18 for playback from the daw and installing the driver. 

Yeah...so does the Touchmix, but I just find it easier to capture and import so I don't have to worry about the DAW.

23 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

ok, excuse my 'newb-ness' with this.  So I connect the Xair to my laptop via USB....     Im still new what is complicated about the 1/2 to 17/18 thing?  And I assume I have to download the driver from the xair site? or will it search/install when connected automatically.

21 hours ago, themetallikid said:

ok, excuse my 'newb-ness' with this.  So I connect the Xair to my laptop via USB....     Im still new what is complicated about the 1/2 to 17/18 thing?  And I assume I have to download the driver from the xair site? or will it search/install when connected automatically.

You'll need to download it. It's a specialized ASIO driver so Windows doesn't find it on it's own. As far as assigning the tracks, in order to hear the playback from the daw through the mixer you need to send the DAW output to a mixer channel. YouTube has a lot of really good videos on how to set up the XR-18 for recording. 

• 3 weeks later...

OK, downloaded the driver, installed and I can get it to now detect XAIR as my input source.  I changed the input track to 18 max, outputs are 1 & 2....

however when I arm a track to record, how do I choose which channel it is looking at?  With Helix, I could choose which one it was being sent through.  

Also, where do I monitor from.  With the Helix I monitored via the Helix Headphone jack...I have a headphone jack on the XR18, and I can hear spotify run through it, but can't get playback from tracks in my project.  I tried headphones directly out of laptop, nothing.  I tried the powered wedge I have on the outputs of the mixer...nothing.