Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp or Other Interface When Using Native/Logic

evolz

I work in media design and have been using Logic Pro with Helix Native. I been using the Scarlett products and my HX Stomp as a audio interface. A colleague recently mentioned that I should move to a  Universal Audio Interface for better quality of sound. What are your guys thoughts on this? I primary record guitars and use built in virtual instruments for production via midi keyboards.

Thanks for your input.

I own a Scarlett (18i8), and Helix floor, Helix Native and a UAD Apollo Twin. I've used all sorts of combinations for audio interface/guitar modeling.

It all depends on your needs. Do you or will you record a lot of vocals or acoustic instruments (guitar, mandolin, etc)? If not, the Scarlett should be fine. Actually, the Stomp (and Helix) are decent interfaces. UAD stuff is $$$. Of course, you can spend even more UAD $$$ and get some of their excellent plugins which run within their own hardware processors (freeing up some computer resources).

I think I would base the decision on your current/future needs and whether or not you are happy with your current audio quality. Frankly, you may be just fine with what you already have...

On 5/2/2020 at 9:31 PM, evolz said:

I work in media design and have been using Logic Pro with Helix Native. I been using the Scarlett products and my HX Stomp as a audio interface. A colleague recently mentioned that I should move to a  Universal Audio Interface for better quality of sound. What are your guys thoughts on this? I primary record guitars and use built in virtual instruments for production via midi keyboards.

Thanks for your input.

Hi evolz,

I find that I must agree with “soundog” and what he say in his post above. Universal Audio equipment is excellent quality and very expensive, therefore I would ask is the investment going to be worth the return. Unless your colleague is Alan Parsons, l wouldn’t bother just for the sake of it.

A Scarlett and HX Stomp should be good enough. Use the Scarlett and a decent vocal mic for vox and acoustic guitar etc. Your Stomp is specifically designed to handle electric guitar and bass, so no problem there. As you state that you are using software synths and virtual instruments therefore the output from them will be printed direct to disk there is no real advantage in spending lots of cash.

I would guess that when you finalise your audio projects, you pass on the stems or finished stereo mix of your production to someone else. If that’s the case, they will be listening through a completely different setup. The thing you need to do is focus on is capturing the cleanest and best signal at source. Providing there are no glitches, clicks, pops and unwanted distortion when you are listening back through some quality studio monitors you should be fine.

There is no substitute for skill - as many have found to their detriment - having all the gear and no idea will always be exactly that.

Why go to unnecessary expense - try to polish you recording techniques first. Practice gain staging and capturing the best take. Remember, there are people out there producing quality music on no more than an iPad and GarageBand.

Hope this helps/makes sense