Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

how much does the guitar and the pick up used affect the sound of a preset?

gioline6

how does the same preset sound with 5 different guitars?

with my beloved Line6 Helix and the trusted Line6 Shuriken Variax I used my custom preset "Kiss City" to show the differences that can be obtained simply by changing the guitar and pick up.

When buying a preset it is essential to have as reference the type of guitar used to create it, in order to have an optimal result with your instrumentation

There is no doubt the guitar and selected pickup(s) change the sound of a preset, just like it does the sound coming out of your amp, but I don't think the Variax is the best demo. 

I love my Variax for changing tuning, experimenting, or just goofing around but it sounds just like yours did, using the VDI, and for the most part did not represent what those actual guitar/pickup combos would sound like.  With the right preset per, they probably could.

But the Variax still has a processed sound via VDI. 1/4", it is very Strat-like, and it sounds great.  A place I can really hear the processed sound is when I play Jimi Hendrix's version of 'Come On' when he does the E and A-string riff after the last line of the verse, right before the E7#9 chorus.  Try it both ways; VDI, 1/4".

"Come on sugar let the good times roll"

https://imgur.com/a/uw3bGjz

• Upvote 1

I truly wish the Variax could duplicate the real sound of different guitars because that would save me having to carry around different guitars for all my gigs, but it's just not there yet.  It's impressive for what it is, but what it can never do is replace the feel of the guitar which really becomes important for certain types of styles.  Especially when it comes to finger picking.

• Upvote 1