Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to ear the guitar on my computer from usb connected pod hd500x?

yanndc86

Hi,

I'm using a Macbook. I connect my pod hd500x using USB cable.

From the Macbook sound control, I can see from the input that the computer get the guitar signal.  But there is not way to ear anything using any output.

At this point my goal is to use bluetooth headphone connected to my computer, but even with internal speaker, I do not ear anything.

How can I get it to work?

Thanks in advance.

9 hours ago, yanndc86 said:

my goal is to use bluetooth headphone connected to my computer, but even with internal speaker, I do not ear anything

Since it is the POD that is generating the audio signal you want to hear, speakers and/or headphones should be connected to the POD, not to the computer.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• 3 weeks later...

i plug my hd 500x in to my laptop windows, using usb and use cubase, you can use the headphones plugged in to laptop or plugged in to hd500x

just set the setting in cubase to hd500x asio

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2020 at 7:01 AM, RonSom1976 said:

as hurghanico said.

If you wanna hear it via Computer - maybe while playing to an audio track running in PC - you need an audio-interface, which is connected to PC by USB and to the POD by XLR.

Doesn't have to be XLR right? could also be 1/4"? And just to confirm, the routing should be:

pod out -> interface in?

But then why can't you just route the pod output directly into the computer's input jack? The pod is an audio interface itself.  Get a 1/4" to 1/8" cable or something and plug the 1/4" into the pod's output and the 1/8" into the stereo input on your motherboard?

On 5/20/2020 at 2:49 PM, 6six6 said:

i plug my hd 500x in to my laptop windows, using usb and use cubase, you can use the headphones plugged in to laptop or plugged in to hd500x

just set the setting in cubase to hd500x asio

Is there another method if you don't wanna load up cubase every time? Like just turn the computer on and your guitar is ready to be heard

41 minutes ago, fobsternd said:

Is there another method if you don't wanna load up cubase every time? Like just turn the computer on and your guitar is ready to be heard

The POD HD500X is an audio interface. Connect your headphones or speakers to the POD outputs and connect the POD to your computer via USB. By default the POD becomes your computer’s soundcard so you will hear all computer-generated audio as well as your guitar from the POD outputs.

i know.... “but I wanna hear it from my computer speakers”. Why? The POD is a much better soundcard than your computer’s internal soundcard. Why would you want to hear an inferior sound? If that’s what you want, why not use the $2 earbuds you bought ten years ago to watch an in-flight movie? That will really bring the POD’s sound quality to its knees!

Not directly. The HD 500X has no Bluetooth capability.

I haven’t searched but there might be some product that connects to a normal analog audio output and converts the signal to Bluetooth audio which it can then transmit to Bluetooth headphones.

23 minutes ago, fobsternd said:

Is there a way to use bluetooth headphones instead of monitor speakers or wired headphones?

sure. you just need a bluetooth transmitter. 

but, if you are recording... you do know that bluetooth causes a time delay, right?

34 minutes ago, pianoguyy said:

sure. you just need a bluetooth transmitter. 

but, if you are recording... you do know that bluetooth causes a time delay, right?

What if I'm just jamming? There's latency regardless?

I don't know how much latency is involved with using Bluetooth headphones, but...

On 7/6/2020 at 2:23 PM, fobsternd said:

But then why can't you just route the pod output directly into the computer's input jack? The pod is an audio interface itself.  Get a 1/4" to 1/8" cable or something and plug the 1/4" into the pod's output and the 1/8" into the stereo input on your motherboard?

The signal is a bit mismatched, but this is possible. You would just be using your computer's onboard sound card. If it's your computer's microphone input, the headphone out on the POD is way too hot for it, but if your computer's card has a line in, it would work in a pinch. 

The better choice for a line input would be to hook an adapter up to the 1/4" outputs on the POD. Something like this:

313ClTIfG8L._AC_.jpg

Less than $15 on Amazon: Hosa HMP-006Y

8 hours ago, fobsternd said:

What if I'm just jamming? There's latency regardless?

The long and short of the latency question is yes: if your audio is going through an interface into the computer and back out again, there is latency, but different interfaces have different round trip times.

In general, the faster the connection (USB-C is better than USB 2.0), or the more onboard DSP your interface dedicates to lessen latency, the shorter the round trip time is.

Most of the cheaper interfaces have a way around this called direct monitoring. You turn on direct monitoring or turn a dedicated knob to hear the dry signal before it goes through the computer.  

Here are a couple interfaces with that feature (one with a switch and one with an input/playback knob):

Focusrite_Scarlett-2i2_2ndGen_front-elev

AudioBoxUSB96-large.jpg

If you are just playing alone without accompaniment, I would use the headphone out on your HD500X.

If you are playing along with something on your computer, using direct monitoring and the headphone output of the interface would be best.