Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Got a new PC+ 212 recently - what makes the speaker modeling so good?!

gearmana

Hey, all!

I got my HX Stomp and PC+ 212 in recently.

I'm curious, why do the built in speaker models sound so freaking good?  What sets them apart from the Stomp speakers or IRs?  It just sounds WAY more amp like to my ears.

I find myself just building all my presets around the PC+ models. :)

Bonus pic of my new setup!

SDo2euh.jpg

The speaker models have no mic modeled when output through the Powercab speaker, so compared the cab sims and IRs in the Stomp, it probably sounds more authentic to you. i.e. more like simply playing live through an amp and cab in the room.

For a more apples to apples comparison, compare the direct out of the Powercab, which will apply the simulated mic and distance.

• 3 weeks later...

I 've bought a PC 212+ recently and I find the speaker mode really underwhelming, to be honest.

In FRFR or IR mode the cab is really good but the modelled speakers don't sound good at all to me. 

I've always played the Helix with real cabs and the speaker mode of the PC 212 is not even close to what an actual 2x12 cab sounds like. 

• 2 months later...

I recently got the PC212 and so far I think the built in speaker mode sounds the best. I’m going to try uploading some IR’s to the cab and different cabs on the helix in FRFR mode as I’d like to mix and match if possible. But the built in speaker sims do give that amp in the room vibe, I find using the tilt legs on the back of the cab and leaning it back gets the best result.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 8:02 PM, HotRats73 said:

I 've bought a PC 212+ recently and I find the speaker mode really underwhelming, to be honest.

In FRFR or IR mode the cab is really good but the modelled speakers don't sound good at all to me. 

I've always played the Helix with real cabs and the speaker mode of the PC 212 is not even close to what an actual 2x12 cab sounds like. 

I hated my PC112+'s speaker simulations the first time I turned it on. I couldn't make it sound good whatever I've tried. Then I started experimenting with an EQ at the end of the chain and it quickly cleared things up. Also it's important to set the speaker models' levels to 0 db instead of the ~-15 they're factory set to, and to keep the PC's input level led in amber. 

• 1 year later...