ossianott

Reamping from SEND stereo into amp, monitoring thru DAW from Path B? (HX stomp)

Hello, I'm trying to reamp from the send jack straight into my Marshall amp using a reactive load and taking the signal back on main input L/Mono with a CAB block inserted. I want to monitor through DAW from path B 3/4 input (disabling hardware monitoring to have timing in sync), but I'm having problems with the stomp automatically sending the signal from path B to the send output again, making a nasty loop to the amp. I just want to use path B to disable hardware monitoring and use input 3/4 in reaper (using reainsert, for the reaper users) and not making it automatically send the signal out from the 3/4 jack, is this possible? Everything sounds fine and runs fine except the timing issue (when using hardware monitoring) or the nasty loop when using 3/4.

I can use input 5/6 and use an IR loader inside reaper but I like the sound of the cabs inside the stomp.

Inserting a pic, not sure whether it or me are making any sense but I thought some of you might have any tips.

loop.png

Here's a Preset and a screenshot.

Signal flow:

The DI Track in Reaper goes out USB 5/6

The HX preset Input receives on USB 5/6

Path A is panned full LEFT so that no signal goes to Path B

MAIN L/R Output set to -120db

Path A Output is sent through a SEND L block

Physical send L (tip) goes to the Amp. In Global Settings Ins/Outs this should be set to INST.

(Since the Send/Return Instr/Line levels can't be set separately, you may have the adjust the RETURN L Block level as necessary).

RL Line Out goes to Return L/Mono

Path B receives input from a RETURN L block with MIX at 100%

Signal passes from there thru Cab/IR, then out USB 3/4 panned hard RIGHT (USB 4)

ReAmp Track in Reaper receives USB 4, Records Output if further processing is being used, else records Input.

During playback, MUTE the DI Track.

ReAmp Amp_RL.hlx

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the help! I got it working, I had to also make the Send L/R block stereo, and hard pan it right and use out 3, input 4 in ReaInsert. 

When using 'Split Y' the balance didn't matter if it was hard left or right, but when using 'Split A/B' it got silent when fully to L. I don't know if my brain is playing tricks on me but I think split Y and split A/B sounded just slightly different.

reamp.tif

Sorry, don't know what happened yesterday, I sent you preset/screenshot from early experiments.

I Have no idea how you're doing it, I've never used that function in Reaper. So many ways to do things!

It LOOKS like you're recording over the original DI Track, which is OK as long as you still have a copy on another Track.

Whatever, if it works for you, great! It might even be easier than my method.

I've amended my original post with the stuff that works, in case you want to try it, or anyone else comes along and wants to try it.

20 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Sorry, don't know what happened yesterday, I sent you preset/screenshot from early experiments.

I Have no idea how you're doing it, I've never used that function in Reaper. So many ways to do things!

It LOOKS like you're recording over the original DI Track, which is OK as long as you still have a copy on another Track.

Whatever, if it works for you, great! It might even be easier than my method.

I've amended my original post with the stuff that works, in case you want to try it, or anyone else comes along and wants to try it.

cool thanks! Gonna see if I can integrate it in my workflow in a nice way.

I'm using a custom action to be able to quickly render new stems from a selected track within time selection. I'm dialing reaInsert as an insert, then put it on the tracks I wish to reamp one at a time and just bounce the time selection with the custom action and it creates a stem file with the same name (but stem included aswell) and routing, while muting the original track. It's nice if you have a song recorded with amp sims and want to reamp it (either to the stomp or to analog realm) as it's monitoring in DAW with all post processing on it and in perfect timing sync no matter what the project latency is as long as reainsert can auto compensate for delay correctly. 

Here is a screenshot of the custom actions involved, if u're interested in trying it out.  There is the same action but for "stereo stem tracks" too available. You just assign it to a key or combination of keys of your wish.

render real time custom action.tif