Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Plex 2, Sean Halley, Variax Toneknob Control

ollake

Hi!

I tried the Plex 2 tone described in Sean Halleys Blog (last minutes of the last video in the blog) where the Variax toneknob is controling the drive, treble and presence of the amp.

It all works fine except that the toneknobs normal function is also activated wich really makes the tone unusable. 

Is there any way of cancelling that function?

I have set my HD500X to lock the toneknob and as said, all the settings above works as they should so...

Many regards!

Olle

First of all many thanks for your reply!

You're totally right in that it only applies to the modeled guitars and it works as a charm but I've noticed that there is some strange things going on. At least I think it's strange.

If I change guitar model or even the pickupposition when the toneknob is off then the new selection has it's tone off to, like in regular use (you know, duller jazzsound). If I change model with the toneknob at 100% the tone is, well, at a 100% as supposed to.

In other words, the toneknob seem to work as a regular toneknob when changing models. And I would really like to be able to do that.

Is there maybe something I'm missing there too or is it a bug in the software?

More like a not quite thought through feature.

The integration of HD500 and JTV has some good ideas, but is missing the finishing touches that make it work properly.  It is fine if you plan on sticking to a single JTV Patch, but if you want to change pickups then it starts failing in little ways, never mind banks (simulated guitar).

Two examples where improvements have been requested:

The ability to set the JTV Bank (guitar model) when forcing a JTV Patch (guitar model + pickups) so that you can freely use the Patch selection (pickup selector) to change between pickup positions without first having to check that the Bank is correctly set on the JTV. Really embarrassing to go from Strat Neck to Acoustic 12 string in the middle of a solo.

The ability for the HD500 to remember forced JTV Tunings when the Model is changed - currently if you set a tuning via the HD500, change the pickup selection and save the HD patch it will have reverted to don't force on the tuning, but you will only find that out when you select the HD500 patch again because the guitar sounds fine at the time.  Had some very stressed rehearsals when my alternate tuning appeared to be failing all the time; thank god it hasn't happened live (yet)

The way it appears to work is that the moment you change patch on the JTV then the stuff forced by the HD500 is forgotten, when you (and I) would expect that other than the JTV Patch selection that everything else from the HD500 patch will be remembered and active.

All I can suggest is adding it to ideascale where it can sit there until somebody decides to do something about it

Aah, that makes sense - or rather not.

Coming from Rolandgear (VG88 and VG99) where I used forced tuning and guitarmodel all the time in combination with all controls possible, this feels a bit limiting. On the other hand I'm too much in to creating patches that will cover everything. So this could be the start of making sounds that cover only one specific sound and then I have to learn to step on another patch. At least til Line6 fixes this.

Many thanks for your replies!

Olle