Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Create a sound help please

TimCooper

Hi,

I have had a Helix LT for a while now, but have mostly used presets and a couple of basic set ups that I have created through trial and error. This morning I watched Rick Beato's new Fretboard Hack video:

I really like the sound he gets from this SG and I wondered how close it was possible to get with the Helix.

So I'd like some advice really, on what the process should be to try and nail a specific tone like this. I'm not necessarily wanting someone to tell me exact settings, though that would be nice too, but more a step by step guide that could be applied to any sound that I wanted to recreate. Do you guys do that, and if so what is your work flow?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, TimCooper said:

Hi,

I have had a Helix LT for a while now, but have mostly used presets and a couple of basic set ups that I have created through trial and error. This morning I watched Rick Beato's new Fretboard Hack video:

I really like the sound he gets from this SG and I wondered how close it was possible to get with the Helix.

So I'd like some advice really, on what the process should be to try and nail a specific tone like this. I'm not necessarily wanting someone to tell me exact settings, though that would be nice too, but more a step by step guide that could be applied to any sound that I wanted to recreate. Do you guys do that, and if so what is your work flow?

Thank you.

You can't "de-twang" a Telecaster...;)

Seriously though, if it's the sound of the SG itself that you're after (as opposed to whatever amp he's using in the video), but you're playing an entirely different style of guitar, then there's really little to nothing that the Helix can do to help you. What are you playing on?

• Thanks 1

Hi Tim

Welcome to the forum - there seems to be a huge depth of experience and help here - and a welcome source of banter...  I sometimes have a habit of stating the blindingly obvious, so if you know this already sorry to waste your time, but...

The general advice for creating a sound is to check out the artist's preferred equipment and start from there - so if I was after that sound, based just on what I can see in the background I'd try Marshall or Orange models.  Then try the gain and tone controls, and also the mic setting in the cab model if you're using the standard cabs - that sounds to me like a pretty basic tone so you should be able to get pretty close...  If not, you're learning all the way!

Best source I've seen for real detailed advice on setting up amp settings is a series of videos by Jason Sadites - he goes into detail on compression and eq and all kind of things a recording engineer might do (that I don't really understand).

Good luck - and hope the Helix works for you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tim. I'm no expert, but here's what I hear:

SG is on the bridge pickup with volume and tone rolled back a little. The tone seems darker than an SG does wide open or when the volume rolls off and there's a treble bleed circuit. I'm guessing his signal chain is compressor-amp-chorus-delay-reverb. The chorus is quite subtle but I think I can hear it on the delay repeats. It could easily be a 'delay with mod'. The delay is set to two or three repeats and sounds digital. You can hear his string attack acoustically through the mic he is speaking through which makes the electric guitar sound unusually bright on the attack.

In terms of amp, it could be almost anything running clean with a lowish gain crunch in front or a digital model (most likely given the signal chain above). Try playing with different models in your Helix but make sure you roll off the volume a little. You'll notice as well that he's quite gentle with his picking hand. Put your pick down and use your fingers.

Hope this helps.