Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix ableton 48khz only?

ninemag

Anyone using helix floor with Ableton 10? I’ve been using both for a couple years(Ableton since v8) but I can’t get ableton to switch the sample rate for helix away from 48k... the menu is grayed out. Helix 2.9, driver updated, sample rate switches to 96k in helix prefs, system prefs on MacBook Pro set to helix, any ideas?

Must be a MAC thing (PC here). Isn't there a special Core Audio driver? If you're on OS X:

"Helix Mac Driver 1.0.7 is a required update to support Helix Firmware 2.80 or greater. It supports the following sample rates: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, and 96 kHz."

It stays at 48k regardless of device setting. I’ve changed the device output  settings in prefs and then checked app... no change. 
changed device settings, restart app, still no change. Changed device settings, restart app, restart computer, still no change

7 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Must be a MAC thing (PC here).

Its not a Mac thing, as it should work. Found this tidbit is about 10 seconds...

These computers support up to 192 kHz sample rate for audio playback:

• MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) through MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) through MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
  • iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014) through iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2014)
  • iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
  • iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) through iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013) 
  • Mac mini (Late 2014)
  •  

rd2rk, this isn't the 1st time you have said negative things about Macs. You are about the most negative Mac person I have encountered. Why is that? There's room for both platforms in music isnt there?

That said,  what's wrong with a 48k sample rate anywho?  If anyone can actually "hear" the "additional resolution" added  between that and a 96k mastered CD, more power to ya lol.  ; )

I’m thinking it’s a line 6 thing lol

im running a late 2019 MacBook Pro i9- I can use up 96k Ableton or logic(not that I need to lol)

48k is MORE than enough for me, but... I noticed it was an option that wasn’t available, so I figured I’d ask:-) 

44 minutes ago, spikey said:

rd2rk, this isn't the 1st time you have said negative things about Macs. You are about the most negative Mac person I have encountered. Why is that? There's room for both platforms in music isnt there?

That said,  what's wrong with a 48k sample rate anywho?  If anyone can actually "hear" the "additional resolution" added  between that and a 96k mastered CD, more power to ya lol.  ; )

Because I don't like MACs. It's OK, lots of people don't like PCs.

Also, if you read the previous posts, you know that there's an OS X driver that fixes exactly the problem he's having, but he can't get it to install properly or something.

Being a MAC guy, can you help him with that?

Agreed about the sampling rate, but some people think they can hear 1ms latency too. If he wants to use a higher sampling rate, have at it I say!

I don’t necessarily need a higher sample rate, and to honest, I probably wouldn’t use it if it was available lol- but like I said, it would be cool it it worked lol. Typically, at least for me, macs drivers have never been an issue. I’ve been using macs for music  over 25 years, since pre VST  cubase days LOL. I’m dating myself lol.... I’ve cleared preference panes, cleared and reset cashe’s, gone  in manually to find the actual driver extension... it’s not there. I mean, it could be me, but I’m willing to bet it’s a line 6 issue casing some conflict. Last time I looked at sample rates it was an available option- not sure what changed. It’s fun to nerd out on music tech, try different lollipop, etc. reminds me of astronomy and trying to see super faint stars and galaxies... “do I see it? Can I see it? Same thing goes for sound lol 

1 hour ago, ninemag said:

I don’t necessarily need a higher sample rate, and to honest, I probably wouldn’t use it if it was available lol- but like I said, it would be cool it it worked lol. Typically, at least for me, macs drivers have never been an issue. I’ve been using macs for music  over 25 years, since pre VST  cubase days LOL. I’m dating myself lol.... I’ve cleared preference panes, cleared and reset cashe’s, gone  in manually to find the actual driver extension... it’s not there. I mean, it could be me, but I’m willing to bet it’s a line 6 issue casing some conflict. Last time I looked at sample rates it was an available option- not sure what changed. It’s fun to nerd out on music tech, try different lollipop, etc. reminds me of astronomy and trying to see super faint stars and galaxies... “do I see it? Can I see it? Same thing goes for sound lol 

35 minutes ago, spikey said:

That's more than likely correct lol . 

So, you seem to have agreed that it's a L6 problem.

ninemag - do you, in fact, have one of the machines that spikey mentioned, or something else?

spikey - does it work in Live10 on your machine? If you don't have it, it's a free trial DL from Ableton, installs in a minute.

I'm curious because I have friends with MACs, and I just like to know these things. You know, tech nerd, started in computer music on a c64 in 1983........pretty much pre everything but MIDI.

Wandering minds want to know......

My machine is not on the list- it’s several years newer and considerably more powerful(not bragging- just putting it in perspective ) However, the audio specs are the same. I’ve ran other interfaces at significantly higher bitrate(UA Apollo twin duo, for one) with no issue. Ableton and logic pro will support up to 96k native on the machine, as long as I don’t ask helix to do the interface work. I’m running a full paid version of Live 10 suite.
 my hunch is that it’s a conflict between OS X and the driver- more specifically, how OS X deals with drivers other than core audio. I’m opening a ticket with support ASAP- I’ll report back as I get more info

ps- you have e me by a few years on the c64 lol I had one, but didn’t use it for music lol- I may even still have it- gonna look now haha

8 hours ago, ninemag said:

Also, I’m torn because on one side I most likely won’t ever use more than 48 , but I’m just curious as to why it won’t go higher. Hate to waste support’s time 

Not wasting anybody's time If You have this problem, somebody else does too. They just might not know it yet :-).

On 5/10/2020 at 12:19 AM, rd2rk said:

pretty much pre everything but MIDI.

Around 1980/81 I (i think the timeline is right) was there in SF Cali at a training session/class for work and went to a Major Music Store in the area (sry don't remember the name) that just got Midi, for the 1st time ever. This was before the "standard" was established for how Midi wire up on the connector was set in stone, for all keyboards and FX/stomps. So yea, I was there pre-Midi too. ; ) 

I already have Luna, Cubase 10.5x, Logic X, and Studio One 4 on my Mac now. last thing I need is another DAW host lol. 

7 hours ago, spikey said:

I already have Luna, Cubase 10.5x, Logic X, and Studio One 4 on my Mac now. last thing I need is another DAW host lol. 

I suggested it because I'm trying to help a user with a problem and I'm not a MAC person. You being a MAC guy, by installing and testing to see if it's a widespread problem or just his specific configuration could have been a useful troubleshooting step, vs blindly blaming L6.

As long as you've been around, I'm sure you're familiar with "Uninstall"..... ;-)

Called line 6 and they found the issue right away- it was the Mac is blocking the install in “security preferences”.

You have a few minutes after the install to “Allow” it. Reinstalled and told it to allow, the restart again. It added another option in audio I/O called “Line 6 Helix”.

Dammit! It WAS a Mac thing lol 

I stand corrected lol

thanks for all the input and advice 

-j 

guess I’m not the “expert” I thought I was lol

2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

As long as you've been around, I'm sure you're familiar with "Uninstall"..... ;-)

And I thought choices mattered to you? Well here's an idea.

You go out and buy a nice iMac, load Ableton on it and then let us know how it all works for ya.

As long as you have been around, Im sure you are familiar with "returns"?  ;-) 

14 minutes ago, ninemag said:

Called line 6 and they found the issue right away- it was the Mac is blocking the install in “security preferences”.

Glad they found the issue for ya. Yes, If you are running Mojave and or Catalina once installed you have too go into security prefs and "allow" it to operate. Dunno if High Sierra does this too. Sorry I didnt remember this atm but glad it's fixed now. ; )

52 minutes ago, spikey said:

And I thought choices mattered to you? Well here's an idea.

You go out and buy a nice iMac, load Ableton on it and then let us know how it all works for ya.

As long as you have been around, Im sure you are familiar with "returns"?  ;-) 

Right. Taking this offline.

• Haha 1