Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noise Problem Finally Solved!

For about 6 months I have been noticing a noise when I played my JTV into my HD500 and then directly in my church PA system using the XLR out. It was occuring when I strummed pretty hard (I do that a lot). When I first noticed it we had just installed a new digital mixer. I thought for sure that I was simply overloading my channel input on the board. Nope. Tried reducing input. Didn't go away. Next I blamed the HD500 thinking the VDI input was simply too hot for it. The problem did not occur when using the 1/4" input. I never knew that because I always use the VDI connection on stage so I can store guitar models in patches. I still wanted to use the VDI connection so I started experimenting and found that the problem came down completely to the 3rd string (G). I opened Workbench HD and lowered every string volume down as far as it would go and then one by one listened to a highly amped signal of each string while strumming like I play on Sunday mornings in worship. The noise only occured on the G string. Lowered it's volume by 6db and the noise is gone. In my opinion the lowered G string volume does not seem to bother the sound of the chords and notes I play. Not enough in my environment to make a negative difference.

So, for all those of you who have also searched for that noise that resembles a banjo attack when playing JTV models that aren't a banjo, I encourage you to try each string alone. When I finally did that, the problem was TOTALLY obvious.

Now, does anyone know if it is possible to change the piezo on just the 3rd string or how do I go about getting it so that 3rd string doesn't quack when strummed hard? I am happy with my current solution but wondering. I noticed the piezos on the Line 6 store don't work on the JTV.

GOOD LUCK!

I've had major troubles as of late w/new 69 & clipping pop on A,D, & G - will attach links - I also TRIED lowering volume...from 100% to 25%...noise still there

May be talkin w/Graphtek soon

http://line6.com/support/topic/3635-banjo-sound-popping-noise-jtv59/page-2?do=findComment&comment=36689

&

http://line6.com/support/topic/5447-why-no-replacement-piezo-elements-for-jtv69/

For about 6 months I have been noticing a noise when I played my JTV into my HD500 and then directly in my church PA system using the XLR out. It was occuring when I strummed pretty hard (I do that a lot). When I first noticed it we had just installed a new digital mixer. I thought for sure that I was simply overloading my channel input on the board. Nope. Tried reducing input. Didn't go away. Next I blamed the HD500 thinking the VDI input was simply too hot for it. The problem did not occur when using the 1/4" input. I never knew that because I always use the VDI connection on stage so I can store guitar models in patches. I still wanted to use the VDI connection so I started experimenting and found that the problem came down completely to the 3rd string (G). I opened Workbench HD and lowered every string volume down as far as it would go and then one by one listened to a highly amped signal of each string while strumming like I play on Sunday mornings in worship. The noise only occured on the G string. Lowered it's volume by 6db and the noise is gone. In my opinion the lowered G string volume does not seem to bother the sound of the chords and notes I play. Not enough in my environment to make a negative difference.

So, for all those of you who have also searched for that noise that resembles a banjo attack when playing JTV models that aren't a banjo, I encourage you to try each string alone. When I finally did that, the problem was TOTALLY obvious.

Now, does anyone know if it is possible to change the piezo on just the 3rd string or how do I go about getting it so that 3rd string doesn't quack when strummed hard? I am happy with my current solution but wondering. I noticed the piezos on the Line 6 store don't work on the JTV.

GOOD LUCK!

You can raise a support ticket with Line 6 and ask them how much it would cost for them to replace one of your piezo's on your JTV and ask them if they can point you at a 3rd party supplier to get it directly if they can't help or they are too expensive.

You can also look at the graph tech options.....

for 69 here http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/ghost/product-detail/pn-8002-l0-ghost-strat-elite-style-pickups-lefty---6-strings?id=a502ed85-e860-4115-af57-bc85a8649df2

for 59 here http://www.graphtech.com/products/product-detail/pn-8593-c0-ghost-loaded-resomax-nw1-wraparound-bridge---chrome

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth, here was GraphTech's response to my inquiry about using their gear on a JTV59

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the email and interest in Graph Tech. I would be happy to help with your inquiry.

We have had many customers replace their stock Variax saddles with the our piezo elements, here is some great info from the “support†section of our web-site.....

Can I replace the saddles on my Line6 Variax with ghost saddles?
You can replace the LR Baggs saddles on your Strat-style Variax bridge with Graph Tech ghost saddles (PN-8000-00). These are made of String Saver composite material, and house pickups similar to the ones that came with your Variax. Unfortunately, at the present time we do not offer saddles that are compatible with the wraparound design.

Can I plug the pickup saddles from my Variax Line 6 into the ghost preamp?
The Variax saddles are electrically compatible with the ghost preamp and MIDI interface but Variax saddles lack the plug-in style connectors on our modular system. To overcome this, order the BE-0511-00 extension wiring harness, and solder wires from your Variax saddles to the pins on the harness. You will then have Variax saddles that plug into the ghost system.

Can I run both the Variax and the Hexpander off the same set of saddles?
Some Graph Tech customers have tried this with a simple Y-connection and found that the two electronic circuits interfere with each other if they're both powered on. If either is shut off, the other one works fine, so yes, you can run one or the other, but not both at the same time.

The difficulty with running two systems from two manufacturers off the same set of pickup saddles is that there may be loading, impedance mismatch, or other unpredictable interactions between the two electronic systems, when they share a common node at the connection to the pickup. There may be another way to do this, perhaps with some kind of buffer between the pickups and the circuits, but the solution remains undiscovered at this time.

For the wrapround bridges, i would simply suggest one of our pre-loaded replacement bridges,

http://graphtech.com/products/brands/ghost/ghost-tune-o-matic-bridges

I hope that helps

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns

Best regards

Gray Bramwell
Customer & Product Support

gray@graphtech.com

t: 1.800.388.7011 ext. 123
t: 604.940.5353 ext. 123 
f: 604.940.4961

post-1188905-0-20553900-1391878220_thumb.jpg