Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

"CABLE LENGTH" X "POD HD500X" (Need some help with the equation)

AllfatherWotan

Hail, folks!

I'm having a bit of a issue here.

First things first: I own a POD HD500X, and a ESP Ltd AX-50 (cheap guitar but do the job for my metalworks).

So... I used George L's cables for many years. The thing is, I lost my cables. And actually, they aren't that good as many people say.

Got to get brand new cables them.

Ernie Ball Braided, the weapon of choice.

Ok. So here's the problem...

In my country there's ONLY 25ft long cables. That's 7 meters. And I need TWO. One connecting the guitar to the HD500X, and other to connect the HD500X to the amp.

Two cables, 50ft long. It's just too much. Actually, who needs that!? But, again, it's the only size for sell in my country - welcome to the third world.

So what now? I will obliterate my signal!?

I am a metal player, but yeah, I do love blues and other stuff... I'm working on some Eric Johnson's song too. The thing is, some people said that IN THIS CASE it just doesn't matter, because I use digital effects, a processor - therefore the only worry to be concerned is the length of the cable between the GUITAR and the POD. 

1- That's true!? Anyone with a solid opinion about it!?

Also, some guys said that "you play extreme metal, higain and stuff... Don't worry, your tone will be fine. Let the Stratoguys deal with that". Some said "if you put ACTIVE PICKUPS this wouldn't be a problem, because active pickups kick-lollipop". These stuff...

2- Higain is unnefected by 50ft cable length? I mean, at least no one would notice it?

3- Active pickups does break the rules and keep my tone 100%?

Hope you guys can help me. And yeah, I do want that specific cable. Thanks by now!

You are worrying about a practically non-existent problem.
7 meters of cable between guitar and POD and 7 meters of cable between POD and PA system do not represent lengths that could have an appreciable influence on the integrity of the signal.

Anyway, if you still want shorter cables and you can't find them in your country, you could still self-assemble them as you like, it's quite easy.
I guess there is at least one shop in your country that sells electrical components.

Furthermore, for the same quality of materials chosen, the final cost of self-assembled cables is much lower than those already made.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

9 hours ago, Virtuosez said:

Two cables, 50ft long. It's just too much. Actually, who needs that!?

once you get out of your bedroom, you will need that. 

*especially considering that you don't go 25 feet in a straight line because you need slack so that you aren't tripping over them. 

Let me put it this way. In my youth, for bar local gigs, I had my own 50 foot snake that was used to get to the snake used for the pa. and that doesn't even get into measuring the ones used to get to the amp/guitar/effects 

9 hours ago, Virtuosez said:

So what now? I will obliterate my signal!?

I know guys who, in the studio, use six inch cords because they like the clarity it brings. (yes, I meant to say six inch - which is about 15 centimeters) 

But, for me, I use so many effects, that I don't consider 'tone' factors the way others do. Cord length. Woods. Pickups. These things are all compensated for by distorting a guitar and adding an EQ. 

Also, as mentioned by hurghanico, you are talking about some pretty short signal paths. 

If your ears can tell the difference between 10 and 25 ft cords (different brands or type are a separate issue), then your ears are too sophisticated for a modeler like the HD500X

4 minutes ago, pianoguyy said:

then your ears are too sophisticated for a modeler like the HD500X

yeah, speaking of tone and ears and modelers.... 

get rid of the guitar amp. 

use something designed for use with a modeler.

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2020 at 11:38 AM, pianoguyy said:

once you get out of your bedroom, you will need that. 

*especially considering that you don't go 25 feet in a straight line because you need slack so that you aren't tripping over them. 

Let me put it this way. In my youth, for bar local gigs, I had my own 50 foot snake that was used to get to the snake used for the pa. and that doesn't even get into measuring the ones used to get to the amp/guitar/effects 

Oh, boy... Well, I do play outside my bedroom. I thought that I've said about the band, but anyway... The thing is: right now we're in quarantine and even if it wasn't the case, I would need something to play live and to record some stuff at home (like YouTube content and stuff like that).

I used to have George L's cables, used it for years, but actually didn't like it that much. There was always a annoying "high" frequency, dunno.

So, I'm going to follow your suggestions, guys! Gonna buy another Ernie Ball Braided 7m/25ft, hope it works and worth it! 

PS: sorry for being late :/ and THANKS guys for the tips and support. I really really appreciate it!

Cheers, folks!