Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hardware Reamping with Helix

buggl

Hello all, I hope someone can help me with this...

I want du use the Helix LT as an reamper, but NOT as the Audio interface at the same time.

My Setup:

DAW: Reaper

ASIO: Scarlett 18i20

Helix LT.

The Idea is: 

The Scarlett is my Audio Interface, so the Output is via Monitors connected to it. I have a multi-track-mix including a Guitar-DI-Track. I want that track to be routed via Line-Out 3 of the interface into the Helix. The Helix OUT is XLR connected to my scarlett again. 

So, on the DI track I deactivate Master/Partent send in reaper, and create Send on Line3. In Scarlett MixControl I rout "DAW3" to Line Out 3. The cable is running into Return1 of the Helix.

In the Helix patch, I set the Input of a patch on "Return 1". Output is XLR.

In Global Settings I set Return 1 to Line Level.

What happens now, the DI track is running into Helix. But the patch doesn't provide the same Sound, as it would with the real Guitar connected. Sounds much more "weak" an with less gain. As if the DI track would not have the same "power" as the real guitar Signal (although I am Always using ONE guitar).

Can someone help me with this? I hope I could clarify my Situation sufficiently.

Thanks!

So, obviously, the Return's level is too low. Does the Scarlett have a choice of Line or Mic for the output? Maybe try changing the Helix's Return to instrument level? Keep all levels down when you do that and slowly bring them up. There is also a Return level adjustment in the Helix as well.

7 hours ago, MusicLaw said:

Thank you, but this is not what I am looking for. I don`t want to use the helix as audio interface and do alle the routing via the helix' usb sends and returns. I want to set up a hardware routing: send the DI signal out of my scarlett interface into the Return Input of the helix, process it there and send it back to the scarlett via XLR out.

I figured out that I have to turn off the Input gate on the patch, so there would be "more" signal. The result is a lot of background noise (either with Return level set to Line or instrument, Instrument is even worse). And still not having a proper signal and out.

What I expected was a similar result as if I used the USB-Reamping method.

Seems that there is something different between the line outpur level of the scarlett and the Return Input of the helix. They seem not to be compatible...

Does the Scarlett's line level setting at full scale bring the signal level to unity? FWIW, the Helix's main volume knob is an attenuator. When the Helix's Main Volume knob is set to Full clockwise the output signal level is at unity (presuming there are no other gain nor level boost previously in the Helix's signal chain (blocks).

I don't know if the output of the scarlett and the return input of the helix are really "unity gain" now. Only thing I can say is, with the description above you receive a decent level from the scarlett line out into the Helix' Return and can run it through a preset. The output then is the same as if a played it with a real guitar.