Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD Go - Digitech Drop

rarellano

On 5/11/2020 at 5:35 PM, silverhead said:

POD Go has monophonic pitch shifting. It tracks well for single notes but most people find it unsatisfactory for chording.

That's a shame - an accurate auto drop to Eb can be very useful for certain songs/artists (Slash, SRV etc). I suspect that it's a processing power limitation and one of the compromises.  I appreciate Line 6 was trying to come up with a unit combining great tone and flexibility in a compact form and at a very competitive price point. But a 2nd Sharc 32 chip would only cost an extra £5 and I'd rather the Pod Go was £100 more but with some extra processing power.  I wonder if Line 6 was simply not wanting to make Pod Go 'too good' such that it would impact on Helix sales - which would be an understandable position.  Obviously Pod Go is brand new and I'm sure that it's proving very successful, but perhaps it might spawn a Pod Go II in the future which might have a bit more processing power to include a drop tune and perhaps an extra fx block or two.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For some tones, some guitars, some riffs, and some players, it works fine to drop to Eb or even down to D (or more?). For others, not so much. Hard to predict which group you’ll fall in without trying it out. One thing to do is assume it may not work for you and be pleasantly surprised if it does.

Using the Simple Pitch at the very front of the signal chain does yield decent "detuning" results.  The lower you go, it is slightly more noticeable.  I've created a preset to mimic the Sunn O))) sound (down 5 half steps) and it does it pretty well.  But if you play very fast, you might begin to notice some "wobble" in the sound.  Heavily distorted pedals and amps after the pitch shift disguise it well enough.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/8/2020 at 6:19 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

Unfortunately, POD Go's semi-fixed DSP allocation wouldn't allow for hardcore polyphonic pitch algorithms. Helix/HX could, but it'd likely take up half of a single DSP (1/2 of HX Effects/Stomp or 1/4 of Helix).

Are you saying that my new Pod Go cannot handle what my Zoom G3X and Zoom MS 70cdr can do with an old processor?

1 hour ago, jnonis said:

Are you saying that my new Pod Go cannot handle what my Zoom G3X and Zoom MS 70cdr can do with an old processor?

Zoom’s pitch shifting algorithms aren’t polyphonic either.

9 hours ago, phil_m said:

Zoom’s pitch shifting algorithms aren’t polyphonic either.

You are wrong, the zoom has a polyphonic pitch shifter. I've been using it for years.

I'm really disappointed with the lack of this feature, I was planning to replace my pedalboard with the Pod Go but seems like I will have to continue using the zoom 70cdr to change the pitch.

10 hours ago, jnonis said:

You are wrong, the zoom has a polyphonic pitch shifter. I've been using it for years.

I'm really disappointed with the lack of this feature, I was planning to replace my pedalboard with the Pod Go but seems like I will have to continue using the zoom 70cdr to change the pitch.

It’s not polyphonic... There are all sorts of posts on different forums complaining about it. Like all simple pitch shifters, it may hand power chords, but it will give you artifacts with more complex chords.

Have you actually tried the POD Go pitch shift effects? They probably perform very similarly to the ones in the Zoom.

12 hours ago, phil_m said:

It’s not polyphonic... There are all sorts of posts on different forums complaining about it. Like all simple pitch shifters, it may hand power chords, but it will give you artifacts with more complex chords.

Have you actually tried the POD Go pitch shift effects? They probably perform very similarly to the ones in the Zoom.

Ok, seems like you have not tried the pitch shifter in zoom devices, and you are talking based on something that you found on internet.

I've tried both, I have the zoom pedal connected to the effects loop of the Pod Go right now, the zoom does the job, it has latency and change the guitar tone (which is expected in this kind of effects) but is useable, the Simple Pitch in the Pod Go is not useable.

11 hours ago, jnonis said:

Ok, seems like you have not tried the pitch shifter in zoom devices, and you are talking based on something that you found on internet.

I've tried both, I have the zoom pedal connected to the effects loop of the Pod Go right now, the zoom does the job, it has latency and change the guitar tone (which is expected in this kind of effects) but is useable, the Simple Pitch in the Pod Go is not useable.

I went into this with an open mind, knowing the PGO isn't the best at everything, and having tried the pitch shifter and found it to be a bit lacking, not compared to other units, but just as in not sounding as real as a note without pitch shift (obviously).  But it doesn't seem to be worse than the Zoom, quite the contrary, to my ears, seems to sound a lot closer to the Eventide, which I think is a good thing, since it's a standalone 499 harmonizer...  (PGO's effects are identical to Helix products)

Maybe you're just used to the tone of the Zoom effect and you have set that as your internal reference, and so anything which doesn't sound like it doesn't sound right to you?  Or any clip of something sounding 'right' vs something sounding 'wrong'?  As per the below video, the Zoom does not sound better to me.  Different sure, and if that's your thing ok, but I wouldn't say that PGO's Pitch Shifting is worse. 

11 hours ago, grdGo33 said:

I went into this with an open mind, knowing the PGO isn't the best at everything, and having tried the pitch shifter and found it to be a bit lacking, not compared to other units, but just as in not sounding as real as a note without pitch shift (obviously).  But it doesn't seem to be worse than the Zoom, quite the contrary, to my ears, seems to sound a lot closer to the Eventide, which I think is a good thing, since it's a standalone 499 harmonizer...  (PGO's effects are identical to Helix products)

Maybe you're just used to the tone of the Zoom effect and you have set that as your internal reference, and so anything which doesn't sound like it doesn't sound right to you?  Or any clip of something sounding 'right' vs something sounding 'wrong'?  As per the below video, the Zoom does not sound better to me.  Different sure, and if that's your thing ok, but I wouldn't say that PGO's Pitch Shifting is worse. 

I'll upload a video so everyone can judge by themselves.

This thread is about full pitch change (like Digitech Drop) so what we are talking here is how the effect behaves when you play chords and arpeggios.

The pitch shifter in the Pod Go produce a lot of artefacts which make it useless for that purpose, it behaves exactly like the monophonic pitch shifter in the zoom pedal. But the zoom pedal has other (polyphonic) pitch shifter which behaves better for chords and arpeggios.

By the way, this start looking like community managers doing damage control.

1 hour ago, jnonis said:

By the way, this start looking like community managers doing damage control.

O RLY?   Search my post history for POD Go Edit: Can you press a footswitch from the app? (PG Edit = suffering)  see if your theory holds up.  lol

This thread is about full pitch change

That's the only pitch change I know of.  What other pitch change is there?  Partial pitch change?  Do you mean just the mix; as in the % of 'dry' signal going through?

The pitch shifter in the Pod Go produce a lot of artefacts which make it useless for that purpose, it behaves exactly like the monophonic pitch shifter in the zoom pedal. But the zoom pedal has other (polyphonic) pitch shifter which behaves better for chords and arpeggios.

Well at 3:20 you can hear how the Zoom seems to crap out and makes some fugly digital noise...  But maybe like you said it has other modes where it doesn't...

This one did a comparison with the digitech Drop, spoiler, doesn't find much difference.  But the comments do mention the polyphonic thing, so maybe with clean chords it would be a different matter.

But yeah as I mentioned, I really don't have a horse in this race.  I don't use the PS, as I find they tend so sound artificial, but yeah, it appears that you are looking for a polyphonic pitch shifter, which the PGO isn't as was mentioned, so a no-go for you it seems!    Happy to have learned about polyphonic pitch shifters, peace!  :)