Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Go output (recording) is extremely quiet

saxatron

My Pod Go is on the v1.10 firmware. I am pretty much a noob at this, but I ran it by someone who is fairly savvy in this stuff and we both couldn't figure it out.

I set my guitar volume at max volume and when I record (or even listen through the headphones) it is extremely soft. The volume pedal is at 100%. When I play music from my USB device, it is super loud compared to my output. I have to change the global volume of the USB in down as low as possible to even hear the guitar over the sound of USB in.

I have all the amp volume knob settings cranked to 100.

Basically, I have been reduced to running out into my Scarlett to add gain in order to get a decent signal. I am out of ideas, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Are you saying that the guitar amp tone itself is very weak, but playback is extremely loud when PodGo is the interface?

The only thing I can think of is maybe you knocked the level down on the global EQ down by accident?

3 hours ago, silverhead said:

Are you using the latest Line 6 driver?

I am on the v1.10 firmware which is the latest firmware. I usually record into my iPad which doesn't have a driver. Same issue on my computer though.

3 minutes ago, spaceatl said:

Are you saying that the guitar amp tone itself is very weak, but playback is extremely loud when PodGo is the interface?

The only thing I can think of is maybe you knocked the level down on the global EQ down by accident?

I factory reset the settings, I haven't changed anything.  The recorded sound via USB seems to have 0 gain. I have attached a screen shot. The top one is a normal track (imported audio), the bottom one is what I get when I record via USB. That is as loud as it gets no matter how loud I crank any of my volume settings, and my guitar is at 100% volume. As you can tell, the problem then becomes the top track during monitoring is way louder than the guitar, and I can't hear anything. Ideally they would both have the same wave size. Thanks for your responses.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 9.36.58 AM.png

What USB channels sent by the POD Go are you recording? It sends USB 1&2 (the processed signal) and USB 3&4 (the dry signal). What have you selected as the Record Input after arming the channel for recording?

2 hours ago, silverhead said:

What USB channels sent by the POD Go are you recording? It sends USB 1&2 (the processed signal) and USB 3&4 (the dry signal).

The iPad doesn't allow me to select, but I made sure that it was on 1&2 when directly connected to the computer. Both devices I can hear the effects on the signal.

2 hours ago, silverhead said:

What have you selected as the Record Input after arming the channel for recording?

Not sure what to look for here. Any tips?

Is the POD Go loud enough through the headphones when just playing, not connected to the computer or recording? If so it seems to be a USB issue. Try using a USB 2.0, not 3.0, port. Try different USB ports on your computer and avoid using a USB hub.

13 minutes ago, silverhead said:

Is the POD Go loud enough through the headphones when just playing, not connected to the computer or recording? If so it seems to be a USB issue. Try using a USB 2.0, not 3.0, port. Try different USB ports on your computer and avoid using a USB hub.

Yes, same problem with the headphones. At about 75% volume on my guitar, i have to crank the volume dial on the Pod Go all the way to max in order to hear it as if normal. At 100% volume on my guitar, i can put it at 60% and hear it as if normal (but if I try to use audio in with it at either of these settings it will blow my eardrums out, it is insanely loud). I just tried connecting the cable that came with it directly to my computer (I had bought a usb c version that I was using). Same issue. I don't think it is a usb problem because the USB Audio In is just fine.

37 minutes ago, silverhead said:

Yes I have a POD Go. I have no problem with volume, speakers or headphones, nor any problems with USB recording level.

Are you on the v1.1 firmware? I may try to factory reset if possible (instead of factory reseting just the global settings) and see if the v1.0 firmware has the same issue. I upgrade immediately out of the box, so never tested on the old one.

I have PodGo as well, my volume is set around half to less than half when I am recording. Plenty loud...Matching up to a mix for dubbing about about +-3 db depending on the mix, patch etc...levels are healthy...Your problem sounds really strange...You are using ASIO for your input config correct? Just thought I would ask.

17 minutes ago, saxatron said:

Are you on the v1.1 firmware? I may try to factory reset if possible (instead of factory reseting just the global settings) and see if the v1.0 firmware has the same issue. I upgrade immediately out of the box, so never tested on the old one.

Yes I am running v1.1 firmware - the latest and current version. I don’t believe  it’s a firmware issue. The fact that you can’t get the sound loud, even without the POD Go connected via USB, indicates that it’s not a driver or recording issue. It’s more general and basic - likely a hardware fault at the input stage imo.

1 hour ago, spaceatl said:

I have PodGo as well, my volume is set around half to less than half when I am recording. Plenty loud...Matching up to a mix for dubbing about about +-3 db depending on the mix, patch etc...levels are healthy...Your problem sounds really strange...You are using ASIO for your input config correct? Just thought I would ask.

Not sure what that means, sorry, I am very new to this. I googled ASIO and looks to be Windows related. This happens on iPad, Mac, and Windows. Are you referring to a setting on the Pod Go by chance?

Yes, I ASIO is a Windows thing...With a Mac everything you need is built in, but I think there are still some levels that can be adjusted.

Core Audio Driver Settings (macOS only)

To use POD Go as an audio interface for Mac applications, it is not necessary to install any additional driver. POD Go will utilize the Mac computer's class compliant USB driver automatically simply by connecting to your USB port. POD Go will then appear as a selectable Core Audio device within the Mac Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup panel and/or directly within your DAW host and multimedia applications. Note that this Apple class compliant driver offers strictly 48kHz native sample rate operation.

I don't have this installed on a Mac, but it should look something like this:

image.thumb.png.ad825a6599a23e62a9cda88570b690bb.png

On 5/12/2020 at 7:40 AM, saxatron said:

I am on the v1.10 firmware which is the latest firmware. I usually record into my iPad which doesn't have a driver. Same issue on my computer though.

I factory reset the settings, I haven't changed anything.  The recorded sound via USB seems to have 0 gain. I have attached a screen shot. The top one is a normal track (imported audio), the bottom one is what I get when I record via USB. That is as loud as it gets no matter how loud I crank any of my volume settings, and my guitar is at 100% volume. As you can tell, the problem then becomes the top track during monitoring is way louder than the guitar, and I can't hear anything. Ideally they would both have the same wave size. Thanks for your responses.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 9.36.58 AM.png

The bottom waveform is much closer to what I'd expect (and hope for!) than the top one. Actually, as long as you're recording 24-bit, you never want your waveforms to look like the top one; it much easier to run out of headroom on your DAW's busses. The notion of "track everything as loud as possible to get the best signal" was killed back in the 90s.

Recording level is highly dependent on what blocks you use when recording USB In 1/2, but if you were to record your guitar's dry signal (USB In 3 or 4), the bottom waveform is likely what you'd get, as it's an instrument-level signal, by design. This lets you route it back into your signal path (when the Input block is set to USB In 3/4) at the same level your guitar would be at if it were plugged straight into POD Go. Otherwise, it'd be like running a half-dozen or more boost pedals before your amp; that is, it'd sound like total butt.

1 hour ago, Digital_Igloo said:

the bottom waveform is likely what you'd get, as it's an instrument-level signal, by design

Thanks for the input, I'm definitely starting to think it may be an issue with me and not the Go. It is recorded Channel 1/2, not 3/4. I was told on my guitar to set my low/mid/high knobs to the middle and let the amp handle the rest, but messing around with those yesterday I was getting a better signal even not at max volume (not too track level, but I think I agree with you, it shouldnt look like that).

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, PedroRock said:

Hello,

I also have the same problem, Guitar is to quite compared to the other sounds of the PC, if I turn a youtube video on with sound its so loud compared to guitar volume,

Is this normal? I'm on windows.

Thank you,

Yes, it’s normal. The sounds from YouTube and other sites are program material, mastered to be as loud as possible.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

I am having the same difficulties with my POD Go - I am also new to DAW, recording, and the little POD Go beast, so I guess I am the one doing something wrong. In any case, I could really use the help! It happens when I try to record both, guitar, and bass. Especially with this last one.

I am using Reaper as my DAW. I configured the ASIO, firmware on POD is updated, and everything should be set correctly I believe. I have set volumes max everywhere just to check (POD, guitar/bass, computer, etc) and while I get a somewhat ok volume when using the guitar with any distortion preset (feels it could still be louder the signal), when I use any preset with clean guitars, it sounds really quiet/low whatever I record. Same happens with any bass preset I use.

Any ideas of things I should check? I really don't think the device is faulty, but I'd be really happy to have this functioning correctly :)

Thank you!

PS: Sounds perfect when connecting to speakers, monitors, amp, etc, just a low signal when recording.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 6:24 PM, PedroRock said:

Hello,

I also have the same problem, Guitar is to quite compared to the other sounds of the PC, if I turn a youtube video on with sound its so loud compared to guitar volume,

Is this normal? I'm on windows.

Thank you,

hi! I bought a pod go, and have the same problem. Even with the headphones output. It's normal or it's a problem of my pod go?

12 minutes ago, gustavencio said:

hi! I bought a pod go, and have the same problem. Even with the headphones output. It's normal or it's a problem of my pod go?

It’s not unusual for the sound from your guitar to be a lot quieter than stuff from YouTube or whatever, no.

25 minutes ago, phil_m said:

It’s not unusual for the sound from your guitar to be a lot quieter than stuff from YouTube or whatever, no.

But doesn't it seem strange to you that by using the headphone output I can put it to the maximum and is far from stunned?

• 5 months later...
On 10/9/2020 at 11:15 PM, saxatron said:

Yeah, seems to be the norm, my solution was to decrease the USB in to -14dB in the global settings.

I’m actually having the same issues with recording being way too quiet. Was this your final solution? 

Thanks! I actually fixed this a different way by tweaking the Line Out in the pedal chain interface for each preset and it worked (kind of). But with a bass it sounds all broken up and clipping. I'll give this a shot. 

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I´m having the same issue with the Pod Go.

Extremely low volume on the headphones. To compesate, I have to put the master in 10 and increase the main out put on the preset. It works, but this is not the right way to work. 

I also have a POD HD 500, put them together, and the output volume in the headphone of the HD500 is much, much higher comparing with the POD GO's. 

The Firmware and drive of the POD Go are updated. 

Does anyone have the solution for that?

Thanks!!

Never had issues with the headphone out (the one on the back of the device, not USB right?). The physical knob on the Pod Go (the one upper left of the pedal) controls that output, you have that turned all the way to the right and it is still quiet? If so seems like a hardware issue.