Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recorded the hotel California solos (all instruments) with Helix! ​​​​​​

JazzInc

#coronagoals. I had set myself the goal to master all the parts in the epic final solo of Hotel California in my downtime during this crisis. I found out there are 11 parts!! (6 electric guitars, 2 acoustic guitars, 1 bass part, the organ part and of course programming drums). Well, it took a little longer than expected.

I recorded all electric guitars and the bass using line 6 helix into an Apollo X8. I recorded the acoustic guitars with a stereo set of Neumann KM184s, finally I recorded the organ with a Roland RD-2000 and used the Luna Shape instrument to get the right tone, and I mixed everything in the new Universal Audio Luna DAW.

I used a custom patch based on the tweed amp with a custom IR for all the electric guitars and I use the standard Cali 1 bass preset for the bass guitar.

Here is the download link for the Helix Patch and the custom IR I created:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/enyre15p7n6eu07/Dimed Tweed LesP.hlx?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q78oi5dro8ssx4k/50MU67edge-50Web121cap-100.wav?dl=0

Be sure to use the custom IR and save it in position 33

Love to hear your feedback!

Very happy user. Here is my first full mix: 

https://youtu.be/iVOYkehL2Hw

50MU67edge-50Web121cap-100.wav Dimed Tweed LesP.hlx

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Markonian said:

That was fabulous!  What amp & Cab did you use?

Thanks!!! I'll do you one better. Here is the custom patch and custom IR I used:

For the solos, I enabled a tube screamer, and for the telecaster parts, I added the script mod phaser pedal. For the reggae rhythm, I enabled the Wah pedal in a fixed position and for the supporting electric guitar lines, I added a little bit of chorus. Here is the download link for the Helix Patch and the custom IR I created: https://www.dropbox.com/s/enyre15p7n6eu07/Dimed Tweed LesP.hlx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q78oi5dro8ssx4k/50MU67edge-50Web121cap-100.wav?dl=0

Be sure to use the custom IR and save it in position 33 Love to hear your feedback!

50MU67edge-50Web121cap-100.wav Dimed Tweed LesP.hlx

• Haha 1

First, that was really nice.  Second, beautiful guitars.  Third, that was really nice :)....

Ok, forgive me for sort of being off topic.   Here is a perfect example of why it would be nice to be able view the helix edit without the helix unit connected.  I would love to SEE what he has put together.  I should be working of course, but I want to think about important stuff so of course I came to the Helix site.  You have done a great job on this and I would love to see you signal chain, etc.... 

ok, I'm done.  Thank you for sharing, very nicely done.  The tones were dead on and the playing was very clean!

8 hours ago, PaulTBaker said:

First, that was really nice.  Second, beautiful guitars.  Third, that was really nice :)....

Ok, forgive me for sort of being off topic.   Here is a perfect example of why it would be nice to be able view the helix edit without the helix unit connected.  I would love to SEE what he has put together.  I should be working of course, but I want to think about important stuff so of course I came to the Helix site.  You have done a great job on this and I would love to see you signal chain, etc.... 

ok, I'm done.  Thank you for sharing, very nicely done.  The tones were dead on and the playing was very clean!

Every thing you said is better than I could say it.

11 hours ago, PaulTBaker said:

Thanks so much. I understand what you're saying. Here is a screenshot at least to give you an impression. I really find that adding that custom IR, the Tube Mic Pre and the LA compressor at the end makes a positive improvement on any patch. I always use that. As for the amp settings, based on an interview with Don Felder, where he claimed it was a tweed amp fully dimed, I just did that for this patch

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 09.33.08.png

• Like 1