Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X & Studio Monitor Noise

Dannymangman

Hello all, been struggling with this for quite sometime. Thanks for the help in advance.

Setup is simple:

Desktop connected via USB to POD. POD connected via 1/4" outs to JBL LSR305 studio monitors.

I get an annoying electrical noise that is from my PC (it fluctuates when I move the mouse or start applications/games.)

It also occurs regardless of the POD unit being on or off, only depends on the monitors being on and all connections in place back to the PC.

When I use the XLR outs to the monitor the signal is clean again, but, using the XLR outs i understand I need to switch my monitor to the +4dbU setting. Unfortunately, this makes the volume very low (about 25% of what the monitors can do at the max.)

When keeping them on the -10dbV setting, the volume is better, but clipping starts to happen.

I also have a power conditioner from Furman, and have tried plugging everything into different outlets, same outlets, I even changed the Power Supply on my PC. No luck lol.

Hopefully someone has another idea. Thanks again!

-Dan

9 hours ago, Dannymangman said:

When I use the XLR outs to the monitor the signal is clean again, but, using the XLR outs i understand I need to switch my monitor to the +4dbU setting. Unfortunately, this makes the volume very low (about 25% of what the monitors can do at the max.)

When keeping them on the -10dbV setting, the volume is better, but clipping starts to happen.

The POD XLR outputs give only mic level (low) signals whereas 1/4" jack outputs can give mic level or line level (high) signals (depending of the setting of the dedicated switch near the pedal).

Therefore since your are using XLR to get a cleaner signal your monitor inputs should be set to accept the lower level signals, in this case -10dBV (which thing means that the monitors pre-amp will boost them more as needed).

When using the POD XLR outputs you can take advantage of the Ground Lift option setting of the dedicated switch near the pedal in order to get rid of noises caused by ground loops.

PS.

The input labels settings (+4dBu or -10dBV) in the monitors do not indicate what will be done to the input signal (like adding or removing decibels) but instead what type of input signal is introduced in the device (by simplifying: strong or weak), so the monitor pre-amp will work accordingly.

Eg. if you connect the POD through jack outputs and the output switch is set to LINE (high level), your monitor input should be set to +4dBu, ie to accept the stronger signal type, using instead the -10dbV would make the monitors boosting an already strong signal making the monitors clipping.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

the other, more simple thing is --- use better 1/4" wires and keep them away from the microwaves 

any interference that cheap wire pick up will be transmitted into the machine. 

*different outlets isn't always a solution. outlets on a different breaker is.