Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Done

smrybacki

Smartphones are not just another toy.  They certainly can be used for entertainment, but to write them off as a toy....

I use my smartphone everyday and would be in a tough spot without it.  It tells me the time, the weather, gives me the news, it's my GPS, I get email and text, I use it as my camera, I use it as my internet connection at my office because there's no wifi, I'm constantly using it to look up information, the list goes on and on. 

And I don't have a single game installed on it, so it's no toy.  

As far as the phone part I maybe drop 3 or 4 calls a year which is far from problematic.  I happen to be on Verizon.  In fact I hate talking on the phone and if I could lose one part of the functionality of a smart phone it would be a relief to not have to talk into it.  

How can you compare the "function" of a land line that does one thing to a smartphone that does hundreds of things.  I get a lot more function out of my smartphone.  Haven't had a land line in years and I don't miss it.  Having one line that works 100% of the time but only in your house vs a phone that works, let's say for argument's sake, 90% of the time that you can carry anywhere.  I much prefer having a mobile smart phone, but that's just me.

You don't like smartphones, that's fine, don't use one.  Just doesn't make sense to write off a whole technology because it doesn't work for you.  But that seems to be the everybody thinks these days.  I'm tired of hearing "If it doesn't work for me, then obviously it's junk".  

Dude I didn't say Smart phones were junk.

I just don't want to spend my days being a slave to them.

I'm tired of going out in the public and all you see is people looking down at a freakin phone.

Not paying any attention to what's going on around them.

Talking loud and not caring how it affects anyone around them.

And God forbid if they ever leave home without it or the battery goes dead - they act as if the world is going to end.

I don't want to do my work on an Iphone - I have laptops and desktops for that.

I don't need to listen to crappy MP3 files - I have thousands of dollars of great audio gear for that.

I don't need a camera in my phone - I have awesome cameras for that.

I don't need a GPS cause I don't want the freakin government tracking me everywhere I go.

I don't need people texting me or calling me while I'm at a concert or a ballgame or at dinner or a movie - nothing's the important.

Why would I want to watch a movie on a midget screen and listen to audio on  $h!tty ear buds when I have large hi-def tvs with JBL surround sound - that's not my idea of entertainment -  it's a joke to me to be looking at a 3 inch screen all freakin day.

Life's so much more fun without all the distractions that cell phones create.

Finally I don't like having one piece of equipment that I have to depend on for everything I do - if it gets lost or breaks down you're f$$ked.

• Upvote 4

I wore out several albums and a turntable or two slowing down and replaying Led Zeppelin passages trying to cop Jimmy Page's chops.  Today, the plop it into something like RIffStation, and it can even tell them what chords are being played.  Rocket science.  And digital modellers are at the heart of it now for so many kids coming up.

Oh that's exactly what I did when I was starting to play guitar! Nowadays I use software to slow down songs but the concept is the same, I still transcribe songs by ear. I don't know if the problem it's in the technology but in every guitar video on YouTube I see comments like "tab please!". It seems nobody wants to do that anymore :)

Dude I didn't say Smart phones were junk.

I just don't want to spend my days being a slave to them.

I'm tired of going out in the public and all you see is people looking down at a freakin phone.

Not paying any attention to what's going on around them.

Talking loud and not caring how it affects anyone around them.

And God forbid if they ever leave home without it or the battery goes dead - they act as if the world is going to end.

I don't want to do my work on an Iphone - I have laptops and desktops for that.

I don't need to listen to crappy MP3 files - I have thousands of dollars of great audio gear for that.

I don't need a camera in my phone - I have awesome cameras for that.

I don't need a GPS cause I don't want the freakin government tracking me everywhere I go.

I don't need people texting me or calling me while I'm at a concert or a ballgame or at dinner or a movie - nothing's the important.

Why would I want to watch a movie on a midget screen and listen to audio on  $h!tty ear buds when I have large hi-def tvs with JBL surround sound - that's not my idea of entertainment -  it's a joke to me to be looking at a 3 inch screen all freakin day.

Life's so much more fun without all the distractions that cell phones create.

Finally I don't like having one piece of equipment that I have to depend on for everything I do - if it gets lost or breaks down you're f$$ked.

Congratulation for your post ! this is the best post ever on this site.

Well; radatats came up with a patch idea that uses two amp model slots - but leaves one empty, and turns down the volume all the way on the second amp model.

As near as I can tell, it does somehow bypass all the preamp routing - the empty amp model level is controlled via the HD mixer. Here is the concept in more detail:

Acoustic Solution For Jtv With Dt Amps

Thanks...tried it, works much better than what I'd been using even though I'm not running a DT series amp (HD>>Carvin TS100 power amp>>Marshall Silver Anniv. 4x12), and listening straight out of the HD, it's like night and day compared to what I had going...anyone having issues with the acoustics should give it a try. Might have to tweek EQ a bit, and add some reverb, but that's it. Great idea...

The original topic of this thread is "Done".  After reading the posts here I would have to say the topic is "Overdone".  I can't even remember what was trying to be discussed.

Oh heck, just go with it.  It's been a good discussion anyway.

• Upvote 3