Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod hd bean + orange dark terror

Karol13

Hello, good day everyone. Guitar noob question here. So I have a line 6 pod hd bean, an orange dark terror and orange 1x12 cab. I'm not so much liking the stock amps in the line 6 hd edit and wish to use the dark terror along with the pod. Is that something that could be done?

Can I just send a cable from the input in the dark terror into the pod hd left or right input and then connect my guitar to the pod hd?

Or should I connect the pod to the fx loop in the dark terror? Which I am quite unfamiliar with.

Cheers!

one of the reasons you aren't liking the amps you hear is because they are being further amp'd by your amp. 

as to the hookup questions - 

the one true rule is... there are no rules. do whatever you want/need to make it sound the way you want/need it to sound. 

so, feel free to hook up those other ways if you want. 

but, the bean, being a 'smaller' unit, does not have an actual fx loop. so, while you can make it work using the amp's fx loop, you still lose some of the versatility that an fx loop on the bean would allow. 

3 hours ago, Karol13 said:

Can I just send a cable from the input in the dark terror into the pod hd left or right input and then connect my guitar to the pod hd?

Yes you can,

an other very good option IMO is to connect your guitar to the POD and the POD directly to the RETURN input of your amp (thus bypassing your amp pre-amp), doing so you could combine the POD pre-amp versions of the amp models with the real power-amp of your amp, thus creating several useful amp sounds, moreover doing so you would have also the chance to put some FX like overdrive, etc. in front of the pre-amp (model) and other FX like delay reverb etc. between the chosen pre-amp (model) and the real power-amp.

Some of the most successfull amps are the DT series by Line6, and what they are basically is pre-amp models (exactly the same you find in your POD) into a real tube power-amp and finally a real cab. They are very versatile and sound very good.

If you try the above suggestion is like recreating a sort of DT amp. A sort of hybrid that works pretty well.

In general based on your rig I suggest not to enable the cab models since you are already using a real one. But obviously you can do any experiment.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

19 hours ago, hurghanico said:

Yes you can,

an other very good option IMO is to connect your guitar to the POD and the POD directly to the RETURN input of your amp (thus bypassing your amp pre-amp), doing so you could combine the POD pre-amp versions of the amp models with the real power-amp of your amp, thus creating several useful amp sounds, moreover doing so you would have also the chance to put some FX like overdrive, etc. in front of the pre-amp (model) and other FX like delay reverb etc. between the chosen pre-amp (model) and the real power-amp.

So would you recommend connecting 

Guitar to tube amp input

Pod left output to amp send

Pod right output to amp return

Thanks!

Guitar to tube amp input

Thanks

19 hours ago, hurghanico said:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

49 minutes ago, Karol13 said:

Guitar to tube amp input

Absolutely not.. (your scheme above is wrong, the part regarding the POD connections doesn't make sense, generally what is labeled as SEND is an output, and you can't connect an output to another output)..

you have basically 2 choices:

1) If you want to use the POD just for effects connect the guitar to the POD and the POD to the amp guitar input.

2) if you want instead (as suggested by me previously) to combine the POD pre-amps models (+ effects) with your amp power-amp (thus bypassing your amp pre-amp), connect the guitar to your POD and the POD to the RETURN of your amp (you don't have to use the SEND output at all). That's it.

PS.

Actually you could have also a third option (maybe what you really wanted to do) but which personally I wouldn't recommend, ie putting the POD in the FX LOOP of your amp, but doing so some FX models like overdrive, wah would be not in the ideal placement ie in front of your amp.

In any case if this type of connection is what you really want, connect the guitar to your amp, connect the amp SEND output to the POD guitar input and one of the 2 POD outputs to the amp RETURN input.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

What types of tones are you most interested in doing ?  What types of effects are you planning on using ?  Just trying to see what you're trying to accomplish.  The Dark Terror is a really good sounding amp for blues and high gain tones.  IMO - a touch of reverb and delay with that amp and it sounds great.

On 5/17/2020 at 8:47 AM, hurghanico said:

Absolutely not.. (your scheme above is wrong, the part regarding the POD connections doesn't make sense, generally what is labeled as SEND is an output, and you can't connect an output to another output)..

you have basically 2 choices:

1) If you want to use the POD just for effects connect the guitar to the POD and the POD to the amp guitar input.

2) if you want instead (as suggested by me previously) to combine the POD pre-amps models (+ effects) with your amp power-amp (thus bypassing your amp pre-amp), connect the guitar to your POD and the POD to the RETURN of your amp (you don't have to use the SEND output at all). That's it.

PS.

Actually you could have also a third option (maybe what you really wanted to do) but which personally I wouldn't recommend, ie putting the POD in the FX LOOP of your amp, but doing so some FX models like overdrive, wah would be not in the ideal placement ie in front of your amp.

In any case if this type of connection is what you really want, connect the guitar to your amp, connect the amp SEND output to the POD guitar input and one of the 2 POD outputs to the amp RETURN input.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

So i tried all 3 methods as suggested and I still get no drive from my tube amp. Just the raw sound coming from the pod and nothing more. Is there something I am doing wrong?

On 5/18/2020 at 8:25 AM, joel_brown said:

What types of tones are you most interested in doing ?  What types of effects are you planning on using ?  Just trying to see what you're trying to accomplish.  The Dark Terror is a really good sounding amp for blues and high gain tones.  IMO - a touch of reverb and delay with that amp and it sounds great.

I am just mostly trying to use a tube screamer and compressor, noise gate in the pod along with my dark terror. I love the sounds it has. But nothing seem to work, I have tried putting the pod hd in the fx loop and still getting no distortion from the tube amp, tried putting it after the tube amp and same problem, and tried sending on of the output of the pod to the return in the tube amp and still no distortion from the tube amp.

Is the Master Volume knob of the POD set to maximum as it should be when used along with other amps?

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

2 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

Is the Master Volume knob of the POD set to maximum as it should be when used along with other amps?

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Yes it is

2 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

Could you post here the patch you are using so we can check it?

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

I'm not sure about the patch but it seems like just a new tone in the pod hd edit.

What I did was send a cable from the pod left output to return in the fx loop and a cable from my guitar to the pod hd guitar input. All the knobs are maxed out but there is no drive from my tube amp. I go into the pod hd edit and still no drive or distortion coming. Just a clean sound only. Sorry if I'm not explaining it well. I can make a video upload it to YouTube and post it here and maybe someone can critique on what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks 

Since at this point I suspect that the PC/POD driver (you said you are using the editor) is not set properly, please try the following:

disconnect the POD from your computer (and do not reconnect it until the end of this experiment)

turn it off

turn it on

connect the guitar to the POD

connect the POD to the amp guitar input

make a sound manually on the POD, and/or try some factory presets

see if you're still having the same problem or if it is working as expected

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

59 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

Since at this point I suspect that the PC/POD driver (you said you are using the editor) is not set properly, please try the following:

disconnect the POD from your computer (and do not reconnect it until the end of this experiment)

turn it off

turn it on

connect the guitar to the POD

connect the POD to the amp guitar input

make a sound manually on the POD, and/or try some factory presets

see if you're still having the same problem or if it is working as expected

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

ok so that seems to help quite a bit. thank you. now i was wondering if i can connect my headphones to the pod and jam along to it other than using my speakers/ cab. I tried connecting the headphones to the pod but still no distortion sound. would there be any means to fix this problem? thanks 

1 hour ago, Karol13 said:

ok so that seems to help quite a bit. thank you. now i was wondering if i can connect my headphones to the pod and jam along to it other than using my speakers/ cab. I tried connecting the headphones to the pod but still no distortion sound. would there be any means to fix this problem? thanks 

If you want to use the headphones (and not your real amp/cab) you should use very different patches than those made for the POD connected to your amp.

- When using headphones or PA monitors your patches should include at least 1 full version amp+cab model (as opposed to pre-amp models ie those with "pre" in their name).

- When connecting the POD to your amp standard input no amp model is needed, when connecting instead the POD to your amp RETURN your patches should include at least 1 pre-amp version amp (no cab) model, when the POD is placed instead between the SEND and RETURN no amp model should be used.

Since the POD headphones output always replicates what the standard outputs do (and obviously not what is coming out of your real amp/cab), the sound in the headphones of the patches with no amp or with pre-amp and no cab are not going to sound very good. That's why when using headphones you need patches complete with at least the bare minimum necessary, ie a full amp model with its cab.

Going back to your original issue, if with the POD disconnected from your computer (to avoid the influence of a badly set driver), you do/use properly made patches (even the factory ones), you should not have any problem to get distortion, actually you should get plenty of it, since the POD input signal is already boosted (hiddenly) by default, and makes the models distorting very easily if not too much.

After all that said, if you still don't get distortion, I haven't any other suggestions to give... who knows?..maybe you have a broken unit (hope not).

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Sorry to jump in here. You actually can serialize the HD Desktop and 4CM your preamp on your amp. It's a super tweaky setup, but it does work...There were a few of us back in the day that did it. I posted the original thread about it and brought it over to this forum when the forum was updated. It's a 4th option basically. I have done it more for recording than anything else...It's not really a great setup for live. Basically, in order for it to really work well the POD would need a modified master pot that is concentric...But if you are patient and understand signal flow it is possible to 4CM an HD Bean. It's purely academic IMO...but enjoy anyway...Can't believe how old these things are.