Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

clicks and pops

mc0397mc

So it's been a pretty rough month for me. 

I have discovered as of today all audio (system sounds, youtube/spotify, DAW, straight from from Helix) has a lot clicks, pops and cracks. I have tried to narrow this down and have gone through the following: 

Tested all audio on brand new AKG headphones connected to helix: clicks and pops

Tested headphones on other sources: no issues

Tested all audio through monitors (Yorkville YSM5's): Clicks and pops

Tested all audio through internal speakers: no clicks no pops clear audio

Through this it has been narrowed down to the Helix and for the life of me I can not find anything in the global settings that has changed over night

EDIT: 

I am running a 2017 iMac

Processor 2.3GHz

Memory 8GB 2133MHz DDR4

Most of the time IME, clicks and pops are a word clock issue.  Make sure all digital kit is set to the same sample rate/bit depth and allocate one device to be the the word clock master.

I’ve mostly experienced it in pro tools if I have my outboard i/o set to internal and my computer/daw i/o set to internal, I’ll get clicks and pops.  When I set my outboard i/o to clock to the incoming digital signal, everything’s happy.

Sean Meredith-Jones

www.seanmeredithjones.com

• Like 1

This issue is a computer one, not a Helix one. Things that can affect this (there are others, but off the top of my head):

-buffer set too low in ASIO settings for Helix (this is a computer setting, not Helix setting) — I don’t know if Mac lets you adjust this but PC does

-CPU overloads from background processes

-OS updates that broke something

-WiFi or network adapters (WiFi is especially prone to causing this and it’s typically recommended to disable WiFi adapters on computers built for audio processing)

-Sample rate mismatch between OS and other apps trying to access Helix for audio (like Smj7 said above)

-Misbehaving apps that are hijacking the audio output (again, don’t know how it works on Mac, but on Windows there is an ‘exclusive control’ option that can affect playback outside of a DAW)

-Nearby things that emit R/F like tablets and phones and fluorescent lights, which can inject all sorts of digital noise into signals

In short, look for recent changes to your computer and environment, not your Helix. Do you have new devices plugged into USB ports that weren’t there before? Recent OS updates? Phone sitting on desk next to your audio processing gear?