Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preamp Modal vs. Amp Modal. What's the difference?

Nylander88

Amp (full) = pre-amp + power-amp + cab combined together (every single component contributes heavily to the final sound)

Pre-amp = just the pre-amp, therefore (normally, or in most cases) it needs also a (external) power-amp + cab to get a satisfying sound

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• Upvote 1

On 5/17/2020 at 6:35 AM, hurghanico said:

Amp (full) = pre-amp + power-amp + cab combined together (every single component contributes heavily to the final sound)

so, take the HX line where you have 1. Amp+Cab 2. Amps 3. Preamps 4.Cabs, what would be the difference between just the Amp head modal and Preamp modal?

30 minutes ago, Nylander88 said:

so, take the HX line where you have 1. Amp+Cab 2. Amps 3. Preamps 4.Cabs, what would be the difference between just the Amp head modal and Preamp modal?

As the freely downloadable HX manual says:

Amp+Cab = Amp+Cab blocks are convenient in that when you select an Amp model, its matching Cab model is automatically loaded

Amp = Amp blocks are identical to Amp+Cab blocks, except they contain no matched cab model

Preamp = We’ve also included a complete set of Preamp versions of each Amp model, which provide the tone of just the preamp stage of the amp—recommended when feeding Helix into an external amplifier (either via 1/4" to your traditional amp or via L6 LINK to a Line 6 DT25 or DT50).

Cab = There are two subcategories of Cab blocks—Single and Dual. Not surprisingly, dual Cabs take twice as much DSP as single Cabs.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hurghanico said:

As the freely downloadable HX manual says:

Thanks, I do have the manual but what I don't like is that it is out of date and does not show any new stuff or information about the Hx line (I could be wrong but, oh well.

2 hours ago, Nylander88 said:

Thanks, I do have the manual but what I don't like is that it is out of date and does not show any new stuff or information about the Hx line (I could be wrong but, oh well.

I don't have a HX line product (I'm still using a HD500) therefore I'm not aware about how much outdated are the info given in the available manual compared to the current level of development reached by the HX series.

However in regard to your original question about the difference between an amp (supposedly full) and a pre-amp the answer does not concern a specific device but it is a concept valid in general, that is: a preamp (real or modeled) represents only the first part of an amp since it lacks the power-amp.

Then the difference between a device and another could be in their default behavior when selecting an amp or preamp, eg some might apply automatically a cab after them and some not, and might apply different parameter settings, etc.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• Upvote 1

while the above answers are correct, the ultimate answer is ---- 

do what you need to do to make it sound the way you need it to sound. 

so, regardless of they are or what they do, you do what works for you. 

i have many patches that use a preamp even though i run direct. there are no rules to getting the right sound. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

while the above answers are correct, the ultimate answer is ---- 

do what you need to do to make it sound the way you need it to sound. 

so, regardless of they are or what they do, you do what works for you. 

i have many patches that use a preamp even though i run direct. there are no rules to getting the right sound. 

Yours is not the "ultimate answer" to the question about which is the difference between a preamp and and an amp, question to which I gave what could be considered rightly an answer.. in this context what you said could be a "suggestion".. and surely not an explanation of what has been asked.

As they say: "first learn the rules then break them".

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• Upvote 1