Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using helix to record with AMP

FuZz3

Hello guys,

Im currently using helix lt to record stuff trough Reaper DAW, using usb interface of helix, and i came a cross with the problem of sound replication.

I use the helix lt mainly as a pedal, because i live a lot of my amp and the overdrive of the amp is also very good.

With that in mind, i want to record my guitar with the sound that i use, the amp sound, is there a way to do it?

If i connect the amp trough 1/4 out , does it pass trough USB? or do i have to put the amp trough the guitar input?

Sorry guys, you probably are going to hate on me for using it as a pedal! haha

The best way to record the sound coming from your amp is to put a mic in front of the amp and record that. Another way is to use your amp’s line out and then compensate for the fact that this signal does not include a cab.

Both of these strategies can get complicated if you are wanting to use Helix to both process your guitar signal before it goes to the amp and also to record the amp, either mic’d or direct. You will need to construct your preset carefully. Here are some thoughts on that:

- Create a dual path preset. Make sure the paths are completely independent; do not route Path 1 Output to Path 2.

- Using the Output blocks, pan Path 1 output hard right and Path 2 output hard left.

- Use Path 1 to process your guitar and send the output signal to your amp. Set Path 1 Input to Guitar (or Variax). Add your desired processing blocks. Connect the Helix R audio output to your amp.

- Use Path 2 to receive the amp output and  send the signal to your DAW for recording.  Set the Input to mic if you are mic’ing the amp, or to one of Return jacks where you would connect the amp’s direct output. If using the direct output you should add a cab block to the path. 
- In your DAW arm a mono track for recording and select USB 1 (not the stereo 1+2) as the track’s record input. This will record only the L half of the Helix stereo output, namely Path 2.

Gonna need a little more detail than that for specifics, but the standard way of getting a real amp into an AI to record into a DAW is either:

The Amp has a Line Out, which would go into a return. If so, you won't be getting the benefit of the power amp or the speaker. Does the Line Out have a speaker sim? If you don't like it, can it be disabled? This is an awful way to do what you want.

Use a Reactive Load Box. Take the Line Out from the RL Box to a Return. This gets you the Power amp, but a GOOD RL Box is not cheap, and you still need a speaker sim.

MIC the Amp (old school). Unfortunately, the LT does not have a MIC Input, and while there are workarounds, that adds more expense. Plus the MIC will pick up ambient noise, and depending on the amp, the neighbors will probably call the cops.

OR you could just use the Helix the way it was designed to be used. If you haven't tried it yest, you'll be surprised how good it sounds in a mix. However, LEARNING CURVE!

• Upvote 1

Just a heads up addition to silverhead's post. The output from your amp to the LT has to be a Line Out as I mentioned. If you use the amp's Speaker out there's a good chance that all the magic smoke will escape from your Helix.