Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Floor for 1700, or 3 Stomps for 1800

bypassvalve

Stomp sounds amazing, I can't get over how good it feels to play and how good the cabs and effects sound. 3 stomps is 9 switches, and 6 more switches makes 15 switches, or 9 switches and SIX expression pedals. At like half the size of a floor. One for pedal FX, one for amps, one for post FX. And you could run them all off of ripcords and power banks. Why would you get a floor? With 3.0 getting command center on stomp, midi control of external gear is a done deal, there's lots of ways you could configure 3 stomps to work together the way you want, running one on the loop of another, with one running 4cm at the same time. Size-wise you're still looking at like just the top half of a Helix, broken down you can still throw all three in your pocket. 

Why get a Floor?

Since you're concerned with size, we'll ignore 6 mono 2 stereo fx loops vs 4 and 2 on the Floor. You won't be needing all those loops for external pedals.

You obviously don't need the L6 Link, Variax, MIC and XLR Outs.

You will have to buy at least two Physical Exp pedals to match the Floor, and since you max out at 3, you're even up there.

You'll also have to add the expense of those batteries. Oh, yeah, don't forget the pedal board, and something to carry it in.

You'll have 3 Snapshots per Stomp which, with Command Center, would allow you some interesting possibilities via MIDI. Not sure the number of possible iterations, my math's not that good. I know it's more than I'd ever be able to keep track of.

You'd have a near endless number of effects combinations too. Kind of like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/playing-through-the-worlds-largest-pedalboard/

Then there's the problem of latency. If each Stomp adds 3ms of latency, you're already at 9ms, close to the 10-12ms that typically starts to bother people, and definitely enough to affect "feel". Add a wireless (3ms) and some IEMs - maybe you don't need those now but.......

I guess it all boils down to what do you REALLY need, now and down the road, and, are you REALLY saving money OR space?

I know I won't be trading my Floor for 3 stomps.

Good point on the latency, that's a lot of unnecessary conversion and IO, where the floor can do it all in one shot. Mic input can be pretty handy too. Plus individual configurable scribble strips for all 12 switches. Big is necessary to get it all in one chassis I guess. 

You could buy one really absurd Mercedes, or 3 Honda Civics... either way you'll still get to work (of course that assumes that there are any jobs left after the world is done ending, but I digress ;) ). But do you want really want to spend all your time maintaining 3 sets of tires, wiper blades, and brake pads, doing 3 oil changes, getting 3 annual inspections, and paying the state for the privilege of registering 3 vehicles, etc etc etc?

Willful redundancy is not time well spent...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Everyone is different but for me size isn't the key factor in live performance as much as number of possible failure points.  That's what would bother me in doing 3 stomps.  I'm sure  you could find a workaround if one failed, but who wants to spend their break time or setup time messing around with trying to rig up a workaround?  It's much easier and faster just to swap in a backup setup.