Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How's a Helix going to hold up to someone spilling a drink on it?

Lone_Poor_Boy

Just curious as it'll be right up front and that's usually where the drunks get to before I hold them back.  I could see a whole drink getting dumped on this expensive piece of gear so I'm curious how it will hold up and if there are good protective covers that don't limit functionality?

Hmmm. My general feeling is that liquids and electronics are universally bad, especially ones that contain amounts of sugar like beer and mixed drinks. I don't know if the boards in Helix are conformal coated, but even if they are, that kind of stuff getting into pots, knobs, and jacks is always bad news, no matter the device.

I don't know of any covers but I'm sure something must exist. How about a laser-activated stage guillotine right at the front? Once a hand or beer breaks the beam, THWACK!!! ;)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, qwerty42 said:

Hmmm. My general feeling is that liquids and electronics are universally bad, especially ones that contain amounts of sugar like beer and mixed drinks. I don't know if the boards in Helix are conformal coated, but even if they are, that kind of stuff getting into pots, knobs, and jacks is always bad news, no matter the device.

I don't know of any covers but I'm sure something must exist. How about a laser-activated stage guillotine right at the front? Once a hand or beer breaks the beam, THWACK!!! ;)

I like it! 

Electrified chicken wire might work, too. Unless you're into mosh pit diving...... 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lone_Poor_Boy said:

Just curious as it'll be right up front and that's usually where the drunks get to before I hold them back.  I could see a whole drink getting dumped on this expensive piece of gear so I'm curious how it will hold up and if there are good protective covers that doesn't limit functionality?

Not to mention blood, vomit and "other" bodily fluids.

Bars are SO much fun!

• Haha 1

I don't recall the name, and it was pricey, but someone produced a plexi-glass laser-cut cover for the helix that was designed to eliminate this very problem.  Perhaps searching the archives or google can shed additional light on this product.

If you're playing in a vomit, blood, beer kind of bar in Colorado that's ignoring social distancing ... build a shield using a wood frame, covered with 3 ml plastic sheeting. Cheaper than plexiglass. I'd make it head height and cower behind it.

In my old PODxt live days, whenever I had a risky gig, I would put the unit behind the stage and I used a Behringer FCB1010 to control it. Needless to say both units were always wrapped in thick transparent plastic with cutouts for the jacks. Though I'm not playing gigs with a high "beer flying through the air" factor anymore, I would go the same route with my Helix for sure.