Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L6 Link Cable

pauliezx

I finally managed to get an HD 500 used, for a good price, to go along with a nearly new DT50 I bought a while back,

so now I'm looking at the instruction book which is recommending using L6 link.

Is the L6 link cable supposed to come with the HD500 as standard or do you have to buy it separately?

If so, where is the best place to get one - or is there a better way to connect these two up?

Thanks guys

The L6 Link sold by Line 6 is a re-branded DMX cable. The HD500 doesn't come with it. So any DMX cable you get will work. Like any cable, quality varies greatly depending on how its constructed. I personally like the cables with Neutrik ends as they tend to be a bit more durable.

You can also use a regular mic cable. Just going from your HD500 to DT50, you'll probably be OK. Over longer runs, you could run into some noise issues, though. Even though the pin configurations are the same for a DMX and mic cable, the cable construction is different and they have different impedance ratings.

Just make sure you get an AES/EBU digital XLR if you go over 18' - 20' in length.

Yep... I said DMX, but essentially DMX and AES/EBU are using the same spec for cables, I believe. They're both 110 ohm, I know. And actually, I think a lot of manufacturers dual label their cables DMX & AES/EBU.

Sorry Phil, wasn't trying to correct anything you said, I'm just more familiar with the AES/EBU spec.  I use them for all of my audio interconnects, digital or analog, no matter the length.  

For my L6 Link cable, I got a 25' AES/EBU cable from LA Pro Audio... nice cables, great price, and fast service.   

• 4 weeks later...