Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Behringer XR18 and Helix Native

Hillman1312

Hello,

I'm considering to buy a Behringer XR18 mixer for the purpose of ... well mixing of course. Mainly for my band as we're considering to move to IEM, but when at home it would be nice if I could also use the XR as an audio interface with reasonable latency so I can use Helix native and keep my LT in it's case. 

Anyone tried this? What was the latency you could get? I'm not expecting super low values, but somewhere between 4 and 8 ms would be nice and will work for me. Can the XR deliver that ? 

(I'll be using a Mac should that play any role) 

Thanks !!

As long as you're using the XR18 for input and output you should be fine with the Mac. I haven't tried it in a long time or with Native specifically, but I had no problem having usable latency for jamming at home with mine through various amp sims. I don't remember ever measuring it, but it wasn't enough to be a bother or really notice even. 

I use a X18 (not rack) for home and stage.

My use-case is different variax>>Helix>>X18>> DAW

So I have to get the Helix out of the back pack and monitor direct from the X18, but I've had the DAW monitoring by accident and the latency was minor.

Thanks good to know! @gunpointmetal Is it correct that you can plug the guitar straight into the mixer? This is what I currently do with my (very) old Focusrite USB soundcard and it works good enough. Latency in Ableton running Helix Native as a plugin is about 8 ms; not bad for a USB 1.1 soundcard running on a Mac of 2009. But, time to upgrade as my old Mac is ready for retirement :-) and the newer Macs (or better newer OSX) no longer support this soundcard.

BTW, it is not my intention to use Native live, just for home practice and maybe some basic recording.  

11 minutes ago, Hillman1312 said:

Thanks good to know! @gunpointmetal Is it correct that you can plug the guitar straight into the mixer? This is what I currently do with my (very) old Focusrite USB soundcard and it works good enough. Latency in Ableton running Helix Native as a plugin is about 8 ms; not bad for a USB 1.1 soundcard running on a Mac of 2009. But, time to upgrade as my old Mac is ready for retirement :-) and the newer Macs (or better newer OSX) no longer support this soundcard.

BTW, it is not my intention to use Native live, just for home practice and maybe some basic recording.  

Yep, the 1/4" input on channels 1 and 2 are made for guitars.