Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

RE POD HD PRO X

clivea

I have recently bought a Pod HDS Pro x and have a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I'm using the Edit. When I choose 'New Tone' to start making a new preset, all is nice and quiet. BUT, as soon as I insert an amp, I get tremendeous Strat noise and 'hissing through my PA or monitors.

Hope someone can help.

Does the hissing noise appear as soon as you select an amp model with the guitar disconnected?

If not, it means that your guitar (especially if it is single coil PU equipped) is acting as an antenna. What happens when connecting instead a humbucker equipped guitar?
Did you try using a noise gate?

Having the POD connected at the same time to the computer and to the amplification system could give easily noise problems, if you are using a laptop it could be a good idea to disconnect it from the mains and use it only on batteries in order to neutralize/break a ground loop which may accour.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Hi, thanks for the response.

The noise is there whether I have the guitar connected or not.

I only have two guitars both with a DiMarzio FS1 bridge pick up.

I have taken your advice and now run my laptop on battery power only - but still have trhe noise.

I'm pulling my hair out!

If your device is making noise also: without any instrument connected and without being connected to the computer and in different places, I suspect that it needs to be repaired.

Another thing that came to mind which who knows could be worth checking is if the mic phantom power is enabled.

Time ago I heard that some Helix owners had a bad noise problem with their units, and at the end they found that the culprit was the phantom power which was enabled.

I don't know if it could be the same issue with the POD HD PRO X.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Check that the mic trim is all the way down. If the mic is selected as the second input and the trim is turned up half or more things can get very noisy. Not sure that that's the issue or not...

If you are just using a guitar for a single tone patch, you can also try setting second input to Variax if it is set to mic...

4 minutes ago, clivea said:

Hi guys,

Re Phantom Power -  Is this found within the software?

Re Mic trim - Could you pls tell me how I can check this. All the buttons are out on the hardware.

Clive

Nothing to do with the software.

You should find both physical controls on the front panel of the unit.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

8 minutes ago, clivea said:

So both of these are controlled by the mic section on the far right of the unit?

Yes, but on the far left of the unit.

However if the phantom power is turned off and the mic knob is all the way down, it means that your problem depends on something else.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

1 hour ago, clivea said:

Thanks.

I would point out that just with the pod on and nothing connected to it, it's absolutely silent with the headphones.

If so, much probably you have a ground loop problem, which happens when you connect other devices to the POD, like your monitor, computer and/or external amp.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Try connecting to your PA or monitors through the POD XLR outputs and set the Balanced Output ground (gnd) switch on the rear panel to LIFT.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips