Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to Use the Mission SP1-L6H Toe Switch with Line6 Helix and HX

pbatts

How to Use the Mission SP1-L6H Toe Switch with Line6 Helix and HX

Introduction

Mission Engineering manufactures two expression pedals designed specifically for use with the Helix product line.

The EP1-L6 is an expression only pedal and does not have a toe switch. It has one (TS) jack for Exp output. This pedal is designed to work with Helix Floor, LT, HX Stomp and HX Effects.

The SP1-L6H is an expression pedal that includes a toe switch. This pedal is designed to work with Helix Rack only and has two separate output jacks. One (TS) jack for Exp output and one (TS) jack for the toe switch output. The toe switch is a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) momentary contact (commonly referred to as "non-latching") switch. This pedal is designed for exclusive use with Helix Rack. For HX Stomp - If the desire is to simply use the SP1-L6H toe switch as an external foot switch 4 or 5, no modifications to the SP1-L6H are required. It will perform that function right out of the box.

There is no provision in Helix Floor, LT or HX Effects to use an external expression pedal toe switch as an additional controller or foot switch but with a mod we can utilize this functionality.

Both pedals incorporate a 10K ohm pot for the expression output and both are built in the exact same enclosure/housing. The additional holes in the EP1-L6 have plugs installed in them.

Purpose

To modify either the EP1-L6 or the SP1-L6H so as to be able to utilize the toe switch output as an expression input to the Helix Floor, HX Stomp or HX Effects.

Use Case

The idea of utilizing the toe switch came up when a user wanted to use the SP1-L6H as a traditional Wah pedal. Meaning the toe switch would simply toggle the Wah block in their Preset ON or OFF.

With a little imagination there could be many more use cases. For example, the toe switch could toggle on a Delay block and then use the expression to control the Delay's Feedback parameter.

Or the toe switch could be used to set any parameter on any block, completely independent of what the expression output is controlling.

The Modifications

This mod is easily performed on the EP1-L6 pedal also as the housings are the same. The holes are already drilled and have plugs in them.

Notes on modifying the EP1-L6 (non-toe switch pedal) - As mentioned above, both pedals are built in the same enclosure. These modifications will require the addition of a (TS) output jack (along with the additional components listed below) if you are adding this feature to the EP1-L6 pedal. Also, you may need to add a felt or other pad under the treadle to engage the toe switch.

For HX Stomp Only - If the desire is to simply use the SP1-L6H toe switch as an external foot switch 4 or 5, no modifications to the SP1-L6H are required. It will perform that function right out of the box.

Parts Needed

1 -- Replacement Toe Switch as described below. The stock toe switch for a Crybaby Wah is a perfect replacement.

1 -- 100 ohm resistor. 1/4 watt is fine. The 100 ohm value is a suggestion. You can use whatever low value you have on hand. The Exp Input just needs to see something when the switch is off, or Helix will default back to the onboard Exp Pedal. Whatever value you end up with, you will need to adjust the "Bypass Assign" "Position" parameter to match that resistance value for the parameter being controlled to enable. For a 100 ohm resistor this will be about 25%.

1 -- 10K ohm resistor. 1/4 watt is fine.

* The 10K resistor could be a pot or trim pot if a variable output is desired. This could be used for more granular control of the toe switch's expression input to the Helix/HX.

* For the purpose of this article, the above resistor values will be used.

For the SP1-L6H

1. Replace the stock toe switch with a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) maintained contact switch. Commonly referred to as "latching". The stock toe switch for a Crybaby Wah is a perfect replacement.

2. Solder one end of the 100 ohm resistor to the N.O. terminal of the new toe switch.

3. Solder one end of the 10K ohm resistor to the N.C. terminal of the new toe switch.

Note for Step 2 and 3 above: Since this is a Push-Push switch, the references above to N.O. and N.C. are not applicable, the point of using those designations was to indicate connections to the switched side of the switch and not to use the common side of the switch.

4. Solder the two (both) loose ends of the resistors to the Red (Tip) wire going to the output jack being used for the toe switch.

5. Solder the C (common) terminal of the new toe switch to the Black (Sleeve) wire going to the output jack being used for the toe switch.

Note that the SP1-L6H used here, the one in the photo, was manufactured in 2016 and the output jacks are individual components. Later models have the output jacks mounted to a printed circuit board and has a ribbon cable. You may have to use an ohm meter or continuity tester to ID the tip and sleeve wires of the output jacks.

DONE

Setup

For this example we will use the expression pedal with it's new toe switch functionality as a traditional Wah pedal. Pressing the toe switch once will turn the Wah block ON. Pressing the toe switch again will turn the Wah block OFF.

For Helix and HX Effects

1. Select the Wah Block in your Preset.

2. Select Main Menu

3. Select "Bypass Assign"

4. Set "Switch" to whichever Exp Input you are using for the Toe Switch.

5. Set "Position" to 25%.

6. SAVE SAVE

7. Select Main Menu

8. Select "Controller Assign"

9. Set "Parameter" to "Position".

10. Set "Controller" to the exp input you want to use for the Wah function.

11. SAVE SAVE

DONE

For HX Stomp

1. Select the Wah Block in your Preset.

1. Select Main Menu

2. Select "Bypass Assign"

3. Set "Switch" to the expression input you want to use for the toe switch input.

4. Set the Position parameter to 25%.

5. SAVE SAVE

6. Select Main Menu

7. Select "Controller Assign"

8. Set "Param" to "Psition".

9. Set "Controller" to the expression input you want to use for the Wah function.

10. SAVE SAVE

DONE

Go play guitar.

Mission SP1-L6H-Helix Floor Mod.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

I ordered a Dunlop ECB035 and there are no pinout diagrams or markings that I can see.   It is a DPDT switch but in looking at the picture above I wonder if I was supposed to order a SPDT?  Can someone help me with a wiring diagram?  I very much so want to use the toe switch on my SP1-L6H as a bypass on my Helix floor.  Thanks in advance!

8 hours ago, hdtv4me said:

I ordered a Dunlop ECB035 and there are no pinout diagrams or markings that I can see.   It is a DPDT switch but in looking at the picture above I wonder if I was supposed to order a SPDT?  Can someone help me with a wiring diagram?  I very much so want to use the toe switch on my SP1-L6H as a bypass on my Helix floor.  Thanks in advance!

The DPDT switch you have is fine. You will only need to use one side. The C common, the NC normally closed and NO normally open terminals will be identified on the switch.

• Like 1

This mod has my curiosity. 

I bought the version that works with the floor model when I had to replace my Helix LT due to it's standard expression pedal breaking. 

The  SP1-L6H serves just as volume pedal due to lack of toe switch. 

One goal would be to set up the external control to control volume with switch disengaged an then wah while engaged.  And set up the built in expression pedal for say a whammy pedal.

On 1/6/2021 at 4:28 PM, hdtv4me said:

Thanks very much!   I swear to god there are no markings on this thing!   I'm looking at it with a magnifying glass app.   Geesh.   I can't even find a datasheet or something indicating the pinout.  

Typically the center terminal is C and the two outside terminals are NO and NC. You can check it with an ohmmeter or continuity tester. You are just using one half of the switch.

On 1/8/2021 at 3:19 PM, CurveBound said:

One goal would be to set up the external control to control volume with switch disengaged an then wah while engaged.  And set up the built in expression pedal for say a whammy pedal.

Yes, this is easily done. You can use Exp 2 and 3 for the Mission pedal and have Exp 1 for whatever you want.

• 4 weeks later...

Well now I've done it.  I bought a Helix Rack so now I need to wire the Mission back up as it was from the factory.  Minor problem.  I think I tossed the original toe switch and didn't take a picture of the wiring.   Can someone please remind me what toe switch was in this thing and how to solder it back up (connection points)? 

8 hours ago, hdtv4me said:

Well now I've done it.  I bought a Helix Rack so now I need to wire the Mission back up as it was from the factory.  Minor problem.  I think I tossed the original toe switch and didn't take a picture of the wiring.   Can someone please remind me what toe switch was in this thing and how to solder it back up (connection points)? 

I can't find any before pics but the toe switch is a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) momentary contact (commonly referred to as "non-latching") switch wired to the one (TS) jack for the toe switch output.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, ledvedder5150 said:

Is anyone successfully using this with an HX Effects? I'm trying to decide if I should get the SP1, or just get the non-switching version to control the HX Effects wah function. 

They are the exact same pedal. One has the switch, the other doesn't. The one with the switch has two jacks, one for exp and one for the switch.

Get the one with the switch. If you find you can use it (now or later) great, if you can't, no loss. Last I looked (not lately) they were the same price.

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2021 at 1:39 PM, pbatts said:

They are the exact same pedal. One has the switch, the other doesn't. The one with the switch has two jacks, one for exp and one for the switch.

Get the one with the switch. If you find you can use it (now or later) great, if you can't, no loss. Last I looked (not lately) they were the same price.

There is a $10 difference right now, at least on Sweetwater, but your same logic still applies and that seems a small extra price to pay for the flexibility and future-proofing.

9 hours ago, ledvedder5150 said:

I'm wondering as well how it would connect to the hx effects, if there is toe switch functionality in the future. I'm already using one of the ext jacks to channel switch my amp. 

I'm not an HX Effects user, but the same principles still apply.

From the HX Effects manual:

Two expression pedals can be connected to the HX Effects device and assigned to adjust a wide variety of parameters.

The modified exp pedal can be used to control either of those, just as in all of the examples above.

I would not expect to see any specific "toe switch functionality" added to HX Effects or any other unit that does not already have that functionality. Even it it was, the modified toe switch, with the added resistors, would likely not work. BUT, IF that functionality was added, the unmodified pedal would work just as it does with the Helix Rack.

The modified toe switch mimics an expression pedal in a cocked, fixed position. That position being determined/represented by the value of the fixed resistors that are installed with the mod.

18 hours ago, joeschmo said:

I'm interested how this works for the LT as it only seems to have one input for expression pedal 2. How do I connect the two outputs on the Mission pedal to the one input on the LT?

I'm not an Helix LT user but here goes.

From the Manual:

EXP PEDAL 2/EXT AMP An additional expression pedal can be connected to Helix LT and assigned to adjust a wide variety of parameters. See "Quick Controller Assign" Alternatively, this jack can be connected to your traditional guitar amp to switch its channels or turn its reverb on and off. Use a TRS cable for dual operation (1=tip, 2=ring). To set this jack's function, see "Global Settings > Preferences"

It only has one jack, but that one jack has a dual function. You could use a TRS to two TS 'Y' adapter and use the Expression input on one and the switch input on the other.

In that scenario, you would not need to modify the Line 6/Mission Exp pedal and can use it right out of the box.

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to use 2 additional Mission SP1-L6H pedals with Helix Floor, assigning them to turn on the effect and adjust the parameter in this effect, or for example, to adjust the parameters inside the effect?

• 1 year later...
On 4/27/2021 at 7:56 AM, pbatts said:

I'm not an Helix LT user but here goes.

From the Manual:

EXP PEDAL 2/EXT AMP An additional expression pedal can be connected to Helix LT and assigned to adjust a wide variety of parameters. See "Quick Controller Assign" Alternatively, this jack can be connected to your traditional guitar amp to switch its channels or turn its reverb on and off. Use a TRS cable for dual operation (1=tip, 2=ring). To set this jack's function, see "Global Settings > Preferences"

It only has one jack, but that one jack has a dual function. You could use a TRS to two TS 'Y' adapter and use the Expression input on one and the switch input on the other.

In that scenario, you would not need to modify the Line 6/Mission Exp pedal and can use it right out of the box.

This is unfortunately incorrect. The dual function is only available for output to switch a guitar amp's channels for example. The same doesn't work for input. As a matter of fact, there's not even an option for an EXP2 pedal 2 toe in the Helix LT (or HX edit).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, B-Grudzinski here. I performed this mod on my SP1-L6H

(exp pedal for the Helix Rack) to be compatible with the Helix Floor. 

I posted it on my YouTube Channel (The Pedal-Head Show) 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cNn_BSmUkAQ

While doing the mod I ran into a few instructions that left me confused. 

1. Understanding which wire was which coming from the quick plug that connects to the blue board connecting both outputs. 

2. Using a DPDT Dunlop Wah Switch which side is normally open and normally closed? 

Thanks everyone! 

I can use the exp pedal just fine the way I wired it in the mod by sure luck! 

If someone could help clarify on those two topics that would be great! 

B.Grudz 

On 10/5/2022 at 8:38 AM, bradfordlumley said:

This is unfortunately incorrect. The dual function is only available for output to switch a guitar amp's channels for example. The same doesn't work for input. As a matter of fact, there's not even an option for an EXP2 pedal 2 toe in the Helix LT (or HX edit).

Thanks for clarifying.

On 11/12/2022 at 11:38 PM, Bgrudz2021 said:

Hey everyone, B-Grudzinski here. I performed this mod on my SP1-L6H

(exp pedal for the Helix Rack) to be compatible with the Helix Floor. 

I posted it on my YouTube Channel (The Pedal-Head Show) 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cNn_BSmUkAQ

While doing the mod I ran into a few instructions that left me confused. 

1. Understanding which wire was which coming from the quick plug that connects to the blue board connecting both outputs. 

2. Using a DPDT Dunlop Wah Switch which side is normally open and normally closed? 

Thanks everyone! 

I can use the exp pedal just fine the way I wired it in the mod by sure luck! 

If someone could help clarify on those two topics that would be great! 

B.Grudz 

Sorry for any confusion.

I have edited the article to clarify the points you raise as well as the misinformation about the Helix LT, mentioned by @bradfordlumley

I also made a couple of other edits to make a few steps clearer.

To clarify your two points of confusion:

My SP1-L6H pedal was manufactured in 2016 and the output jacks are individual components. For your model with the output jacks mounted to a printed circuit board with the ribbon cable, you may have to use an ohm meter or continuity tester to ID the tip and sleeve wires of the output jacks. I have added verbiage to indicate Tip and Sleeve.

Since this is a Push-Push switch, the references above to N.O. and N.C. are not applicable, the point of using those designations was to indicate connections to the switched side of the switch and not to use the common side of the switch.

I hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

I have the Mission Pedal SP1-L6H hooked up to the HX Stomp XL. I can't get the pedal to switch the Wah block on. It controls the Volume block by default. Do I have to change out my switch?

The Mission Engineering web page says the toe switch will work:

The SP1-L6H can be connected to inputs on Line 6 devices that support an expression pedal and toe switch.

The linear potentiometer is matched exactly to the specifications of the Line 6 Helix for a precise and natural response. The pedal has a toe switch to turn effects on and off without requiring a separate footswitch.

Supported Line 6 devices:

Helix Rack
Helix Rack Controller
HX Stomp
HX Stomp XL
DL4 MK2

On 12/23/2022 at 11:22 AM, riveter said:

I have the Mission Pedal SP1-L6H hooked up to the HX Stomp XL. I can't get the pedal to switch the Wah block on. It controls the Volume block by default. Do I have to change out my switch?

The Mission Engineering web page says the toe switch will work:

The SP1-L6H can be connected to inputs on Line 6 devices that support an expression pedal and toe switch.

The linear potentiometer is matched exactly to the specifications of the Line 6 Helix for a precise and natural response. The pedal has a toe switch to turn effects on and off without requiring a separate footswitch.

Supported Line 6 devices:

Helix Rack
Helix Rack Controller
HX Stomp
HX Stomp XL
DL4 MK2

From the manual:

12. EXP 1/2, FS 7/8 Connect an expression pedal here to adjust a wide vari-
ety of parameters.* With a Y-cable (tip-ring-sleeve 1/4" jack, split to two tip-sleeve
1/4" jacks), two expression pedals can be connected. Alternatively, you can add
one (or with a Y-cable, two) external footswitches to access additional stomps,
presets, snapshots, etc. (FS7=tip, FS8=ring). To set this jack’s function(s), see
page 57. By default, this jack is set to accommodate a Mission SP1-L6H Line 6
Expression Pedal, which has a toe switch that toggles between EXP 1 (Wah/Pitch
or Poly Wham) and EXP 2 (Volume/Pan). For external footswitches, the momentary
(unlatched) type should be used.

*NOTE: It is recommended to connect to this EXP1/2, FS 7/8 input while the device is
powered off to avoid toggling the current FS 7/8 setting.

• 6 months later...
On 7/8/2023 at 3:59 PM, Mark_Brooker said:

Slight problem, done the mod, it worked, but doesn't know, it just momentarily switches.
Any idea guys?

Thanks.

The switch needs to me a "maintained contact" (latching) type switch, rather than a "momentary contact" switch. Is that what you have?

On 7/9/2023 at 12:46 PM, pbatts said:

The switch needs to me a "maintained contact" (latching) type switch, rather than a "momentary contact" switch. Is that what you have?

I have a Double Pole Double Throw that I'm using one side of. A Dunlop one.

On 7/9/2023 at 12:27 PM, Mark_Brooker said:

I have a Double Pole Double Throw that I'm using one side of. A Dunlop one.

Does the switch stay "ON" when you push and release it? Have you tested it with an ohm meter or continuity tester?