Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix/HX 2.92, HX Edit 2.92, and Helix Native 1.92

Digital_Igloo

2 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

Helix/HX 2.92, HX Edit 2.92, and Helix Native 1.92

@Digital_Igloo do you know whether or not if this is the final update for the 2.90 area or if the next update will be 3.0? If you can't divulge that info that's ok.

I have a brand new Helix.  Before ever playing a note, I tried to update the firmware to 2.92.  Update failed, and now the unit will not boot up.  It just gives error statement "Boot Failure.  Entered Update Mode!" and it is stuck there.  I don't know what to do.  I've tried everything I could find online, like pressing F9-F10 when it boots, but nothing.  Helix Edit no longer recognizes Helix as connected to computer.  Can anybody help?  I guess I'm too new to this stuff.

On my Windows 10 machine Helix Edit 2.92 won`t start.

Reinstalling of Helix Edit 2.90 works perfect.

I have tried many times: deinstalling all line 6 stuff including drivers, rebooting and clean install of the 2.92 application - nothing works.

This is the first time in nearly 5 years of owning the Helix Floor - and i have done every update without a problem.

Now i am back to 2.90 - anyone else ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I tried the update a few times, and it hung at 1% on IR's.  Whole program locked up - had to force quit.  I removed all of my IR's and the update worked.  Only IRs I use are the OwnHammer 412 FMAN.  I can readd them, but it's kind of a drag.  Just posting in case someone else sees this.

5 hours ago, randykautz said:

I have a brand new Helix.  Before ever playing a note, I tried to update the firmware to 2.92.  Update failed, and now the unit will not boot up.  It just gives error statement "Boot Failure.  Entered Update Mode!" and it is stuck there.  I don't know what to do.  I've tried everything I could find online, like pressing F9-F10 when it boots, but nothing.  Helix Edit no longer recognizes Helix as connected to computer.  Can anybody help?  I guess I'm too new to this stuff.

Exactly the same thing happened to me updating my brand new Helix to 2.80.

Change USB port.

Preferably one on the back of your computer.

What strange that it was working on the first USB port and started updating, but died during update.... I had to change USB ports for the Helix to be recognized again.

I was having similar issues with the 2.91 update.  Try using the separate Helix Updater that's downloaded with HX Edit 2.92, while holding F6/F10.  It seems that update mode doesn't recognize HX Edit's "update available" internal updater.  Also check to make sure you have no malfunctioning drivers listed under "Helix" in your devices panel. 

I had to use an older Version and driver of the HXEdit (2.80) to update my HX Stomp with 2.70 or something to the latest 2.8 before I could go to 2.9. When on Windows, remove your device, remove all HX Software and Driver, reboot. Install 2.80, update, remove and reboot. Than try the latest.

21 hours ago, hiauntie said:

On my Windows 10 machine Helix Edit 2.92 won`t start.

Reinstalling of Helix Edit 2.90 works perfect.

I have tried many times: deinstalling all line 6 stuff including drivers, rebooting and clean install of the 2.92 application - nothing works.

This is the first time in nearly 5 years of owning the Helix Floor - and i have done every update without a problem.

Now i am back to 2.90 - anyone else ?

Same thing for me on Windows 10 pro. Version 2.92 of Helix Edit wont start, but i reinstalled version 2.90 and is working fine.

I can finally use HX Edit and HX Native.  It hasn't worked on my computer since 1.7x.  Support told me they might have figured it out in this release and YES!!!!!  I'm back in business on my main computer.

The past two updates, it hangs at "Beginning Firmware Download"  I have to try 5-6 times to get it to download the firmware.  when I watch my network meter, HX Edit never tries to contact the server and no firmware flows.   for 2.91, after 6th time, it just went strait through and downloaded in a few seconds.

It's not my system or network, I've confirmed that each time - I think it's something odd with HX Edit.

beyond that, the upgrades once they download have no issues.

2 hours ago, kringle said:

The past two updates, it hangs at "Beginning Firmware Download"  I have to try 5-6 times to get it to download the firmware.  when I watch my network meter, HX Edit never tries to contact the server and no firmware flows.   for 2.91, after 6th time, it just went strait through and downloaded in a few seconds.

It's not my system or network, I've confirmed that each time - I think it's something odd with HX Edit.

beyond that, the upgrades once they download have no issues.

Do an offline update.

1 hour ago, SaschaFranck said:

Do an offline update.

Alright, I give up though on trying to figure it how I would do an offline update.  I downloaded the new firmware but can't find any way to do it through HX Edit or Line 6 Updater.  Can someone share the trick to do an offline update?

Update: I figured  out how to get the offline update to work: The Line 6 Updater won't work if HX Edit is running.   What's happening is that since HX Edit isn't able to do Helix updates, the only way out was to cancel the update process. but when you do, it appears the HX Edit app is closed, but it's not - it's stills running as a services.  You need to kill HX Edit through task manager (on windows system).  Then run Line 6 Updater and it will see the Helix.  For some reason, HX Edit blocks Line 6 Updater from seeing there is a Helix attached. 

I tried 6 more times with this latest 2.92 update through HX Edit but it was never able to download the firmware.  when I was able to get Helix visible through Line 6 Update, it instantly downloaded the firmware and did the install.  So clearly it's an issue with HX Edit not reliably downloading the firmware.

• Thanks 1

Need Help. updating to 2.92 from 2.91. Updated HX Edit to 2.92 just fine. I create a full backup and that is normal. Then start the firmware update of my Helix LT. It gets to maybe 60% and fails. The screen on my Helix says " Update failed, please reboot and try again". So I close HX Edit and turn my Helix off and back on again. Now the screen says "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode"... I start up HX Edit and it says Connection Interrupted..... Now what ??

13 hours ago, kringle said:

So clearly it's an issue with HX Edit not reliably downloading the firmware.

This seems to happen quite frequently. I've been lucky so far but plenty of folks only seemed to be able to update offline.

Fwiw, nice finding on HX Edit still running in the background once you cancel the update (not relevant for myelf as I'm on macOS, but some people seem to be running into similar issues as you).

8 hours ago, MuziqmanDave said:

Need Help. updating to 2.92 from 2.91. Updated HX Edit to 2.92 just fine. I create a full backup and that is normal. Then start the firmware update of my Helix LT. It gets to maybe 60% and fails. The screen on my Helix says " Update failed, please reboot and try again". So I close HX Edit and turn my Helix off and back on again. Now the screen says "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode"... I start up HX Edit and it says Connection Interrupted..... Now what ??

Try using the Helix updater to do it offline. That seems to be what people have done in your situation. You are supposed to update it through HX Edit but others have had your experience as well.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MuziqmanDave said:

Now the screen says "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode"... I start up HX Edit and it says Connection Interrupted..... Now what ??

Try a restart (power up) of your LT while holding down foot switches 6 & 12. This should put  you into "Safe Boot Mode". From here you should get to a stage where you can re-install the Firmware.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 5/19/2020 at 2:30 PM, Nylander88 said:

@Digital_Igloo do you know whether or not if this is the final update for the 2.90 area or if the next update will be 3.0? If you can't divulge that info that's ok.

We have no idea. It always depends on the number and severity of bugs that are found. So if everyone agrees that 2.92 is perfect, yes, we'll get 3.0 out sooner. :)

10 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

We have no idea. It always depends on the number and severity of bugs that are found. So if everyone agrees that 2.92 is perfect, yes, we'll get 3.0 out sooner. :)

Cool! One more question not that I need it, but as far as I can tell the HX Stomp has one dsp chip, the Helix has two, since you can have more than 8 block spaces in one dsp path on the helix, some day the stomp will have the ability to have the same amount of block spaces. Am I right? (I say "block spaces" since you can max out the dsp and a certain number of effects isn't set in stone since each effect/amp/etc is different in dsp usage)

18 hours ago, Nylander88 said:

Cool! One more question not that I need it, but as far as I can tell the HX Stomp has one dsp chip, the Helix has two, since you can have more than 8 block spaces in one dsp path on the helix, some day the stomp will have the ability to have the same amount of block spaces. Am I right? (I say "block spaces" since you can max out the dsp and a certain number of effects isn't set in stone since each effect/amp/etc is different in dsp usage)

Helix can theoretically run up to 16 blocks per DSP, so 32 total, but you're never going to fill them all unless you really like Volume Pedals, Gain blocks, and EQs.

HX Stomp is a stompbox, not a mini-Helix, and it's designed specifically for use on pedalboards with other pedals. We always knew we'd probably have to extend the block count to 8 (which is coming in 3.0), but released it with 6 because we wanted it to be a stompbox for a while (and attract pedalboard and amp guitarists) before all the high end modeler guys started applying Helix Floor guidelines to it.

Plus, some of the new models that are coming up are extremely DSP-intensive, so some people won't be able to fill 6 blocks anyway, much less 8.

2.92 Stress Test Trip Report

My LT has been on for 36 hours on the same preset. Don't ask - I really like that preset.  No sign of the meters, tuner or interface starting to lag like they did in 2.90 and 2.91 - no factory reset necessary for me.

P.S.  Revv Purple is awesome, but then again Revv Red was already awesome.

16 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

HX Stomp is a stompbox, not a mini-Helix

I realize that, Some people do want it to be a mini helix (I'm not included, don''t have a need for that) The reason I bought the stomp was for the purpose of doingg recording for bass and guitar and to add it to my pedal board (which at the moment looks pretty sad)

Thank you for answering my questions!!

19 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

Plus, some of the new models that are coming up are extremely DSP-intensive, so some people won't be able to fill 6 blocks anyway, much less 8.

Even more of a reason to introduce global blocks...

On 5/19/2020 at 12:09 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

Helix/HX 2.92, HX Edit 2.92, and Helix Native 1.92 are now available. All bug fixes. As always, PLEASE READ THE RELEASE NOTES and if possible, link to this page: 

DI - Tell the Line 6 crew Yahoo & Far out!!  Thanks for this as the update went very smooth.  As a baseline I followed the instructions you gave.  The backup was quick and I started the firmware update at 3:07pm Pacific today and it completed with a full boot into my patches at 3:15pm Pacific today.  Now to play!

Just plain Dennis