Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv 59-69 Comparison (59 Is More Bassy)

hi, I've just compared a 59 and a 69. I've found 59 more bassy, especially with acoustic simulations. 

with 59 you can get a bass and loud percussive effect: if you beat the finger to low strings near the piezo, do the same thing on 69 produce a sound with less bass and more mids.

Maybe the wood and the bridges brings so many differences?

I've tested the only piezos, without strings: if you hit the piezo with the finger you have, again, a bassy sound on 59 and less bass on 69.

To do percussive jobs 59 seems better.

Can someone confirm me this impression?

thanks in advance

hi, I've just compared a 59 and a 69. I've found 59 more bassy, especially with acoustic simulations. 

with 59 you can get a bass and loud percussive effect: if you beat the finger to low strings near the piezo, do the same thing on 69 produce a sound with less bass and more mids.

Maybe the wood and the bridges brings so many differences?

I've tested the only piezos, without strings: if you hit the piezo with the finger you have, again, a bassy sound on 59 and less bass on 69.

To do percussive jobs 59 seems better.

Can someone confirm me this impression?

thanks in advance

I suppose it would depend on the finger... ;)

Seriously though, I don't think just tapping on the piezo is gonna tell you much of anything. String up the guitars with the same gauge strings, then play with the same model (from same firmware version), on the same amp settings, and see if one has more bottom end than the other.  Then you'll have your answer. But even then, there may be discrepancies between the output of the individual piezos...it's hard to definitively A/B anything with these guitars, or any two guitars for that matter. Even two 59s may sound different.

I have had a JTV59 since they were first launched and just this week I got my hands on a JTV69.  Just playing the JTV69 unplugged, I could tell it was tonally very different to the JTV59.  I have only had time to try it plugged in for a very short time but immediately I could tell the models did sound different - and that has to be down to the physical characteristics of the JTV69, the bolt-on neck, the tremolo, the wood (alder) etc.   Those nuances get picked up by those super sensitive piezo's and they come through in the final modelled tone - so the same model will sound different when played on a 59 and a 69.  And as stated above - even the same JTV types may sound different due to subtle differences in their construction.  Some people may not notice those differences but some will.

I know it can seem a strange fact, but I did A/B test for a day, also with a spectrum (both has the peak at about 85hz and a second peak at about 185hz, but 59 is about 5db louder than 69 from 20 to 40 hz.....

now, another strange fact, I've found a change when I've adjusted the screw height on the 69 saddles....

but isn't so strange to assume matarials near the saddle can change the resonance response 

I've found some subtel differences between 59 and 69 acoustic model (expecially model1), I mean same strings, same model, same settings....59 acoustics seems more bassy and crispy than 69 (more midrangey)

In simple words, refer to my goal, I prefer this 59 response to imitate a bass drum and loop it (but I prefer 69 because I want the volume pot near the strings)