Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Output Settings (lows, Highs And Focus)

talwilkins

I tried turning the lows from -50 to flat while connected to my Dt25 but I can't say I heard much happening.

The same happened with the highs. I could hear some difference when changing the focus but it was very little, much less than I would expect.

Has anybody ever fiddled with these setting?

What are your experiences.?

The eqs knobs behave differently on the different amp models, and often changing one eq knob can alter the others too as they can be interdependant.

Also, ensure your guitar is sending an appropriate signal. For instance, if you are using a bright bridge pickup, into a tubescreamer, there's probably not much bass in the signal by the time it gets to the amp, so the amps eq has little to work with. Sometimes too if you distort the hell out of the signal in the power amp stage then manipulating the eq controls (prior to the power amp) will have a greater effect on the distortien tone, rather than the perceived eq level. Finally, your ear will hear different eq effects at different volumes, so the overall loudness plays a part. Even the position of the amp in the room will have a noticable effect, pushingethe amp into a corner will often give plenty more bass.

What is 'focus'?

Ok, I think you misunderstood.

I'm talking about the Lows, Highs and Focus settings on the Output page in System Settings (where you can set the POD to Studio/direct, Combo Front etc.)

Those settings are only valid for the FRONT selections.  For a DT25, I think it defaults to COMBO POWER if you are connected via L6 LINK.

Those settings are intended if you are going into an instrument input on the front of an amp, which means you are going into the amp's pre-amp first and then to it's power amp, so the HD500 tone will be affected by the tone stack on the amp - and you can therefore adjust the tone coming from the HD500 to counter act that.  They are not relevant for a DT25 unless you are not using the L6 LINK and you are using the HD500 to go straight into the DT25 instrument input.

Yes those options are available in the "Front Combo" and "Stack Combo" and they work pretty good, try it sometime. Focus is for the mids. Lows and Highs are self explanatory. I have good results running the highs and lows flat going into the front of my spider jam for bedroom levels.

For the HD500

talwilkins, how are you connected to your amp?  Those settings won't have any effect if your connected via L6 Link.  

Where did you get the information that those settings don't work through L6-Link? 

I'm not saying you're wrong, in fact it seems to me you are correct. I'm just wondering where you found that info.

I find it a bit strange that the manual doesn't say anything toward that end. It does say the mode settings affects the signal going through L6-Link and since the other parameters are on the same page I assumed they would too.

I am connecting through L6-Link, by the way

Where did you get the information that those settings don't work through L6-Link? 

I'm not saying you're wrong, in fact it seems to me you are correct. I'm just wondering where you found that info.

I find it a bit strange that the manual doesn't say anything toward that end. It does say the mode settings affects the signal going through L6-Link and since the other parameters are on the same page I assumed they would too.

I am connecting through L6-Link, by the way

I may be wrong, but I'm assuming (you know what they say about assuming) that since the Combo/Stack Front configuration would almost exclusively be based on a 1/4" connection, that these settings would either not be noticeable, or would have very little effect using L6 Link, but should be very noticeable using the 1/4" outs.  

Like I said, I could be wrong.  I'll experiment with it today and see what happens on my unit.  

From Meambobbo's excellent guide:

P. Output Modes

For more on output modes, see the setup page.

There's a lot of confusion over output modes, but they're really not that tricky. Most only affect what the cab block does. If you select "no cab", most of the output modes don't do anything. The basic rule of thumb is to select the output mode for how you have the Pod hooked up. Stack is for full or 1/2 stacks (or closed-back 2x12's). Combo is for open back combos. Power amp is for running the Pod into a guitar power amp or a guitar amp's an effects loop return. Front is for an amp's guitar input. Studio/Direct is for direct to PA/mixing board, headphones, or DAW (when you're not using IR's to simulate a cab).

Output modes were designed so that you could dial in a patch using one output mode and hooked up to the appropriate real gear, then switch output modes for other gear and get the same tone. In reality, your tone will never be the same between different gear, despite changing output modes. Don't expect them to work this way, but they do offer slight compensations that may help get closer to that ballpark sooner.

You should use Studio/Direct if you want to use the cab/mic simulation provided in the Pod. This would be useful if you are recording directly to a DAW (and not using IR's in that DAW), running direct to the PA/mixing board, or are using headphones.

Other output modes use "live-voiced cabs". The mic model selected has no impact on the tone. The selected cab simply EQ's your tone mildly to slightly mimic the response of the cab, when run through a real guitar cab (or IR). This is no substitute for a mic'ed cab or IR. Without one of those, the tone will be very harsh.

The difference between stack and combo modes is that combo has a bass boost. Since combo amps generally have less bass, the idea was that the bass response would be consistent between gear. Again, it won't be magically the same between gear, but it can get you close.

The front output modes additionally include a crude global EQ designed to help neutralize any pre-amp coloration that will occur when plugging into the front input of an amp. A pre-amp does

more than change the frequency response, so don't expect this output mode to truly neutralize a pre-amp. It's almost always best to run the Pod output into the effects loop return of a real amp.

Note: These settings definitely work through L6 link and your POD will default to Combo or Stack Power amp with a DT which explains the minimal effect of changing the EQ since that is for the Front setting...

• Upvote 1

I'm trying to get an understanding of this:

You should use Studio/Direct if you want to use the cab/mic simulation provided in the Pod. 

Other output modes use "live-voiced cabs". The mic model selected has no impact on the tone. The selected cab simply EQ's your tone mildly to slightly mimic the response of the cab, when run through a real guitar cab (or IR). This is no substitute for a mic'ed cab or IR. Without one of those, the tone will be very harsh.

I use 'combo power amp' output mode and go into the 'power amp in' of a practice amp.  I hear more than 'mild' changes to the tone when I select different cabs, admittedly the mic differences are subtle but still noticeable.

What does he mean by 'without a mic'd cab, the tone will be very harsh'?  Is he saying if you go Studio/Direct and select 'no cab' the tone will be harsh?

I actually find the tone harsh when I select 'no cab' using the combo front output mode.

s

I beleive he means selecting Combo/Stack Power Amp into a FRFR solution will sound harsh and that is my experience.  My POD is set for Studio Direct but as soon as I turn on the DT connected with L6 link the POD automatically switches to Stack Power Amp.  Still also connected to my PA speakers from the 1/4 outs, my tone sounds great right up until I power on the DT.  As soon as the POD switches to Stack Power Amp, the sound from my PA speakers becomes thin and nasty harsh yet this same tone through the DT sounds great now!

Changing cabs and mics really does just change the flavor of the tone, sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse.  Changing mics also has an effect but as you noted, much milder.

I have tried both with various cabs and with no cab because I actually like my cab by itself.  There is nothing harsh about choosing no cab if you are playing through a real guitar cab.

Changing cabs and mics really does just change the flavor of the tone, sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse.  Changing mics also has an effect but as you noted, much milder.

I have tried both with various cabs and with no cab because I actually like my cab by itself.  There is nothing harsh about choosing no cab if you are playing through a real guitar cab.

Cheers, I guess his version of harsh is much harsher than what I thought.

As usual with the POD, it comes down to using your ears to get the best result.

s