Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I use Helix as a digial drumset?

its-me

Hi Forum,

just got my Helix LT and I'm still in the process of learning what this thing can and can't do. I want to use the Helix as a kind of digital drumset.  So when I push foodswitch A it makes a high-hat sound, on B a snare, on D a basedrum. 

Is that possible? Could it be added with impulse responses? 

Might be difficult beacause it would not be a response to an electric impulse but rather to an impact on the footswitch.

Would love to hear your opinion or advice!

Check out pg. 47 in the LT manual eh.
If you have a sound module of some type with drum sounds, you can send MIDI CC's via

the Command Center in the LT to fire the sounds you want.
Remember to go to Global settings and turn off the TX MIDI PC setting.  This will prevent the LT

from automatically send a MIDI PC message every time you hit a button.

I have not tried it with my LT.  But I have done similar triggers with the Helix rack & controller.

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2020 at 6:33 PM, its-me said:

Hi Forum,

just got my Helix LT and I'm still in the process of learning what this thing can and can't do. I want to use the Helix as a kind of digital drumset.  So when I push foodswitch A it makes a high-hat sound, on B a snare, on D a basedrum. 

Is that possible? Could it be added with impulse responses? 

Might be difficult beacause it would not be a response to an electric impulse but rather to an impact on the footswitch.

Would love to hear your opinion or advice!

Oh, I hope you didn’t buy a big black box full of digital amp modelling and guitar fx thinking it was a drum machine - you need an 808 for that. Neither is it a trigger for playing back samples - I could sell you an AKAI S950 for that, it’s sitting in one of my racks gathering dust.

You may be able to do something via MIDI to an external sample player, but that would be a lot of tap dancing to create a decent beat.

Are you sure that you wanted a guitar processor, and if you did - did you research what it was capable of doing?

Baffled!

I really do despair!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ryansalmond said:

Not sure why all the disparaging/sarcastic remarks– Helix can do this quite easily.

Yes it can, and the reason for the disparaging/sarcastic remarks from me were because I read what the OP had asked. The exact statement was: -

So when I push foodswitch A it makes a high-hat sound, on B a snare, on D a basedrum”. 

Now triggering loops or starting and stopping a external beatbox (eg BeatBuddy) - no problem.

Although, I would be interested to see how you tap out hi hat triplets using foot switch A plus 4 on the floor, at the same time, on switch D - all while playing guitar. Reminiscent of the old time “One Man Band” characters, cymbals between the knees, bass drum on the back, kazoo and harmonica in a harness and a tambourine on the hat etc.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thx for all the replies! 

of course I knew what I bought and overall I'm super happy with the Helix. Sometimes when I jam with friends they tend to fall out of the tempo, usually stomp to make the rhythm clear. 

Maybe ill try the midi way with my pc, if I do I'll let you know!

• Upvote 1