Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The BEST Feature Ever Added to Helix Is....

DunedinDragon

After having just finished upgrading to 2.92 and having been through all the angst of doing upgrades over the last 4 1/2 years before the release of 2.90, I say the new FW updating feature beats them all other features ever added to the Helix!!!

I'll also say I'll now have very little patience for anyone having trouble with upgrades after all the hell us old-timers have gone through in previous years....

• Upvote 3

ABSOLUTELY!

At the same time we all know that there's a certain percentage of people, in all walks of life, who are EXPERTS at F***ing up a FREE LUNCH!

Then there's the ones who spend a PILE of money on hi-spec DIY computers that no product tester ever imagines including in the test regimen.

And lastly, the well meaning but cosmically unlucky few who somehow wind up living directly above a ley line where NO tech works reliably and EVERYTHING electrical has some kind of incurable HUMMMMMMMM.........

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the people who NEVER READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

I'll also say I'll now have very little patience for anyone having trouble with upgrades after all the hell us old-timers have gone through in previous years....

Well, better get ready for it to hit the air conditioning because the backlash has already started.

Check other threads on here. Note: most of which seem to be originating from first time or lower level posters and the usual "Update brick my Helix" Ye Gods - does nobody ever read the freeking notes, especially with regard USB. I know I shouldn't, but still after 4 and a half years, I really do despair.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool!

• Like 1

Although I think the new update procedure is one of the best things that came with the 2.9 update, there are so many other great things that came with previous updates that I’m not I sure I can agree to the OP’s statement. I think of snapshots, integration of PowerCab+ Remote, IR referencing and several amp and effect models: Litigator, Derailed Ingrid, Placater, Brit Trem, Revv Gen, Cali Texas, Fullerton, Deranged Master, Kinky Boost, Tone Sovereign/Heir Apparent, Cosmos Echo to name but a few.

And the fun thing is someone else may mention a whole list of other things!

Yea, all the "my Helix is bricked" posts always make me nervous when I do updates but I've never had any issues that weren't my fault. Like this upgrade. I do the upgrade, do a factory reset (I just like doing that though I don't think you really have to anymore) and "hey, it's been awhile, I think I'll check out the factory presets."...........What the ?!?!?. My Variax model knob light isn't on and I'm hearing no sound! After having a minor OH NO freak out and getting ready to factory reset my Variax (which was plugged in to the Helix with the VDI when I did the update and made me think "did that do something?") I found what was actually wrong. My master volume control knob was turned all the way down on the Helix. I normally have it disengaged so it's always on full but the factory reset engaged it again, of course. And with the Varaix, I just hadn't pushed down the knob that engages the guitar modelling which, as has happened before, goes to the "off" state when I've done a factory reset with it still plugged in. I've actually gone through this situation before. You'd think I'd remember by now. I've gotta write this stuff down.

The only real issue regarding updates would possibly the Line 6 server not working properly (which, let's be honest, happens quite sometimes). But for that there's the flash files that you can use to do any updates offline. Never had an issue with that.

4 hours ago, EdwinV said:

Although I think the new update procedure is one of the best things that came with the 2.9 update, there are so many other great things that came with previous updates that I’m not I sure I can agree to the OP’s statement. I think of snapshots, integration of PowerCab+ Remote, IR referencing and several amp and effect models: Litigator, Derailed Ingrid, Placater, Brit Trem, Revv Gen, Cali Texas, Fullerton, Deranged Master, Kinky Boost, Tone Sovereign/Heir Apparent, Cosmos Echo to name but a few.

And the fun thing is someone else may mention a whole list of other things!

Says the man that didn't have to endure the upgrade from FW 1.12 to FW 2.0.......otherwise referred to as the Normandy Beach Invasion Release....

• Haha 1

I have one of  the first Helix Floors in the Netherlands and found the update procedure complicated but it never gave me any problem.

I was always a bit nervous because of all the posts of people who did have problems but I guess I was lucky.

Now the procedure is great, BUT............

It would be even better if Helix edit would also auto update instead of needing to download the updatefile and running it manually.

Now you get the Firmware update pop up when you start Edit and need to exit that to update Edit first.

Just saying, no biggy but the workflow doesn't really flow if you catch my drift.

• Upvote 1