Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is This Possible: Laptop -> Usb -> Podhd -> Live Pa?

deadstar86

Hey Guys,

I'm considering buying a PODHD for live purposes. Im a Bassist (playing a BassPOD XT atm) but i have a Laptop on stage

too, so i have to bring an Audio Interface with me too. 

So i ask my self if it's possible to have the POD HD output  my bass signal through one output to my bass amp and the "dry" laptop signal connected via usb to the PA. 

signal 1: bass guitar -> podhd -> bass amp

signal 2: laptop -> usb -> podhd -> PA

I looked it up in the manual  and the forums but couldn't find a definitive answer. 

If somone could help me I'd really appreciate it because it would save me from carrying lots of cables and equipment to the stage.

thx!

What are you using the laptop for? Playing loops or backing tracks of some sort?

The only way it would work is if the audio you playing from the laptop was mono. The POD HD is limited to having two outputs - left and right. So you'd be using one output for the bass and the other output for the audio from the laptop.

Beyond that, though, I suspect that you might run into some pretty annoying noise issues in the way of ground loops.

thanks for your replies, they have been very helpful!

im using my laptop with a midi keyboard to trigger samples or synthesizer bass sounds. running in mono is no problem for me on stage.

i havent thought of the ground loop noise issue … could plugging it into a di box with a ground lift switch help to avoid them? (i have no idea of electricity, but i had issues with noise on stage once and the technician plugged my cable into a di box and the noises were gone)

if that's the case and i can tell the pod unit to send the bass signal through the left output and the (uneffected) laptop signal through the other output that might be a good solution for my problem

i noticed that i could use the cd/mp3 input to connect my laptop to the pod … is it possible to route the cd/mp3 input to one mono output and the bass to the other?

Well, I suppose you could pan everything hard left or right in the control panel for your laptop's internal soundcard.

Honestly, though, I've got to tell you that everything you're talking about doing here sounds kind of, well, jenky. Why not just do it the right way? Plug you're laptop into its own direct box going to the PA and be done with it.

I did this for a while, but running in stereo, and it worked fine for me using VSTs triggered by a keyboard - there is no reason while you should get ground loop problems using USB.  I only don't do it now because I got a much more advanced keyboard that I can load samples into and play tracks - this goes into the FX Loop return.  I wouldn't recommend the mp3 input as that might give you ground loops and I would have thought quite a bit more noise, but whatever works for you...