Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Go as an Instrument Switcher

nmalexandersen

Hello to you all. Hope you all are doing great in there very strange times we live in right now.

My question relates to the new Pod Go and maybe members of the Helix family as well.

We are just collecting information at this point, 

The Guitar player in our band will be using both an electric and an acoustic guitar during our gigs. The acoustic will have internal piezo pickpus. I guess this scenario is quite common.

The plan is for the guitar player to be able to embed guitar management logic into the device he will be using .... 

To make an example with Pod Go ...

• Both the Electric and Acoustic guitars are connected to the Pod Go at all times
  • Only one of these guitar is active at any given time.
  • Preset X on the Pod Go will open up for the Electric Guitar to pass through the Pod, and close out the Acoustic
  • Preset Y on the Pod Go will open up for the Acoustic Guitar to pass through the Pod, and close out the Electric

As for the Pod Go... I guess we will have to use the Guitar input for the Electric Guitar, and the Effect Loop Return for the Acoustic guitar.

For the Electric guitar .... I guess everything is fine

But for the Acoustic .... Do we need to do anything to prep the signal from the Acoustic before it enters the Effect Loop Return Jack .... (the acoustic is a mono source, and is expecting a hi-z input)

We are aware that the Effect Loop Return can be set to instrument level.

Hope someone here has some clever ideas

Additional information:

We plan to use the Amp Out port on the Pod Go to feed a voice processor that accepts the Guitar signal to manage and guide additional Harmonic voices generated in the Voice processor.The Guitar management feature then becomes important, as no cables needs to be dis/re connected to get the Voice harmony function to work.

Kind regards Nils

I think you could do it with a POD Go using the FX Loop return as the second input. Programing the patches would be pretty straight forward. I think what you need to figure out is how much processing in the POD you might need for each instrument and/or would you ever need to toggle the instrument within the patch...A lot to consider. Other than that sounds doable to me.

I do not think that changing Guitars in the middle of a song would ever happen :). Thanks for your feeeback

So you do not expect any audio issues with using the Effect Loop Return (at instrument level) for a Piezo pickup .... with regards to the quality of the guitar sound ?

regards Nils

Edited by nmalexandersen
Added info

hmmm...I don't think I would...It is a pickup alone without an onboard preamp? If it's like most modern acoustics that have a preamp I would not be concerned at all....If it's a pickup alone it could be that a preamp might be needed. Just not sure without knowing exactly what you are talking about....Generally I would think there is enough in the PodGo to setup a great acoustic patch...You could even load an IR if you needed...Seems like a non-issue.

Thanks again spaciatl for your response. The Acoustic in question is a Martin D27 with a preamp on board. We know there are plenty of options for tweaking the sound. Would you recommend the Pod Go ... or should we aim higher ? :)

From what I have been reading elsewhere in this forum ... the Pod Go can also be recommended to our bass player I guess ... Any thoughts ?

Kind regards Nils

Edited by nmalexandersen
Added a question.

It seems like it would work quite well IMO. Martin D27 is great so I think there is plenty in the PodGo to do what you are describing. For what it can do, it is really hard to beat it.

In terms of aiming higher, a Helix and LT are going to give you options you just can't do in the PodGo...Like a parallel dry paths...more blocks...better AD and DA converters...more buttons...more IO options. I would think and LT would be more than enough if you found you wanted to step up. The full one is pretty big but it does that extra bit that is pretty darn cool too.

I had been using a POD HD Desktop for over 10 years now...I am PodGo now...Mainly because I am playing bass more these days and it is more than enough. For my recording I am using Helix Native and PodGo is great for wet and dry track capture...If I were playing guitar more, I might be on the LT and for me it would be the parallel path stuff and more blocks...But I can get what I need from the PodGo no problemo...For bass, I had been thinking about the HX Stomp, but I actually like the PodGo a bit better...For me switching between guitar and bass with different gigs it works great for me...