Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix + MEL9 = ground loop?

emagli

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a MEL9 and have trouble integrating it with my Helix LT, as I am getting noticeable buzz (50 Hz).

Brief description of my setup: external pedalboard with G50 receiver --> digitech Drop --> compressor --> MEL9. The dry output of MEL9 goes to POG2 --> wah --> fuzz --> Helix guitar input. Effects loop 1 has a TC Electronics HoF. MEL9 wet output goes into A/B switch and into return 2. I like this setup because I can program how the dry and wet signals from MEL9 are blended.

The external pedalboard is powered by a power supply with 4 independent sections; one section is split into other independent sections using the GigRig isolator.

I believed I had thought this out carefully, but I am still getting hum noise, specifically from the return 2. Notice that the noise is present even if the A/B switch is off and hence the MEL9 wet out is disconnected. If I disconnect the jack from return 2, it is all dead silent.

Do you have any idea whether a ground loop isolator between the MEL9 wet output and the return 2 would eliminate the hum? Or any other suggestions for connecting the MEL9 to the Helix?

Thanks!

------------

EDIT: I have further investigated this, and it seems the loop is indeed between guitar input and return 1. If I disconnect either of them, the hum goes away.

My experience is whenever even two pedals that are digital in nature are daisy chained, there’s hum of some kind.  Make sure your pog, hof, helix, and Mel 9 are all isolated.

Sean Meredith-Jones

www.seanmeredithjones.com