Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stomp/Helix Q's

dacop13

Here is the deal, I picked a Stomp yesterday and ran it though a Marshall DSL 20w head 4 cable method. My goal in this situation is to still use my Marshall head tone but also add other presets/channels from the Stomp. I created an FX block and then a Preamp block and started messing around with the different Pre's. The first issue I had was volume level, as mostly every preamp is at low volume even with the Stomp volume at 12noon and the Preamp's channel and masters at 7 or 9. This will obviously be an issue playing live. When I used the full AMP selection instead of the Preamp, volume levels were better and some of the AMP sounded considerably better. Does that make any sense? In that scenario I am using the Marshall Poweramp, another Poweramp from the Stomp's Amp mode, and them obviously the Stomp Preamp. Does anyone have an idea on why the preamp volume is so low? And does anyone else with this method and finds the Amps sounds better then using just the Preamps?

Also...if I may, I really want to return the Stomp and get the Helix LT as I really liked the tones I was getting. However I am an old time tube amp user who likes to use a real 2x12 or back line 4x12 cabinets. Besides running the 4 cable method, what other ways can I power that Helix LT so I can used a real cabinet?

29 minutes ago, dacop13 said:

Besides running the 4 cable method, what other ways can I power that Helix LT so I can used a real cabinet?

The 4CM is only necessary if you want to continue using your amp for your basic tone. If you don't care about that, then you can just plug Helix into the amp's FX return, bypassing the preamp and using only the power section to drive the cabinet.

Other than that, the only option for driving a traditional guitar cabinet is a dedicated power amp... we'd be here all day discussing the options. There are dozens to choose from, tube or SS, in every form factor under the sun...EHX makes one called the "44 Magnum", which is no bigger than the average distortion box, and you just stick it on your pedalboard.

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

The 4CM is only necessary if you want to continue using your amp for your basic tone. If you don't care about that, then you can just plug Helix into the amp's FX return, bypassing the preamp and using only the power section to drive the cabinet.

Other than that, the only option for driving a traditional guitar cabinet is a dedicated power amp... we'd be here all day discussing the options. There are dozens to choose from, tube or SS, in every form factor under the sun...EHX makes one called the "44 Magnum", which is no bigger than the average distortion box, and you just stick it on your pedalboard.

Thanks for the reply, I tried using the Stomp through the amp's Return and is sounded horrible. Sounds much better using the 4 cables but that volume issue is a problem.

Thanks for the tip on the 44 Mag, the only issue is that its only 44watts. I am looking to use the Helix LT live. I dont think 44w of SS will cut it.

For the most part, I find that the full amp model sounds better. The reason is that when you use a traditional amp, there's an interaction between the pre and poweramp, and there's a characteristic sound of that amp produced by the pre/power combination. This interaction and overall sound is modeled in the full amp model, but is not reproduced when using the digital preamp into the analog poweramp. The characteristic sound of a pushed poweramp (example: 6v6 vs EL34) primarily comes out at high poweramp levels, which can be modeled in Helix then amplified by your REAL amp without the REAL poweramp adding MORE of it's own characteristic sound until IT is pushed. So, the more clean headroom your REAL amp has, the less it will color the modeled amp's sound. Your 20watt DSL does NOT have a lot of clean headroom, it is designed to get poweramp distortion at relatively low levels.

In addition to the Gain, Master and Channel Levels, the base signal level is set in Global Settings>Ins/Outs by setting the Send/Return Levels to Instrument or Line.

Each Send/Return Block also has it's own Level settings.

How to get it all balanced properly for every possible amp and effects combination? LOTS of HARD work!

OR you could use the Helix as it was primarily intended to be used - with it's modeled amps/cabs/IRs through FRFR speakers OR as an effects processor with your REAL amp.

33 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

For the most part, I find that the full amp model sounds better. The reason is that when you use a traditional amp, there's an interaction between the pre and poweramp, and there's a characteristic sound of that amp produced by the pre/power combination. This interaction and overall sound is modeled in the full amp model, but is not reproduced when using the digital preamp into the analog poweramp. The characteristic sound of a pushed poweramp (example: 6v6 vs EL34) primarily comes out at high poweramp levels, which can be modeled in Helix then amplified by your REAL amp without the REAL poweramp adding MORE of it's own characteristic sound until IT is pushed. So, the more clean headroom your REAL amp has, the less it will color the modeled amp's sound. Your 20watt DSL does NOT have a lot of clean headroom, it is designed to get poweramp distortion at relatively low levels.

In addition to the Gain, Master and Channel Levels, the base signal level is set in Global Settings>Ins/Outs by setting the Send/Return Levels to Instrument or Line.

Each Send/Return Block also has it's own Level settings.

How to get it all balanced properly for every possible amp and effects combination? LOTS of HARD work!

OR you could use the Helix as it was primarily intended to be used - with it's modeled amps/cabs/IRs through FRFR speakers OR as an effects processor with your REAL amp.

You are spot on with the relationship of a real amp's pre and power section. They were made and programmed for each other.

I played with the Global Settings/Ins and Outs. The "In" sounded best at LINE and the "Out" sounded best and louder using "LINE". Not sure why.   

FRFR speakers are not an option for me as I play out allot at a particular club that has a 4x12 cab back line and no cabinets are allowed. And I rather not go through the house PA. Maybe a Kemper 600w head is what I should be looking at instead of the Helix?

I was messing around with the Stomp today and ran it into an Orange 15w amp, directly into its Return. I find adding an EQ after the PREAMP block helps shape the tone tremendously. I was able to bring most PREAMPs to life by tweaking the EQ. This find could change my mind into getting a Helix LT.