Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New POD Go freezing up

plazo

I pre-ordered my POD Go back in February and received it in early May.  In the few weeks I've had it it has frozen up at least three times forcing me to turn it off and back on. Once it froze in the initial boot up screen showing the software version and at least twice it has frozen in player mode with the individual lights on. Repeated pushing of the buttons accomplished nothing, the volume pedal did nothing for the sound...it was completely locked up.  I had to turn if off and back on again.  Anybody else having this problem.  I have checked for software updates and there are none. 

THis has happened to me several times in the two weeks I've had it. I would just cycle the power and it would boot up normally. It's just a little annoying but since it doesn't recur while playing I haven't really thought about it much. I might open a ticket if it keeps happening.

I've had mine about a week & mine has frozen up twice while booting.  I'm on 1.10.  Looks like this is a known issue:

Known Issues in 1.10

• On rare occasions, POD Go can fail to fully boot up. Just turn it off and back on again and all should be well
  • While updating the firmware, we haven't yet made a cute little "Updating..." graphic. Instead, the screen slowly fades to gray
  • The Tuner's Output parameter does not currently affect audio from the AMP OUT jack
  • On rare occasions, after swapping the locations of two stomp footswitches, pressing one switch may display parameters for the other
  • Pitch/Synth > Simple Pitch and Dual Pitch can exhibit subtle artifacts when the Delay parameter is set between 0.4 and 0.7
  • A minor pop can be heard when selecting IRs while audio is present
  • POD Go does not need a driver to work with your Mac; just plug in and go. However, it is currently limited to a sample rate of 48kHz. Line 6 is working carefully with Apple and will provide a driver that supports sample rates up to 96kHz

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/pod/pod-go/pod-go-110-pod-go-edit-110-r937/

It has locked up on me several times, more than 20, while programming and using. maybe one time it failed to boot from initial turn on. I have used it for a few live streaming shows now and it locked up on me near the end of a 90 minute show. This needs to be fixed ASAP. does anyone have any info on a new update date?

• 1 month later...

I'm on v1.11 and have had my Pod Go for around 10 days but only actually used it for 3 or 4 days due to work.  I got my first freeze yesterday. I've also had some odd behaviour when using FS7/FS8 (see my separate post on this). 

I really love the tones I'm getting from my Pod Go, and it's design. These glitches/bugs do need sorting out asap - but to be fair I think the Line 6 folk are on the case! 

On the Gear Page, Frank Ritchotte of Line 6 is seeking folk who have a Pod Go that regularly locks up - I think he's found one so not sure if he might still be interested in one or two more -  if you're in the US he was offering an upfront swap and a free copy of Native.  See here:  https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line-6-pod-go.2113195/page-268

I'll ask if he's still looking.

If any of you guys have a unit that dies this regularly please let me know if you are willing to take and advanced replacement so we can get one that we can reproduce. If you are in the US and have a unit that freezes (wexare in the no audio bug already) regularly please email me:

fritchotte@line6.com

My pod go is almost always freezing on load screen or boots up, but I have no audio. I would say 20% freeze, 80% no audio. However this is only happening on the first start, and after a restart it works perfectly. I never had a freeze after it loaded up properly. 

I'm from Hungary

I received my new Pod Go about a week ago.

I updated the firmware to 1.11 also- mine ALWAYS freezes at the boot up screen at initial start-up. A restart always solves the issue.

Shouldn't have to do this.

Hopefully another firmware update is coming out to resolve this issue

3 hours ago, markm62 said:

I received my new Pod Go about a week ago.

I updated the firmware to 1.11 also- mine ALWAYS freezes at the boot up screen at initial start-up. A restart always solves the issue.

Shouldn't have to do this.

Hopefully another firmware update is coming out to resolve this issue

This sounds odd to me. Perhaps I misunderstand. What you describe is not a freeze-up during normal operations. It is a failure to boot and start up properly in one situation and not another.

What’s the difference between the ‘initial start-up’ and a ‘restart’? I understand that the behaviour is different, but aren’t you actually turning the device off and then on using the power switch in both cases? The device doesn’t know or care that you consider one situation to be an initial start-up while another is a restart. All it knows is that the switch has been turned on and it attempts to start up. 

Is there some timing element between powering off and on that makes it different? Perhaps what you call the initial start-up occurs after the device has been turned off for some hours/days and then turned on, while the restart on/off cycle happens within a few seconds immediately after it has just frozen? If this is the case try doing some testing to determine what the critical time interval is. After how long does it no longer ‘restart’ properly but rather fails on its ‘initial start-up’?

I would contact Frank Richotte at Line 6 as he has requested earlier in this thread.

Having the same issue myself. Not having much luck finding a solution. Just about to upload the issue on Youtube to see if anyone else has had similar problem. Only had it a day. Its my first effects pedal and sort of lost confidence in it already. Originally had an unboxing video planned for my Youtube channel but that didnt go well when the box itself looked really dirty. So it was sort of an unboxed already unboxing video haha. Then it keeps switching on and off when connected to Logic and now this issue...considering sending it back for a refund. Not spitting my dummy out...just not confident in the product. It may turn out that Ive done something wrong when updating it...but followed the instructions to the T so im a bit baffled. :-( 

I have been running 1.11 for a couple of weeks also. Tonight alone had it not boot up when I turned it on, froze up twice when I tried to store a preset. Luckily this has happened so much I save almost every time I make a change.

I also have problems with all of the amplifier sounds giving me a odd distortion sound when I take the Drive above about 4. Sounds like an amp with a 4 X 12 speaker cabinet with one blown speaker. Almost a rattle type of sound.

11 hours ago, bassrunner said:

I also have problems with all of the amplifier sounds giving me a odd distortion sound when I take the Drive above about 4. Sounds like an amp with a 4 X 12 speaker cabinet with one blown speaker. Almost a rattle type of sound.

Could it be clipping for some reason?  Are you running other effects or have you boosted the volume anywhere else on the chain?  I think it's probably user 'error' as this isn't really the type of 'bug' you encounter...  It's dedicated software + hardware so if it's working on one unit, should work on all, unless your unit has some physical defect somewhere, but then it would likely apply always and not with just a specific setting like 'drive > 4'...

Could you try just starting from a new preset, with just amp + cab, say Cali Rectifier, increase the drive to 8, should be fine...  I even added EQ +12dB and no issue on my end.  Maybe check your global EQ...   Plus lastly, if you record anything using a DAW, same thing?

I had the Pod Go for  4 days and it just kept freezing or the sound would stop. Sadly I sent it back for a refund and I'll wait to see if the issues are fixed.

If it is firmware it should be fixable but then it should have shown up in testing, I fear it's a hardware fault that has crept in during manufacturer. I have a couple of Pod XT live, a Pod XT, Pod HD, a Pod HD400, Pod XT Pro  and a TT and they have all been fine, although an M5 I had kept locking up too.

Fingers crossed the issues are fixed.

Keith M

Yup, mine is locking up hard. Intermittently, I cannot duplicate it, but seems to occur while editing patches.

Would love to get info from L6 or users about an imminent fix.

I go all the way back to the Kidney Pod and early Variax, I really dread calling L6 support.

I haven't in a Long time ....Not sure if they still answer a phone anymore.

On 7/25/2020 at 9:19 PM, bassrunner said:

I've heard ghosting on certain notes on this( Pod Go)  as well as the Helix. This does not happen with either of my 2 Kempers.

31 minutes ago, sidsimo said:

I've heard ghosting on certain notes on this( Pod Go)  as well as the Helix. This does not happen with either of my 2 Kempers.

Well, ghost notes happen on real amps... It’s not really a result of modeling or tubes, per se. It’s just what happens when you start distorting a signal, to a degree. It’s worse on some amps than others. Cliff from Fractal Audio gives a good description of it here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ghost-notes.126903/

On 7/29/2020 at 12:43 PM, sidsimo said:

Yup, mine is locking up hard. Intermittently, I cannot duplicate it, but seems to occur while editing patches.

Would love to get info from L6 or users about an imminent fix.

I go all the way back to the Kidney Pod and early Variax, I really dread calling L6 support.

I haven't in a Long time ....Not sure if they still answer a phone anymore.

Yes, this is the problem I'm having also.  Sometimes it won't fully boot up but mostly it's when I'm editing patches.  Suddenly I'm stuck and can't do anything else but power off and turn back on again. Whatever sound was on at the time stays on but can't change volume or change the patch or back out of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 10:20 AM, grdGo33 said:

to 8, should be fine...  I even added EQ +12dB and no issue on my end.  Maybe check your global EQ...   Plus lastly, if you record anything using a DAW, same thing?

I get this straight out of the Headphone output, to a sound board, through my DAW and with 3 different guitars. Using the Factory Presets or doing as you suggested and starting with just an amp and building from there. It is on all of the amps as far as I can tell, with and without cabinets. I have sent it back to Sweetwater for repairs. Will post how things work out. I also send them a recording of several of the Factory Presets with the distortion.

11 hours ago, bassrunner said:

I get this straight out of the Headphone output, to a sound board, through my DAW and with 3 different guitars. Using the Factory Presets or doing as you suggested and starting with just an amp and building from there. It is on all of the amps as far as I can tell, with and without cabinets. I have sent it back to Sweetwater for repairs. Will post how things work out. I also send them a recording of several of the Factory Presets with the distortion.

Sorry to hear that!  Hope your next one works fine... It's a good unit, for the price, I think...  But it does have more than its share of issues, and can be downright infuriating to work with.  (bricked units during firmware updates, bad UI (see my PG Edit thread lol), etc.)  But... When it works, imho, it's great; does so much and really easy to get great tones!

Btw did you say repairs?  I was going to say that at least if there's an issue you can just return it under warranty; but I'd expect them just to ship you another one if there's an issue with yours... Hopefully that's what they did and you won't have to wait a long time for your repaired or replacement unit! (I'm guessing they won't repair it, maybe just test it, notice the defect and send you another one.  HOPEFULLY...!)

• Downvote 1

On 7/29/2020 at 12:17 PM, phil_m said:

Well, ghost notes happen on real amps... It’s not really a result of modeling or tubes, per se. It’s just what happens when you start distorting a signal, to a degree. It’s worse on some amps than others. Cliff from Fractal Audio gives a good description of it here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ghost-notes.126903/

Well, I had responded to this, but apparently L6 didn't care for my opinion, even though I was honest about. 

Took my PGo to a gig, thankfully it didn't lock up until the last song or two. I really want this to be a good investment. I hope it turns out that way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 11:07 AM, grdGo33 said:

Sorry to hear that!  Hope your next one works fine... It's a good unit, for the price, I think...  But it does have more than its share of issues, and can be downright infuriating to work with.  (bricked units during firmware updates, bad UI (see my PG Edit thread lol), etc.)  But... When it works, imho, it's great; does so much and really easy to get great tones!

Btw did you say repairs?  I was going to say that at least if there's an issue you can just return it under warranty; but I'd expect them just to ship you another one if there's an issue with yours... Hopefully that's what they did and you won't have to wait a long time for your repaired or replacement unit! (I'm guessing they won't repair it, maybe just test it, notice the defect and send you another one.  HOPEFULLY...!)

Right now Sweetwater has the unit and is waiting for a part. Really sucks! Been without it for almost a month now. Guess I should have gone straight to Line 6, but Sweetwater always advertises their great service. Would think they would just exchange it also, if that was an option. Should be under warranty.

12 hours ago, bassrunner said:

Right now Sweetwater has the unit and is waiting for a part. Really sucks! Been without it for almost a month now. Guess I should have gone straight to Line 6, but Sweetwater always advertises their great service. Would think they would just exchange it also, if that was an option. Should be under warranty.

I would immediately insist on a replacement as its under full warranty and not to accept a repair. 

8 hours ago, voxman55 said:

I would immediately insist on a replacement as its under full warranty and not to accept a repair. 

I actually emailed service last night about the possibility of returning it to Line 6 for a new one. Ended up talking to service manager (I think he is the manager) and he decided to take responsibility for my unit, pulled one off the sales floor, and is shipping it overnight. That is why I and my band mates continue to work with Sweetwater. It took a little while but I am impressed with the final outcome!

Thank you all for your feedback and assistance!

Just got my Pod Go a couple days ago. Today it froze while trying to change presets and had a "Failure to load" error in Pod Go Edit. Tried changing anything on the unit and it was frozen as well. Still could play through it, so wasn't totally dead, just the interface. Only way to fix it was turn off and back on again.

9 hours ago, frankmorgan13 said:

Just received a brand new unit and it won't boot at all - just stalls at the pod outline logo. Reset (C+D) does nothing. Looks like this is going straight back for a refund.  Hugely disappointed.

Have you tried connecting it to POD Go Edit or Line 6 Updater to see if you can update the firmware?

I installed edit but my PC can't even see the POD - Looks like it can't even boot enough to register as a USB device. Thanks for the suggestion though. How long should it normally take to start - i'm guessing a few seconds? I just assumed it would be as quick and reliable as my old x3.